1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blame the Big XII: a 12-1 oSu heads to the BCS MNC

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by LSUdeek, Dec 4, 2011.

1. LSUdeek

LSUdeek New Member

Is there any question that a 12-1 oSu team doesn't jump over Alabama simply by virtue of the extra game against a Nebraska or K-State? They may have had a unanimous lead in the computers.

Tidefan36854 likes this.
  2. Okie35

Okie35 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

A one loss team w/o a conference ship has gone to the MNC game before.

3. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

If I'm blaming anyone, it'll be ESPN. They got what they wanted.

If I'm a LSU fan, I'm just praying we don't lose to Bama. Wouldn't that suck? (seriously). You already beat them at their place, that should've been enough.

4. SoonerMom2

SoonerMom2 New Member

You are so right! I thought the same thing -- that OU/OSU game was no different than the AL/AU game -- neither was a championship game. With a 10-team league some worried about this and were told by the Big 12 it won't make any difference as we will move our games to championship weekend. Guess what? It made a huge difference because if he had been a championship game in Jerry's World, they would have jumped AL! If we don't go back to 12 teams, this is going to happen again IMHO!

5. Okie35

Okie35 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Yup ESPN screamed rematch and I think it'll be bad no matter who wins.

8timechamps likes this.
  6. Sabanball

Sabanball Well-Known Member

Deek,

We Bama fans know none of you want to play us again--Tigerdroppings is practically in meltdown mode because of it--but the voters and the system think otherwise. Here's hoping for a good, clean game with no injuries.

Trust me when I say we know our way to the superdome and NO--and how to get the tickets.:subdued:..... RTR

7. Sooner5030

Sooner5030 Well-Known Member

I can't believe our athletic conference took the short term known gain ($/10 vs $/12) over the indirect short and long term costs (true champ game).

everyone makes short term decision because they are rewarded on short term success. The 5 to 7 to 12 year plans are no longer a possibility in our connected world.

8. LSUdeek

LSUdeek New Member

I'm a long term member on 3 LSU boards and this board. Try not to get me confused with most TD members. I'm here sympathizing with the Big 12 mindset while still confident that we can beat y'all a second time.

EDIT: And I don't know if you are a member of Tidefans, but I find it hysterical that Earle still has ALL LSU fans banned. What a poon.

Tidefan36854 likes this.
  9. wishbonesooner

wishbonesooner New Member

I'm afraid you are correct, a watered down Big 12 has already cost a team a BCS shot.

10. OUinFLA

OUinFLA Older Clique Member

Look on the bright side deek, if you beat Alabama again, espn will declare you guys the greatest team of the century, if not the greatest team of all time.

11. Sabanball

Sabanball Well-Known Member

I see...Well, I spent 10 yrs living in OK. I have great respect for the Sooner program, hence the reason I come here often as well.

I think OSU has a great team, and in most years their body of work would have been good enough to get them into the title game, but their late loss to Iowa ST is what hurt them. I think the BCS got it right--the two best teams will play on Jan. 9, 2012.

To put an OU twist on it, back in 1978 I remember Nebraska beat the Sooners in the regular season because of Billy Sims fumbling the game away up in Lincoln. Yet, at the end of the season the Orange Bowl decided there should be a rematch. Nebraska and their coach Tom Osborne, were as I remember it outraged. They were saying many of the things that LSU fans were saying now. OU went on to pound Nebraska in that rematch game 31-24, in a game not nearly as close as its final score. Could something similar happen next month?

12. soonerlaw

soonerlaw New Member

Here's my question. What if LSU and Bama were in different divisions in the SEC and played in the SEC championship game yesterday with the same 9-6 result as opposed to playing in the regular season. At the end, would the voters still want to see a rematch of the SEC championship game in the MNC?

13. Sooner_Tuf

Sooner_Tuf New Member

I'll be rooting for Tide, no doubt about it. While I think it's possible Alabama wins I don't think it's very likely.
    The game should be moved to one of the other BCS Game locations. Then I would like Bama's chances a whole lot more.

14. bluedogok

bluedogok SoonerFans.com Elite Member

"The Face" clip never gets old on this side of that old rivalry...

[video=youtube_share;O8tcxfQ3_bs]http://youtu.be/O8tcxfQ3_bs[/video]

15. mdklatt

mdklatt SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Take out the 'S' and they (we) go at 11-1. They were hurt in the eyes of the human voters by not being an established name. Losing to Iowa State didn't help either, so don't feel too bad for them. You lose a game, you takes your chances.

16. mdklatt

mdklatt SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Probably not. Aside from being ignorant and biased, the human voters also have short-term memory. And yet when the computers disagree with the voters it's obviously the computers that are wrong. :rolleyes:

17. Serge Ibaka

Serge Ibaka New Member

Fact: if Texas* has a season identical to OSU (same players, etc.), they would be heading to the NCG. OSU stayed at #3 because of the name on their helmet.

I would say Oklahoma in addition to Texas*, but our tradition might not have been enough to overcome our reputation for BCS-letdowns.

18. batonrougesooner

batonrougesooner New Member

Blame Baylor. They screwed OSU out of the MNC. Blame Tech as well.

Defeating an undefeated or possibly even one loss OU would have put OSU over the edge. This was supposed to be the defacto conference championship game. It was but without the expected hype.

Ironically ultimately it was OU who screwed OSU out of the game by their crappy loses.

19. Sooner5030

Sooner5030 Well-Known Member

haven't posted it yet but I really think that Tuberville put all his plans/work/ideas/everything into beating OU......at the expense of everything else......horrible

20. TitoMorelli

TitoMorelli New Member

Fact? We have no idea what would have happened under those circumstances. The number 2 spot was Oklahoma State's to keep or lose in November, and they lost it.

If Alabama was good enough to have been voted #2 after last week - when we already knew that they wouldn't be playing in their conference's championship game - then they shouldn't have been penalized this week for not having a game. That the Cowboys finished so close to Alabama in the final ratings most likely says more about some of the fickle voters' distaste for a rematch than it does their feelings about who the best two teams in the country are.