1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bowl Situation

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Soonerwake, Nov 25, 2012.

1. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

There is just to many really good one and two loss teams this year for the Bowls to be out of options. The Bowl Committees look at things like being able to sell tickets and whether or not the Team they choose has a fan base that travels as well as how many folks will watch the game.

Teams like Kent State are a novelty and the ratings will be high if they keep the Game close but if they get blown out the first 5 minutes....the Bowl Committee will have a stroke for picking them. That's why I think they have no chance with Teams like ours who's Offense has been on fire.

2. VA Sooner

VA Sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Problem is... the Pac-12 championship and the re-match of Stanford and UCLA. If Stanford beats UCLA, then UCLA at 16 would drop below Kent State and opens the door for them to take an at-large bid. Root for Texas to beat KSU and/or Stanford to lose to UCLA to keep Kent State out... or Kent State to lose this weekend.

Lots can happen though... either way, we just need to focus on winning this coming weekend and spending the next 3 weeks fixing our defense.

3. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

By "out of options" I believe the poster meant the BCS rules forced a selection on them and they had no choice. I.e. Kent State, Northern Ill., etc.

The football gods do exist and they might hear us if we all start bitchin' getting screwed by the bowl selection. If they do, that can only lead to one thing: we get whipped by TCU to make us look like morans.

4. Salt City Sooner

Salt City Sooner New Member

They're not eligible to go bowling; season is done.

5. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

any situation resulting from us beating TCU works for me :D

6. Salt City Sooner

Salt City Sooner New Member

If that mid-major is ranked ahead of the champion of an AQ conference (& right now the Big East has no ranked team), then that mid-major only needs to be ranked #16 to get the bid.

EDIT- Whoops, didn't read post #19 by ST before I posted this; the rule is in there.

7. Seamus

Seamus New Member

You're forgetting about Oregon.

Stanford and Oregon likely are the two from the Pac-12. UCLA wins, they're champs -- and Oregon still goes.

8. PDXsooner

PDXsooner Formerly OregonSooner

Here it is: Root for OU to win (Obviously), and one of the following: UCLA to beat Stanford, Norther Illinois to beat Kent St, or Texas (gasp!) to beat K State. Without one of those three games going in our favor, Kent State (4 dead in O HI O) will steal our BCS bid.

9. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Say you went to Penn State, did ya? Er, ah, no! That would be KENT state. That would be our 52nd state, just north of East Carolina.

10. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I don't see how UCLA/Stanford affects OU. The winner gets the Rose bowl and the Ducks will get an at large bid.

11. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

Well Duh. I thought everyone knew that. Thanks for reminding us all....LMAO

I mentioned them as some of the polls have them listed and I think some folks get to looking at our ranking and forget to look and see if the bucknuts are listed or not when they are breaking down the number of eligible Teams for the 10 spots in the BCS Bowls.

12. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

Stanford probably doesn't drop below Kent State, but UCLA would

we need to win and have none of the ranked teams above Kent State drop below them

13. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

We need to definitely win. Then we need K-State to lose to Mack. 2 things. 1) we win the Big XII and 2) Mack keeps his job.

We need this to happen. Do it for Mack! :wink:

14. LASooner

LASooner Active Member

We're talking about Bowl officials in Louisiana, bribes are going to the refs in the UCLA game and the MAC championship as we speak.

15. VA Sooner

I agree with this message... the soundest argument here.

16. VA Sooner

I agree... this is how the Stanford-UCLA game affects us. UCLA would drop below Kent State with a loss and thus KS would get the at-large bid.

17. Wishboned

Wishboned New Member

Would that make Boise State the 53rd state?

18. cvsooner

cvsooner Well-Known Member

I vote for us beating TCU and KSU beating Texas. I want no part of Oregon and that offense vs. our defense in Arizona. Plus, we've been to Arizona four times in the past five years. Enough already.

I'm thinking we're going to wind up in the Cotton Bowl...unless N. Illinois can come through and beat Kent St.

Florida has a terrible, terrible offense but an awesome defense. That might be our best matchup, especially if we can get some of our folks healthy (like Damien Williams, Darryl Williams, Tony Jefferson, etc.)

19. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

i think Michigan would maybe hold NIU or Boise off, if Kent State loses

i don't know if i'm really willing to root against them though.

on the other hand, i think i'd rather not play the Aggies in the Cotton Bowl

20. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

Winning the Big XII is our best option. If we were rooting our Team to win the MNC this year....I see no reason why we would want to root for any scenario other than winning our Conference. If K-State beats Texas then we take whatever comes our way. If we lose to TCU...we don't deserve much more than some Bowl that would make our Fans happy and maybe see Bob play some of our players who will return for next years Rebuilding Team.