1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coaching Changes

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by TopDawg, Nov 10, 2010.

1. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

He was the AD at Oregon. Stepped down after a single year. No idea if Mr. Nike had anything to do with that or not, but long post short, he's with ESPN now.

2. badger

haha, just saw frozo's response :D

McCartney had a very difficult situation when he was last wining at Colorado. In a nutshell, he was a Promise Keepers leader, but his players kept getting his daughter pregnant. Sounds bad, but is the truth. He quit for family reasons, which wouldn't exist anymore because his grandkids are old enough to be in college now... like the ghost of Sal Aunese:

[​IMG]

3. Scott D

Scott D SoonerFans.com Elite Member

who has NFL experience with the San Francisco 49ers under the Walsh family tree along with the Oakland Raiders.

4. soonerboy_odanorth

soonerboy_odanorth New Member

badj,

You've got it a little backwards. McCartney founded Promise Keepers following the death of Sal Aunese and the birth of Sal's (who was the only player to impregnate his daughter) and daughter Kristy McCartney's son, TC. He didn't retire from football "due to family reasons", which was following his 1994 11-1 season, but to follow his higher calling first with Promise Keepers, then another organization he founded, Road to Jerusalem.

Here's what Jim Murray of the LA Times wrote lo those many moons ago about the whole affair:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  5. soonerboy_odanorth

Side note: Les Miles, along with McCartney, basically was the one who recruited Sal to Colorado. He held a scholarship for TC at LSU, though I don't think TC was regarded as an SEC caliber QB/athlete. So yes, Les does have a heart. ;)

6. badger

From what I've read, it wasn't just Sal, but other football players that got with his daughter to the point that it got to be too much. Sal was just the first. Thus, there seemed to be family reasons as well as "higher calling" reasons that he quit. I just mentioned Sal's son specifically because it was the most notable one.

EDIT: another sidenote - TC McCartney was a walk-on, not an LSU scholarship athlete, so Les doesn't have a heart after all (just kidding)

7. soonerboomer93

soonerboomer93 Dirty bastard

yeah, he's been in the booth for a couple of our games too, he succs

8. sooner518

sooner518 New Member

that was more of a joke making fun of Canada than it was serious analysis

9. soonerboy_odanorth

What Scott D said... and you have to understand how provincial Minnesotans are. They are perhaps the worst. Yes, even worse than Texans. If someone farts in Timbuktu, Minnesota press will try to find "the Minnesota connection" because that's what sells.

So with Trestman being a TC native, and given his pretty successful career, it would be one of those "one of ours coming home" stories that would indeed make a big splash here.

Also, about Minnesota not being a job to touch with a ten foot pole, OUthunder nailed it. I was going to post something similar yesterday. The right guy could be VERY successful here. Simply put, since Jim Wacker the local talent pipeline has been neglected. The right guy will keep players like Larry Fitzgerald, James Laurinitis, and Seantrel Henderson here.

10. soonerboy_odanorth

You are so right... my old man memory is shorting out these days. I'd forgotton about Kristy's other daliance. (Or maybe at that time in my life with OU football SUCKING A** I just didn't care what was going on elsewhere.)

I have to say it's all a pretty incredible journey by all involved.

Though, I really think CU is making a bad move if they do bring McCartney back. So much has changed. Can he recruit?

11. badger

Agree - but KSU bringing their old fart outta retirement isn't the end of the world for them, so perhaps CU can find some way to win with their former coach too?

12. Frozen Sooner

Frozen Sooner Soon to be Memphibian

Does he have an 18-year-old daughter? If so, then probably.

OUmillenium and AlbqSooner like this.
  13. Nobody, and I repeat, NOBODY from Minnesota knows anything about football....Nobody

14. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Hooray for this thread!

Hey TD, I have seen two diff links that list BV as a front runner for Colorado as well

15. Collier11

That Colorado team that won it all may have been the most undeserving Natl champion ever

16. oudavid1

oudavid1 @DavidLeake

i think Iowa State can beat them now. JK, they were gonna win anyway.

17. badger

I vote 1984 BYU and 2007 LSU ahead of them :mad:

18. soonerboy_odanorth

Agreed.

19. Frozen Sooner

Frozen Sooner Soon to be Memphibian

[​IMG]

20. Collier11

They were both average but that Colorado team had the 5th down game against mizzou that they shoulda lost and a phantom clipping call against ND in the Championship on a PR for a TD or ND wins