1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another way teams emulate what Bama does

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Jacie, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Jacie

Jacie SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Bama arguably makes a laughing stock of college football. No, they don't win the title every year but the discussion over who will always begins with them.

To that end, other schools study what they do down there in Tuscaloosa for tips and tricks on how to elevate their programs. One of these was on display Thursday night during the tOSU @ Indiana game.

Many schools needing a head coach will hire someone whose experience is they were a coordinator. Saban turned this around, hiring a head coach to be a coordinator when he made former USC head coach Lane Kiffin his OC. About the only knock on Saban's teams over the years have been the lackluster offenses as opposed to those great tide defenses. Kiffin was brought in specifically to address this and it must have worked. Certainly, one could argue that without him they suffered a loss in the most important game of the season.

So back to last night's game, everyone knows Urban Meyer is hungry for another title and of course, needs to beat Bama since it was Saban that ultimately led to him leaving Florida and the SEC. There is also the issue of a very embarrassing performance versus Clemson in the semifinal game last season, the first ever shutout of an Urban Meyer-coached team. Taking a page from the Nick Saban book on how to win National Championships, the fix was to hire former Indiana head coach Kevin Wilson to serve as his OC.

But Meyer went a step further. If one former head coach on the staff is good, two is better. He hired former Rutgers head coach Greg Schiano to be his DC. Take that Saban!

So what does that mean to us? Let's see, are there any offensive or defensive gurus who also happen to have been head coaches out there Lincoln Riley could bring in as a coordinator?

A partial list might include Les Miles, Hugh Freeze, Mark Helfrich, Sonny Dykes, dare I mention Mangino?

Just a thought . . .

2. mainline13

mainline13 Member

Um, Mike Stoops was a head coach. You sure Saban wasn't copying Coach Bob? ;)

3. Jacie

Woo hoo! The man wins the prize!

Yes, OUr own Bob Stoops beat Nick Satan

4. mjhurani

mjhurani Member

And Ruffin was HC at ECU so we have 2 former HC's on our staff now

5. echo101

echo101 Member

It takes more than having extra HC's on your staff to win a HC. Meyers will be lucky to win his conference this year. Michigan or Penn St could knock them out and Wisconsin is also better but not sure they play each other. I'll just put it this way... I don't expect to see tOsux anywhere near the top 4 at season's end.

6. Jacie

Since you bring em up, here is tOSU's remaining schedule and projected, my projections that is, outcomes:

Army = W

UNLV = W

Rutgers = W

Maryland = T

Nebraska = W

Bye

Penn State = L

Iowa = T

Michigan State = T

Illinois = W

Michigan = L

They are 1-1 right now, I give em 5 more W's and 2 more L's to go 6-3 with the 3 toss-ups.

I expect them to take 2 out of the 3 T's and they finish 8-4 with a bowl game to play but . . .

. . . OMFG, if they were to lose all those T's and go 6-6, that would be enough to have the buckeyes screaming for Urban's replacement.

7. TAFBSooner

TAFBSooner Well-Known Member

Not to argue with your larger point, but:

No way in hell or its suburbs do we bring Lester anywhere near OU. The one exception is on the opponent's sideline, but that would mean he would be working as a coach again, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Not even texas.