1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2014 Men's tournament watch

Discussion in 'Sooner Basketball' started by 8timechamps, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

AZ is the brutal one, but any of the 1 seeds would have been brutal in my opinion. San Diego State is very winnable, especially considering two of the other 4 seeds were Louisville and Michigan State. If we can get past Arizona (obviously a big if), I think there's a decent shot that we get a team like Baylor in the Elite 8.

2. Eielson

If we lose to ND State, then it didn't matter where we got put in the bracket. ND State is a good team, and it is by no means a blowoff game, but if we can't beat them, then we probably wouldn't beat anybody in the field of 32.

3. Temujin

Temujin New Member

That's probably because they were busy figuring out how to screw Wichita State.

The one thing I don't care for - 3 Big XII teams in the same region. But...I don't see any team in our region that's unbeatable either. I actually think this is about as good as it can be for OU.

4. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

I didn't really like the 3 Big XII teams in the same bracket either, but when you get 7 teams in, it's going to either be that, or a region with more than three. There wasn't much the committee could do that would have been much different.

As for Wichita State, I'm still not sure they are as good as their record, but they are going to get a chance to prove it, and that's all they could really ask for. After you get past opening weekend, there aren't any "easy" games for anyone.

I'm intrigued by the potential Oklahoma State/Arizona match-up. U of A could be getting more than they bargained for.

Kinda bummed that we could see San Diego State again, but I do think we are the better team this year (unlike last year).

Lot's of interesting story lines this year.

5. hawaii 5-0

hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Is there gonna be a SoonerFans Pool ?

5-0

6. Eielson

2003 - Butler makes a Sweet 16 run. As many of you fondly remember, Hollis Price and company ended that Cinderalla season.
    2006 - Wichita State makes a Sweet 16 run. They lost to George Mason, a team that they had beaten twice in the regular season.

2010 - Butler loses in the championship game
    2013 - Wichita State loses to eventual National Champion Louisville in the Final Four

2011 - Butler returns to the championship game without their star player.
    2014 - Wichita State returns in full force, and...

7. Salt City Sooner

Salt City Sooner New Member

They only played GMU once in the regular season that year (bracket busters game @ Koch I happened to be at) & lost by 3. They did beat GMU @ their house the next season though.

8. Blue

Blue SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I'm just a caveman, but your math scares and frightens me...;)

9. Soonerjeepman

Soonerjeepman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

lol...yeah, hmmm, 7/4....2 in 3 brackets 1 in the other...

I do think WSU got screwed. Myabe they haven't played the toughest schedule...but they won ALL their games. I wouldn't say they are the overall 1, but definitely should have gotten the 2nd #1. UK an 8 seed? UL a 4? wth....

10. Eielson

You're right. I had that all mixed up.

I knew that GMU had barely gotten an at-large bid that year, and I had thought they were in the same conference. I was thinking that Wichita State got the automatic berth and won the conference, but on second look, it appears that both teams got at-large bids, and they're not in the same conference. I guess that's what I get for going off the top of my head. I knew a woman that told me she had them both in her Sweet 16 before the tournament started, and I almost felt sorry for her. That year completely changed my perspective on mid-majors.

11. Eielson

Also, I like having the 8, 5, and 6 seeds in the same bracket. It increases the odds of a Final Four team tremendously. If OU is playing OSU for a trip to the Elite 8, then that's a really good thing for the conference. If OU is playing Baylor for a trip to the Final Four, that would be amazing for the conference. Regardless, this better not vault OSU into having an actual dream season. I've seen a lot of people picking OSU to beat Arizona, which I would not be opposed to, but if they beat us I'd vomit.

12. Temujin

Temujin New Member

Funny thing is that if all things fall exactly right (would take a miracle), once we get to the sweet 16, we could play only Big 12 teams all the way to through the national championship. Hehe.

13. Temujin

Temujin New Member

Yeah, I was indifferent about WSU before the bracket came out. I used to live in Wichita and they sucked most of my life, but while I've thought their run last year and this year was kinda cool, I really didn't care that much. But after watching them get the shaft in this bracket, I'm actually going to root hard for them to make history.

14. birddog

birddog SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Other than "texass sucks", this is the most obvious post I've seen here. Of course it doesnt matter where we're placed in the bracket if we lose. High seeds struggle all the time their first game then hammer the next team because of matchups, talent, and foul trouble. We have a good chance to win two games because of Lon and I'll consider this season a success if we just win one game. We aren't an nc built program, we support the Sooners because that's what we know.

15. Eielson

I disagreed with you...so that's weird.

16. birddog

birddog SoonerFans.com Elite Member

17. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Every Big 12 tourney game (even the OU women's one on Saturday) is up on vBookie now. I was late to the party on WVU's NIT game tonight, so I will do their next one if they win tonight. And if they don't... well, don't you get used to losing after awhile? Betting lines are courtesy of oddsshark. If you have any favorite players you want me to include in vBetting options, let me or flak know

18. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

Hahahaha.

For some reason, I was only accounting for 3 regionals (thinking that dividing 7 teams through those three would require a region with at least 3 Big XII teams). I realized it after I posted, but didn't go back and edit because I am lazy. Well done Blue, you passed the first of 38 tests to become board wizard.

19. Blue

Blue SoonerFans.com Elite Member

<puts on robe and wizard hat...>.

20. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

I have vUpdated the OU game on vBookie. As it turns out, there will not be any WVU NIT events. Way to make the Big 12 look strong, mountie. We should totally send you back to the Big East with a bow for that... but then you'd never be able to play football again