1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone doing good with their garden this summer???

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by Shakadoodoo, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Memtig14

Memtig14 New Member

Plants look great!

Not one bloom.

Not one single okra pod. Worst ever!

2. delhalew

delhalew SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I forgot about potatoes. My golden potatoes were good...pretty hard to **** that up.

3. SanJoaquinSooner

SanJoaquinSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

My tomatoes are just now peaking. Ate half dozen for lunch and then used some in a greek cucumber salad for dinner.

4. sooner59

sooner59 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I'm in an apartment, so I just have herbs on the deck. However, my basil, rosemary, and thai basil are doing well. And they were very good in my spaghetti earlier as well.

5. Fraggle145

Fraggle145 Drunky Town Limnologist

My squash is killing it too, but other than that I cant get anything to fruit. The tomatoes are rotting on the vine after a day or so of producing visible fruit. Cucumbers are starting to go well. Basil is doing okay, but keeps bolting. Some Jalapenos and Cayennes.

You doing anything else special to your tomatoes?

6. delhalew

delhalew SoonerFans.com Elite Member

This is the first time I've ever had Basil refuse to grow. I must have waited too late.

7. sooner59

sooner59 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Since we are averaging 103 degrees daily here in Tulsa, and since they are on my deck...I keep them near the building where they don't get much direct sunlight during the day. And I water them daily. Seems to work ok. I bought them at Lowes and just potted them myself. We have been clipping tons of herbs in the past month or so. Its actually growing really well.

8. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

Nope. We planted them inside double-stacked truck tires, and used a mixture of river sand, mulch from the Norman compost place, and cow ****. We put leftover hay on top to hold the moisture. No weeding, takes less water, and so far so good. Of course it does look like redneck city, but at least the rows of tires are lined up perfectly straight.

9. jk the sooner fan

jk the sooner fan loved by all

whitewalls showing or hidden?

10. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

Heh, you used tires fer yer maters I bot 2 ten foot long feed troughs for mine.

2 old truck tires for my cucumbers and cantaloupe :cool:

11. KantoSooner

KantoSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Herbs: Doing Great! Lemon grass, basil, sage, pineapple sage, dill, parsley. All in raised beds or barrels
    Tomatoes: Big Boys: meh. Grape: producing like hell. Solar Fire: burned up, bastards. Patios: meh.
    Cucumbers: 1 of 4 plants made it and is producing like a champ. 2-3 big ones every day.
    Peppers: just really beginning and producing nicely.
    Okra: going like hell.
    Greens (chard, kale and mustard): best year in a while.
    Eggplant: 1-2 a day

All in raised beds or barrels and this year I built in a soaker hose network that cover the whole damn thing (most godawful manifold system you'd ever want to see, but you just position the leakiest joints next to the cucumbers...
    Also sprayed with the Bayer broad spectrum bug killer about week 7 to make chemical warfare on my friends, the spider mites (who ate my tomatoes last year).

...But Bartlesville has been luckier than most places in OK for rain this year and that's really been the difference.

12. Lott's Bandana

Lott's Bandana SoonerFans.com Elite Member

My basil, mint and lemongrass is doing fine, my Anaheims are coming in but my Habanero notsomuch.

All containers on my patio...I water the carp outta them and they are hangin in there.

13. okieavatar

okieavatar New Member

I planted early in the year, mid-March, and I had a great crop of radishes and onions. The carrots turned out okay but stunted. The cauliflower plants looked GREAT and produced NOTHING. The yellow squash and zuchini plants looked great and produced NADA. Few puny roma tomatoes. My green peppers took a long time to grow and then I did get several peppers and then the heat caught up with them and I couldn't get enough water onto them...so I'm basically done with the garden this year...

14. GDC

GDC New Member

Everything's doing great, tomatoes, peppers, onions, okra, dipper gourds, squash, etc.