1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bracketology

Discussion in 'Sooner Basketball' started by badger, Jan 15, 2013.

1. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Bracketology updated today. We are still a 5-bid conference with Baylor among the first four out:
    Kansas 1-seed (facing 16-seed Northeastern in Kansas City)
    KSU 3-seed (facing 14-seed South Dakota State in Kansas City)
    Poke 5-seed (facing 12-seed LaSalle in Salt Lake City)
    OU 11-seed (you are gonna hate this... IN AUSTIN vs 6-seed Butler)
    ISU 11-seed (6-seed Colorado State in Auburn Hills... I think that's a Detroit burb)

2. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

11 seed is too low, but if the Sooners take care of business the rest of the way, that will take care of itself.

When I heard that KU was a projected 1 seed, I almost choked on my coffee. Although they have just as much of an argument as any of the other projected 1 seeds, if there was ever going to be a 16 beating a 1, this could be the year (and I'm not just referring to KU).

The rest look fine.

3. kevpks

kevpks New Member

I think the experts are right about OU being in the 8/9 range right now. If we win out and win a Big XII tournament game, we even could move up a bit.

4. badger

Time for another update on the men's side -- 5 bids still! Iowa State is now among the "last four in," while Bailure, fresh off a loss to whorn, is among the "next four out." I'd say both teams need good showings in both regular season finales AND the big 12 tourney at this point to escape the NIT.

Being one of the lasties means a play-in game projection for I-State. ESPN has 12-seed play-in versus Temple, with the winner facing UNLV in Salt Lake City.

Bailure is hosting KU 6 p.m. March 9 (Saturday I think) while Iowa State has two reg season games -- hosting Poke Weds then at WV on Saturday/March 9.

Kansas 1 seed at KC
    KSU 3 seed at KC

That is huge for both of them being able to be at the Big 12 tourney in KC (only the womens is in Dallas this year) and then go to the NCAAs at the same place... assuming they don't fetal position in the next week.

OSU up to 4 seed at San Jose
    OU up to 10 seed at Auburn Hills (Detroit)

But I bet either of these would love to slip into a KC regional instead, even if it means a lower seed overall.

Poke finishes its regular season tomorrow at ISU and hosting KSU Saturday/March 9.
    We host WV tomorrow and go to TCU March 9/Saturday.

5. badger

And now, the women:

Kansas has been downgraded to "first four out," giving the Big 12 six bids. If you pay attention to the top 25, this is about right, as Baylor is our only ranked team left. See? Baylor is bad for the conference and needs to go to the Sun Belt asap.

Baylor 1-seed in Waco
    ISU 6-seed in College Park
    Pokette 6-seed in Spokane
    Texas Tech 6-seed in Lubbock
    OU 8-seed in Storrs, yes that Storrs, the one where UConn is (a 1-seed in the same bracket, gag)
    WV 9-seed in Columbus

While I glare at the idea of playing UConn in Storrs for the tourney, the NCAA needs to do this for the early rounds for the womens tourney to continue building the local fanbases. As much fun as it was opening the tourney in Tempe, Az back when I was in college, the crowds were sparse and would have been much more lively in Norman (where we would have gone, had we beaten Stanford, grrrrr).

I think the Big 12 all can't wait for Baylor to be out durrrrrrk durrrrrk (i mean dunk dunk) Griner. For all the BS the Big 12 went through lately with being fair on TV payouts and not catering to just one team, it's time for more parity in the Big 12 womens basketball competition... and yes, I realize that the Big East with UConn probably thought the same thing for years without results... and now the Big East is in shambles with a sh!tty TV deal, so don't even try that logic.

6. sluggo sooner

sluggo sooner New Member

Is Stephen F. Austin the only Texas school with a chance at being selected?

7. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

So now we play North Carolina? Ugh

8. 8timechamps

I think so. Funny huh?!

9. Soonerfan88

Soonerfan88 Well-Known Member

Jeebus, who thought holding any part of the tourney in Lubbock was a good idea?

10. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

Twitter Feed....

PaulBiancardi Paul Biancardi
    #UNC playing a new style of BBALL called " Small Ball" PJ Hairston at the PF spot. Must defend them by chasing #TarHeels off the 3 PT line.
    4 minutes ago

11. Blue

Blue SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Question about Big 12 tourney seeding. It looks like we and OSU will both be 12-6. Who gets the 3 seed? I would much rather play Baylor first round than Iowa state.

12. CowboyMRW

CowboyMRW Wrestling is OSU

We have to lose our last two games to drop to 12-6...

13. Blue

Blue SoonerFans.com Elite Member

1 down, Kstate to go....

14. 8timechamps

You mean your last game. Is that game at K-State?

15. 8timechamps

That's a good question, because it's very possible that it ends that way. Since we split the regular season games, they'd probably have to go to some crazy tie-breaker, like which coaches wife makes the best mashed potatoes.

16. badger

Altogether now lets remind poor cowboy that his pokes just lost to isu :D

...on a wide field goal, giving you your only loss of the season and eliminating you from nat'l title contention :stunned:

8timechamps likes this.
  17. 8timechamps

[​IMG]

18. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Brandon Weeden was on my flight back to OKC from Houston, even though he is a starting QB in the NFL, I had no desire to get an autograph, pic, or even talk to him...BOOMER!

Now back to hoops, good win tonight...we are proving to be a pretty tough and resilient team. It would be a shame if this team doesnt go out with atleast 1 NCAA win

19. Salt City Sooner

Salt City Sooner New Member

We'd get the 3 seed. Tie breaker is going down the standings list from top to bottom & comparing the records of the teams in question vs. those teams. We'd be identical until you get to Baylor, whom OU swept, while OSU split with.

8timechamps and Blue like this.
  20. badger

Welcome to an alternative reality known as last August :D

1 seeds: Kentucky, UCLA, Indiana and Louisville

Big 12's 5 bids:
    Kansas 2-seed
    Baylor 4-seed
    Texas 7-seed
    KSU 8-seed

Things look weirder in November:
    1 seeds: Ohio State, Kentucky, Indiana Louisville

Big 12's six bids:
    Kansas 2-seed
    Texas 6-seed
    Baylor 6-seed
    KSU 7-seed
    Poke play-in 13-seed
    ISU play-in 13-seed

OU didn't enter ESPN's bracketology predictions till January.