1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2014 Men's tournament watch

Discussion in 'Sooner Basketball' started by 8timechamps, Mar 1, 2014.

1. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

Thought we should go ahead and start one of these since it appears our boys are locked into the big dance. Another good win over Texas today closes out a season sweep of Texas and OSU. Now we're playing for conference seed, and although the announcers in today's game said we would be a 5 seed if the season were to end today, that was based off of conference standings before any of today's games. If the season were to end now, OU would be a 3 seed (tied for 3rd with Texas, but a 2-0 head-to-head would put us ahead of the wHorns). If K-State can knock off ISU tonight, then things start getting really interesting. Anyway, enough with the conference stuff, lets talk about some teams on the bubble (by the way, feel free to add any tournament team related info here):

Right now, I think the Big XII has 4 teams locked into the tourney:

Kansas
    Oklahoma
    Iowa State
    Texas

The teams on the bubble from the Big XII are:

K-State
    Baylor
    Oklahoma State

Of the three bubble teams, K-State is in the best position to earn their way into the big dance. First, they have a shot to knock off ISU tonight, and will have a chance to state their case over Baylor in the final regular season game. They have the highest RPI of the three (37), and are absolutely capable of making some noise in the conference tournament. They get ISU at home tonight, and even with a loss, I think they get in with an at-large bid.

Baylor still has an outside chance at a spot, but they MUST beat ISU and KSU, AND win at least their opening round game in the conference tourney to have a shot. It's not looking great for the Bears, but it's not impossible.

Oklahoma State is hanging by a thread. The only way they get in is to finish out 3-0 (KU, KSU & @ISU). Let's be realistic, that's not going to happen. Otherwise, the only shot they have is to win the conference tourney, and their chances are about the same for that.

Right now, my #1 seeds are:

Florida - Can't stand them, but they belong as a 1 seed.
    Arizona - Not much to say here, they had an injury-caused bump earlier in the year, but I think they also deserve a #1 seed.
    Kansas - I had Syracuse here, but their poor play recently combined with a blowout loss today to Virginia knocked them out. Kansas is the best team in the best conference this year, deserving of a #1 seed.
    Wichita State - ASSUMING they win out and win their conference tournament. I'm not sure they are a championship team, but going undefeated is absolutely worth a #1 seed, even in a mediocre-to-poor conference.

That's my top 4 for now...a lot can change.

2. Sooner95

Sooner95 Well-Known Member

Re: 2013 Men's tournament watch

#1 seeds for me..

Florida - South - Cant stand them either.
    WSU - Midwest - Locked in as a #1 no matter what they do in MVC tourney.
    Arizona - West - I think they are just about locked for #1 seed as well, barring a complete collapse. They've only lost 2 games, one of which to a AZST squad that may make the tourney as well. Cal is NIT bound.

The East #1 seed is up for grabs between KU and SYC. Syracuse has not played well at all lately and KU has. Personally, just give whichever one wins their Conf tourney the #1 and the other the #2 out East and call it a day. Not like it matters all that much.

As far as the Sooner's. We have 2 games left, both we are expected to win. Not sure of the tie-breakers but it will be a challenge gaining the #2 seed in Big12 tourney for a bye. Otherwise we will have to matchup against the likes of WV/KSU. I do not want to play Texass again, i know we swept them but beating a team 3 times in one yr is difficult (1988).

Having said all of that. WHEN we beat WV and TCU to close out regular season at 23-8 (12-6) and get at least one win in Big12 Tourney (24-8) I believe we settle into a 5/6 seed. Our RPI and SOS are top 30 and we should garner a Top20 ranking at that time as well.

I believe the Big12 will get at least 6 teams into the dance. Conf overall is one of the tougher ones this year so it'll be rewarded.

3. 8timechamps

Welp, KU may have lost their golden opportunity to take Syracuse' #1 seed with their loss to OSU tonight. It's possible that one of those two teams still ends up with the #1 seed, but now you have to look at Duke or Virginia as a possibility. Virginia may be the hottest team in the country right now, but even though they won the ACC, they lost to...you guessed it, Duke.

The last #1 seed will be up for grabs until someone makes a statement.

4. Sooner95

Agree. I was actually thinking that VA will shoot up the rankings after today's action considering several teams ahead of them lost today and they picked up a key win and won their Conf title.

