1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you OK with 2 and 3 loss seasons...

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Soonerus, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Soonerus

Soonerus SoonerFans.com Elite Member

11-2 or 10-3 ??? They seem to be the norm now...

2. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Under Stoops we've had a shot at a national title every 4 seasons. I'm pretty cool with that.

3. agoo758

agoo758 New Member

Other than the mods and a few mod suckups..... no one on this board is.

4. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! SoonerFans.com Elite Member

If we can beat the cows, orange aggy, and be favored against all but 7-10 folks nationally, from a state where only 5-10 top quality players come from the highschool ranks each year, then Bob is doing a good job, and I'm not perturbed. Mike Stoops is back, and let's see how he works out as DC. I think we will get better, but we have to do better in recruiting. Without a lot of home-grown talent, we have to successfully raid other states, and Lassie Aggy just made that a bit harder.

5. picasso

Take a gander at Switzer's record at OU and get back to us. I know I know, the mods and mod suck-ups were at it back then too.

6. Seamus

Seamus New Member

I am happy with any number of losses?

No.

Have I or am i likely to commit homicide or suicide over it?

No.

7. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

Pretty much....If our coach can seriously contend OU for the NC, or at least the Conference Championship every year, it's hard to really complain, at least for me. Some here might think I'm imagining things that we routinely get jobbed by the refs, even in Norman, but I commend Bob Stoops for putting up with that, and not taking another coaching opportunity.

8. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

Switzer, for most of his OU coaching career, didn't have to deal with scholarship limits like Stoops does. That problem DOES make a difference in the talent level.

9. ouflak

ouflak Oh wow! Oh wow! Oh wow!

I was a season ticket holder during the Blake years.

Seamus likes this.
  10. sendbaht

sendbaht Well-Known Member

Me Too!

11. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

What are our options?
    I dont think a single one of us has any power to change anything

12. prrriiide

prrriiide New Member

Which makes what Stoops is doing all the more impressive. Imagine if Stoops didn't have the scholly limits!

So let's look at contemporaries, namely, coaches that have won a BCS NC with scholly limits:

1998, Fulmer/Tennessee - Had 2 seasons out of 16 with 0 or 1 loss, 1 undefeated.
    1999, Bowden/Florida St. - Had 9 seasons out of 34 with 0 or 1 loss, 1 undefeated.
    2000, Stoops/Oklahoma - Has 2 seasons out of 13 with 0 or 1 loss, 1 undefeated.
    2001, Coker/Miami - Had 2 seasons out of 6 with 0 or 1 loss, 1 undefeated.
    2002, Tressel/Ohio St. - had 2 seasons out of 9 with 0 or 1 loss, 1 undefeated.
    2003, Saban/LSU - had 1 season out of 5 with 1 loss, no undefeated.
    2004, Carroll/USC - had 3 seasons out of 9 with 0 or 1 loss, 1 undefeated.
    2005, Brown/texass - has 4 seasons out of 14 with 0 or 1 loss, 1 undefeated.
    2006 & 2008, Meyer/Florida - had 3 seasons out of 6 with 1 loss, no undefeated.
    2007, Miles/LSU - has 1 season out of 7 with 1 loss, no undefeated.
    2009 & 2011, Saban/Alabama - has 2 seasons out of 5 with 0 or 1 loss, 1 undefeated.
    2010, Chizik/Newton - has 1 season out of 3 with 0 or 1 loss, 1 undefeated.

Out of 121 seasons of coaching between the 12 of them, they have exactly 32 seasons with 0 or 1 loss.

The takeaway here is that what the OP suggests (season after season of 0 or 1 loss) is just not possible in this day and age of scholly limitations. Even the best coaches have struggled mightily to get to the 1-loss plateau, and thinking that Stoops or OU are immune to this truth is arrogant poppycock. Put another way, Bud Wilkinson and Bear Bryant would not have been anywhere near as successful under scholly limitations.

So yeah. I'm fine with what Stoops is doing. Do I wish it were better? Of course. But unlike some folks, I took my reality pill this morning.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
    Salt City Sooner likes this.
  13. thecrimsoncrusader

thecrimsoncrusader New Member

I think Stoops has been off just a bit of late, but bringing back Mike Stoops is one step closer to getting back to the very top. Oklahoma hasn't had any national defensive award winners like the Butkus or Thorpe since Mike Stoops left and since Brent Venables was allegedly such a great linebackers coach, shouldn't he of had a Butkus award winner at some point during his 8 seasons as "the man"?

And next season, we will know if Heupel/Norvell or Landry Jones was the problem in terms of offensive erraticness the past few seasons. I already have my answer on that.

14. swardboy

swardboy SoonerFans.com Elite Member

A win against Oklahoma is a mountain-top experience for ANY Division I school. It's equal to a bowl win for them.

When a Big 12 team can go 8-4 after losing it's starting QB the first game of the season, it's extraordinary.

When a Division I team can go with a receiver at QB after dismissing it's starting QB before the season starts, and reach a BCS bowl, it's remarkable (Paul worked at WR the spring before).

I'd say Stoops gets the most out of what he works with. My only hope is that Mike gets a "rougher" brand of defense. And I think he's done very well this year with what he has to work with.

15. picasso

I've often pointed that out here. I was getting at the fact that Switz rarely had an undefeated season and even sometimes, gulp, he lost to an inferior team.

Kansas/cough!

16. picasso

In Thailand? Are we talking sports here or flying projectiles at the strip joint.

17. Jason White's Third Knee

Jason White's Third Knee SoonerFans.com Elite Member

So this problem with offense, I will postulate that our o line has been decimated over the years and haven't been as solid as needed for these perfect seasons that are demanded. The running game is not up to par. With the attrition issues that we have had I am amazed that our offense is as good as it is. Feel free to blame Landry though.

18. 5thYearSooner

5thYearSooner Member

As much as our offense entertains us by demolishing some rivals (63-21), I think its time for us to be a run oriented offense and mean mother f***ing defense

19. MojoRisen

MojoRisen New Member

Our attrition rate has been way to high, you need upper class players... We have turned over lots of players injury, leaving program or suspended etc.

We should take a long look at why we are loosing linemen to attrition every year.

20. Boomer_Sooner_sax

Boomer_Sooner_sax New Member

Ok, before you go and fire Stoops, remember the drunk and Blake when you go and fire a coach winning games. That being said, I am fine with that for a couple of years if we make runs every few years. You are not going to win every year. It just isn't going to happen, but a few of those with a chance at the MNC is the most you could ever ask for. We are only 3 years removed from a BCS Championship game. It is ok, I promise.