1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cochell

Discussion in 'Sooner Baseball, Softball, etc.' started by sparx1, May 13, 2006.

1. sportsproducer

sportsproducer New Member

I do contract work for ESPN. That weekend I was in the truck. Many of us working in the truck felt the way ESPN handled this situation was poor.

First, it was a a Thursday-Saturday series. During the Thursday night game the commenattors did not mention it one time. Then the next day we were told to record the return feed from ESPN and the 5:00pm SportCenter. Then at approx 4:50 the two commenators enterd the truck and were talking to the Tech Producer about their conversation they just had wioth Joe C about what was said tuesday night in Wichita.

Then on SportsCenter the story broke at approx. 5:00pm only to find out that the two guys in th ebooth approached Joe C roughly an hour before. All of us, and most had zero affiliation with OU thought it was a low blow when the Studio anchor breaking the story stated "even though these comments where made on Tuesday, Cochelle was still on the bench Thursday night for the opening game against Nebraska."

We were schocked that ESPN handled it that way since we had heard from the commentators that they had just informed OU officials about it a little over an hour before. Why would OU pull Cochelle from the bench on Thursday for something they had no idea about until Friday? That really put OU and Joe C in a bad light. It was not long after that we were told Larry was being suspended and Sunny would coach the rest of the weekend. All of us thought it was crazy for Coach Cochelle to say what he said, especially to two guys he had never met. But we all felt equally that Gary Thorne and the other guy decided they found themselves in a position to make a hews story and they took it.

2. Dio

Dio SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I vote permaban for trey.

3. David Earl

David Earl Administrator

We'll be watching him when he comes back. If he gets out of line, you know what to do.

4. TheHumanAlphabet

TheHumanAlphabet SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Why not? they are used in the same way to denigrate people. H-word (David Earl advise edit) is supposed to be just as offensive.

Why is one group given a pass to say a word? If it is offensive, then it is offensive across the board! I think the blacks have watered down the offensiveness of the word by using it in the varying forms and spellings that is seen today.

Cochell may have indeed embarrassed himself and the university. I don't think it was an intentional incident, nor do I think he was a racist. One can say offensive things and not be a racist, stupid or ignorant perhaps, just not necessarily racist. Your "kkkochell" comment on the other hand is racist and offensive. I am highly offended that you would insinuate he was a klan member when you have NO PROOF!!! Proof of his stupidity, probably, then call him stupid, not a klan member.

Glad you got a time out to think about it!

I am sick and tired of the race card being thrown around...

David Earl likes this.