Should be interesting.

5. Sooner95

Conf tie-breakers. Based on the quote below, I am thinking that OU has the upper hand since we own the only head2head sweep vs a team currently tied with. Thoughts?

Ties Involving More than Two Teams.

6. Sooner95

The more research I do, I think our best hope for the #2 seed is (outside of winning out and having ISU/TX/KSU lose a game, is to have 2 others team be tied with us, but one of them must the Texass. We would win the round robin tie breaker.

Otherwise, we split with ISU/KSU so...then it goes to results vs KU, which we got swept. KSU and TX beat them so we'd be out.

7. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I'm thinking the ACC is going to grab the last #1, but I'm not sure who. If Virginia can score a Duke victory in the ACC tournament, it's theirs. That's not an easy task, though.

I think Kansas is out now, because they have too many losses. Louisville's loss all but finished off the American (not a fan of that name). If Wisconsin wins out (and Virginia doesn't), I think they could take a 1 seed. I don't think they will, though.

8. Sooner95

Good point. KU has 7 losses. Cant' recall a #1 seed having that many losses.

9. Blue

Blue SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Big 12 gets 7 in.

10. SoonerorLater

SoonerorLater Well-Known Member

At least on paper we have the best chance of winning out along with Texas which puts us in an excellent position for number 2 seed and a first round bye in the Big 12 tourney. Though neither of the the two remaining games is likely to change our RPI much if we win. My hunch is the the NCAA will award at least a five seed to the second place team in the highest RPI conference.

11. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I don't think Kansas is good.

Ask Texas about conference tie breaker rules, they should know best.

12. 8timechamps

Assuming nothing crazy happens, and the standings remain the same in the ACC, VA and Duke could meet up in the conference tournament championship game (VA will be a 1 seed and Duke a 3). So, I think Syracuse is still in the running. It's almost going to come down to the ACC tournament champion. VA, Duke or Syracuse.

And I agree, KU lost their #1 seed last night in Stillwater.

13. 8timechamps

I think you're correct. If we end up tied with two other teams (one must be Texas), then we'll be the 2 seed. If we end up tied with two (and Texas isn't in there) or three others, then we'll be a 4 seed.

It's going to make this week's conference games interesting. Fortunately, the Sooners have the "easiest" remaining schedule (of the teams battling for the 2 seed). There are some important games otherwise.

14. 8timechamps

We'll see, still some big games this week. OSU MUST win out (which looks probably now...amazingly). I think either Baylor or K-State will be left out, and I think it'll be Baylor, but they play each other so we'll see.

I think the Big XII ends up with 6.

15. 8timechamps

We should win out, but what kinda sucks is that getting the 2 seed is out of our control. We have to be in a three way tie, and Texas has to be there with us (which looks pretty likely, but you never know).

If OU can win out, and win the conference tourney, I think there's a shot at a 3 seed (4 at the worst). If we make it to the championship game and lose, then I agree, we're probably looking at a 5.

16. SoonerorLater

SoonerorLater Well-Known Member

While it is out of our control, if we win out we can finish a second seed in the Big 12 with a KSU loss. Lucky for us they have the toughest two games left of the tied teams (@ OSU & vs. Baylor). With a bye in the first round Big 12 and one distinctly possible win we are a NCAA 5 seed IMO without question. With a first round bye and a loss we still have an outside shot at a 5 seed based on conference RPI though a six slot is more likely.

17. 8timechamps

Good catch. I knew that (about KSU), but didn't even realize it when I was posting. There will be some fun non-OU games to watch this week.

18. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Just saw some numbers today. We're 8-3 against teams ranked 3-50 in the RPI. Very impressive. If Texas were two spots lower, we'd be 7-1 against teams from 25-50. That's about as good of a top 25 team indicator as you're going to find. It hasn't always felt like it, but this team has really been taking care of business.

This team could really wreak havoc on the league next year with the influx of size.

19. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Welcome to 2014 8time :)

I like that we're in the tourney and not having to worry about blowing bubbles, but I'd really, REALLY like it if we build off last year's first round exit. We need to make it to the second round or better this year. No disappointing first round upset this year, please.

8timechamps likes this.
  20. blacktop

blacktop Member

8timechamps likes this.