1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backward Pass. What really happened.

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by PalmBeachSooner, Oct 9, 2006.

1. PalmBeachSooner

PalmBeachSooner New Member

I can't say for sure the officials blew the call. What I can say is that they blew their mechanic for a backward pass. If the referee and/or linesman on that side thought it was a backward pass then the mechanic is for either or both of the officials to punch their fist backward to indicate to each other that they have a backward pass. Neither of the officials did this which means they both should have ruled an incomplete pass because neither ruled a backward pass during the pass play.

The second issue is that the referee in his explanation stated that the pass was made from the 12 yard line and struck the ground at the 12 yard line, therefore it was by rule a backward pass. That's true but it is not relevant were it struck the ground because AD touched it before it struck the ground. Therefore, the judgement should have been basedon where the ball was when it touched AD. Since the ball was in the air at that point you can not conclusively determine where it was in relation to a yard line.

My point is, that if the officials had exercised the proper mechanic they would have ruled an incomplete pass since neither indiciated they had a backward pass. An incomplete pass ruling in that case would most likely have been upheld.

Having said that it didn't affect the outcome of the game but it really calls into question what the hell the officials are thinking and doing.

2. TopDawg

TopDawg SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I don't think so. All year the answer to both of those questions has been "nothing."

3. JohnnyMack

JohnnyMack SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Dear God,

Please make me a bird, so I can fly, far, far away.

Dear God,

Dear God,

4. Sooner Born Sooner Bred

Sooner Born Sooner Bred SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Jenny?

5. Sooner_Bob

Sooner_Bob SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Who are you . . . the complaining police!!!!?????? :twinkies:

6. JohnnyMack

JohnnyMack SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I think I just ruined your roommates robe.

7. Big Red Ron

Big Red Ron SoonerFans.com Elite Member

My tickets were on the 10 yard line. That pass went forward by almost a yard and AD hit it backwards. They missed the call and ut got a cheap TD. That's it.

8. Vaevictis

Vaevictis SoonerFans.com Elite Member

That's about where I was, and that's what I saw also.

And as I've said before, the geometry as described by the officials is impossible based upon what I saw. PT passed the ball. It hit AD from behind, then bounced backwards.

It's impossible for a ball to be passed laterally by PT from the 12, bounce backwards off of AD, and land at the 12 yard line. If it bounced backwards off of AD, and landed parallel to PT, then by simple geometry, AD had to be forward of PT.

And since I know I'm going to hear it, I'm not saying that cost us the game. I'm simply stating that that particular call was blown.

It's frustrating because it seems to me that these officials never took math or science past 3rd grade or something. It's geometrically impossible for that to have been a lateral, and that pass interference call by the refs in the Oregon game... it's impossible for a ball to suddenly change its motion vector mid-flight without some outside force acting on it.

I'm really just wondering what the **** is up with these officials. I don't like to be a conspiracy theorist, but the only other option is that these guys are ****ing retards.

9. Pepper

Pepper New Member

With instant replay in effect, the fans should be able to criticize plays like this whether they cost the game or not. The officials blew this call almost any way you want to look at it. And the other fumble which was reviewed- the announcer said that it was not a fumble while watching the slow motion replay. The arguments I have seen that say these plays were called correctly have not convinced me. The instant replay official should have the same equipment and live feed as the announcers.

10. TUSooner

TUSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Let the announcers run the replays! They know everything anyway,
    BRILLIANT!!
    :D :D

11. jccouger

jccouger Member

On ADs fumble. Was that even a fumble? I thought the ground couldnt cause a fumble, or is that just the NFL?

12. Pepper

Pepper New Member

It's obvious the announcers have better equipment (and possibly a better understanding of the rules) than the officials. That's what I'm saying.

13. Big John

Big John New Member

I've heard people say that since the ball didn't actually touch the ground, and that it was Peterson's hand holding the ball that touched the ground forcing the ball to come free that it was a fumble. I'm not sure about that, because whatever touched the ground, the ground still caused the fumble. According to my calculations, the refs are just biased toward OU, but I'm not a doctor.

14. TopDawg

TopDawg SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Then don't be a conspiracy theorist. I think the other option explains things just fine.

15. goingoneight

goingoneight I said Biiiiiiiitch--

And we still lost by 18 points... not exactly a key call IMHO. It just buried us. :(

16. oufan199

oufan199 New Member

My thoughts also, just not in those exact words. OK, so we lose 21-10 instead of 28-10. If you had OU and were getting 12, my condolences.

17. Pepper

Pepper New Member

There was lots of time left. Being down by 11, you can afford to use up more of the clock to drive down the field without going into obvious passing situations. Being down by 18 there was more desperation which led to more turnovers. Who knows how close the final score would have been if the right call was made.

18. Vaevictis

Vaevictis SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Really, I'm on the line on this one.

The level of stupidity with some of these calls rises to, "How they manage to feed themselves? Or remember to put their underwear on before their pants? Or even blow the whistle?"

It's just obscene.

Big Red Ron likes this.
  19. Gearhart28

Gearhart28 New Member

The ball didn't land at the 12, it landed at about the 9.

The ground cant cause a fumble when a player is down. If AP would've kept himself up by using the ball and held on to it, he wouldn't have been called down and could've gained more yards. That's why it was called a fumble.

Recent events aren't a conspiracy against OU by the refs, (although could you blame them?) but just a lot of whining by a fanbase with a poor understanding of the rules.

(I'm not refering to the UO game, that was just **** poor)

Beef likes this.
  20. soonerhubs

soonerhubs SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I'm not gonna rehash, but to say that blown calls wouldn't have affected the outcome is wrong. Especially a "fumble" recovered for a touch down, and a momentum changing pass being called back because the ref thought he saw offensive pass interference. These officials need to think before they make such poor calls. That is all.

Big Red Ron likes this.