1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

according to my Dad: Friday is the last day for O'Connell's old location

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by King Crimson, Dec 30, 2010.

1. King Crimson

King Crimson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

if i was still in the state, i'd go....maybe p*ss in the parking lot for old times sake.

the campus corner location is cool, but not the same as the Lindsey locale. not the same history.....going back to the Switzer years.

2. mgsooner

mgsooner New Member

I'll believe it when I see it.

3. Boarder

Boarder Yacht Rocker

From a semi-reputable source, it's the 23rd now.

4. jumperstop

jumperstop New Member

Of January? It would be unfair to close it while all the students are on break and all the fans are in Arizona.

5. TheBobbyTrain

TheBobbyTrain New Member

how many last days has this place had now?

6. soonerbub

soonerbub New Member

March 17th maybe??? :(

Ahh the good ole days

7. Boarder

Boarder Yacht Rocker

8. nmsoonergirl

nmsoonergirl New Member

This makes me sad. Are they levelling that lot?

9. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

The university owns it now, so my guess is that Uncle Dave wants to make more money off of it -- why just have a restaurant when you can have a ground-level restaurant with 20 floors of university housing (and absolutely NO parking!) instead? :rolleyes:

I think there will need to be some re-zoning in that area first, which should be no problem. If I recall correctly, OU owns virtually every probably south of the stadium to St. Thomas More (the Catholic church across from the Huff's parking lot) along that street now (Jenkins is it?). It wasn't eminent domain - we're not Pokes - Boren just got the properties as they came up for sale I think.

10. King Crimson

King Crimson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

oh, OU has done eminent domain before. all the Sarkey's Energy tower land used to be homes....OU also nixed the street Fairie Queen Lane (Edmund Spenser poem) to make tail-gating space and park benches that get used like 6 times a year. imagine your neighborhood gets torn down so a bunch of yahoos can booze it up on 6 Saturdays.

i have a friend who lives on Page Street about 50 yards from where the line used to be.

i get my "townie"/cutter dander up sometimes.

11. Boomer.....

Boomer..... .....Sooner!

I thought the area was going to be used for a parking lot or a parking garage, not more student housing.

12. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

i thought they were wanting to develop all the way down to the research campus (Hwy 9)

i had kinda forgotten about them supposedly closing on 12/31, i would have totally gone before i left for AZ

losing that Padthai kinda sucks, but losing O'Connell's seems really dumb, and i barely go there.

13. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Will the alley in the back still be available for whizzing?

14. Boomer.....

Boomer..... .....Sooner!

Only on St. Patrick's Day.

15. SoonerStormchaser

SoonerStormchaser Emma's Daddy!

Lived in Norman off and on since 01...have yet to go to either O'Connells or the Mont...and I still feel like I haven't missed anything.

16. Boomer.....

Boomer..... .....Sooner!

Why do you hate swirls?

17. Aldebaran

Aldebaran New Member

You have missed out.

18. OUMallen

OUMallen New Member

You've majorly missed out.

Did we get confirmation on whether O'Connell's on Lindsey was closed?

19. SpankyNek

SpankyNek New Member

The article posted earlier says Jan 21st.

I'm in Houston, or I would stop in for a Ranch Hand, Monte Christo, Beefeater, or an ETW (along with a pitcher of Killians) in memoriam

20. sooner59

sooner59 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

A few years ago when I was on the Norman campus, there was an article in the OU Daily where Boren was discussing putting in Condos for older alumni, and he basically flat out said he was wanting more alumni money. I thought that was strange, but not surprising.