1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big visit weekend on tap.

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by 8timechamps, Jan 15, 2014.

1. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

This coming weekend is shaping up to be the biggest recruiting weekend in Norman since the TCU game (and possibly bigger). So far, the following recruits/commits have all confirmed they will be in Norman this weekend:

DT - Courtney Garnett (Texas de-commit)
    S - Steven Parker (uncommitted)
    DE - Deondre Clark (LSU commit)
    S - Jordan Thomas (Northwestern commit)
    OL - Alex Dalton (OU commit)
    OL - Joseph Paul (OU commit)
    OL - Jonathan Alvarez (OU commit)
    RB - Samaje Perine (OU commit)
    WR - Jeff Mead (OU commit)
    TE - Carson Meier (OU commit)
    LB - Curtis Bolton (OU commit)

7 current commits will be on campus joining 4 others. Garnett, a Texas de-commit is largely believed to be a strong OU lean, Deondre Clark, still listed as an LSU commit, could be leaning toward OU, Steven Parker, who was believed to be going to Auburn this weekend, has decided to be in Norman, and a late addition in Northwestern commit Jordan Thomas.

It's always good to get commits on campus (especially this close to NSD, and the fact that all of them are still being actively recruited by other programs), but the 4 non-Sooner commits, well, this could be a huge weekend and go a long way in getting their signature.

2. SoonerofAlabama

SoonerofAlabama Actual Poor Student

Thanks for the post, always appreciate a little more recruiting info. I saw that a few are visiting on the 24th and 31st as well, any way you could get a current list of those players?

3. 8timechamps

The only two I have confirmed are on the 31st:

DB - Juwan Dowells
    DB - Kendall Randolph

There are a couple of names being brought up, other guys that could visit between now and NSD, but nothing confirmed. I'll update with any additional information I get.

4. Soonerwake

Soonerwake New Member

This is a big weekend. Could be some interesting news come Sunday.. Or not..

5. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I really want Clark, and I'd be pissed if we missed on Parker.

6. 8timechamps

Dowels has confirmed that he will not be visiting Norman. Apparently, he and OU are going their separate ways.

There is a big name being discussed as a possible replacement visitor, but it's still a little early to confirm. I'll update when I know more. It's not Adoree Jackson, but a very good DB.

birddog likes this.
  7. Eielson

Yikes. I thought we were going to be recruiting him hard after Tee Shepard went JUCO.

8. 8timechamps

It was a surprise, but I'm taking a couple of things from it:

1. They must feel like Parker is a lock.
    2. They must feel really good about Randolph.
    3. There could be an ace in the hole.

The 'ace in the hole' would be Cornelius Bennett, a kid from Miami that's come on strong late. If he isn't "the" guy, then I think it's going to be Jordan Thomas (the Northwestern commit). Looks like we're taking 3 more DBs either way.

9. oupride

oupride New Member

I just saw CB Adoree Jackson on ESPN. Lives in Gardena, CA but not from CA, considering LSU, OKLA, Tenn, UCLA and USC. Does he have a visit scheduled?

10. 8timechamps

He already visited (back in October, for the TCU game).

Not sure, but I'm hearing that there is a possibility Stoops could make an in-home visit soon. I know Sarkasian (USC) and Mora (UCLA) have been to his home in recent days.

We're still in the hunt, but not sure how much.

11. Eielson

Yeah, I don't follow recruiting much, but I'd heard we were trying to add 2 CBs (Parker is probably a S, so that matches up with what you're saying). I thought Dowels would for sure be one of them if we didn't get Shepard. After reading some of Randolph's tweets, I think he's probably one of them. Any chance they're thinking about Quick as a CB?

12. 8timechamps

I think ultimately Dowels was an academic issue, because the kid can certainly play. I'll keep an eye on him and see if he ends up at a D1 school, but I suspect he'll be a JUCO guy.

When we first starting recruiting Quick, I'm pretty sure it was to play CB. I still think that's their priority, but in recent months, he's talked about wanting to play WR. After really diving into some film on him, I'm sure Stoops would be okay with that. The kid is good enough to play both sides and be a KR/PR.

13. oupride

oupride New Member

Thanks for the info.

14. Ruf/Nek7

Ruf/Nek7 New Member

Not to include the big In-home visits that took place leading up to this weekend. I am really excited about this class which is a turn of events since midway through the year i considered this a loss and started looking forward to 2015. Now i can anxiously await NSD and then get excited about a 2015 class that could be even better than originally expected (Thanks to Mixon).

15. birddog

birddog SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Towson should be very concerned:). The optimism for our Sooners hasn't looked this good in some time. Nothing better than playoff aspirations to carry us thru ball season. Oh yea.

16. 8timechamps

C'mon Ruf/Nek7, I know you're a fellow 'recruitnik', and you know OU always closes strong. You can never discount a Stoops class (at least not until after NSD).

17. Ruf/Nek7

Ruf/Nek7 New Member

I know I know. I got really weak this year. Between the injuries, QB battles and the bashing of Kush, I jave weakened my overall Sooner fandom. I vow to never let this happen again. It also wouldn't help to avoid talking OU with my dad. Though he is the sole inspiration behind me being a Sooner, it is always doom and gloom for him.

picasso likes this.
  18. 8timechamps

Surprisingly quiet on most fronts, but I think they are keeping the recruits pretty busy. Courtney Garnett is the one guy I think will commit this weekend, so I'll keep an eye out for that.

19. sooneron

sooneron Soonerfans.com Elitist

Sounds like my old man.

20. NorthernIowaSooner

NorthernIowaSooner New Member

What does an off season recruiting visit entail? The Bball team is out of town, seems like a lot of time to fill.