1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2013 WCWS in OKC

Discussion in 'Sooner Baseball, Softball, etc.' started by Lott's Bandana, May 25, 2013.

1. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

Wrong. Some of our softball fans are acting more and more like our football fans though. Meh.

2. oudanny

oudanny New Member

Great come-from-behind win. That was as exciting as it gets. Props to the Tennessee pitcher. Their coach made a huge mistake in pitching to Chamberlain with first base open. Congrats to our girls for taking advantage.

3. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

jkm the stolen pifwafwi SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Ivy throws harder and keeps the ball in the upper half of the zone (rise ball and mid rise). She throws a lot of strikes and thus gives up a lot more hits even though she has a lower ERA. To me she is much more hittable than Ellen because people are taking hacks at strikes not fishing at stuff that bounces before it gets there.

4. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

I was half expecting them to start a land war in asia :(

5. jkjsooner

jkjsooner New Member

We had a couple of women thrown out at third base. In the 11th we made the last out at third. I don't remember what the earlier one was.

In baseball it's an unwritten rule that you don't make the third out at third base. I assume this is because the main advantage to being at third vs second is that you can score on a sacrifice fly from third but with two outs this is not possible. In addition, the probability of not scoring from second on a single is low so it's not worth gambling to get to third with two outs.

I wonder if this is not an unwritten rule in softball because with the smaller field lots of times a single can score a player on third but not on second?

6. Salt City Sooner

Salt City Sooner New Member

Patty's been doing that all year. You might make a perfect throw & get the runner, but a whole lot more often than not, she's going to MAKE you make that throw. That's what kind of surprised me a bit earlier when she held up Turang at 3rd on that relay, although after looking at it again on the DVR a few times, I do agree with her call there.

7. jkjsooner

jkjsooner New Member

That's a good point. The general rule of thumb definitely applies to MLB and college baseball but like a lot of rules of thumb int he game applies less and less as the teams get less and less talented. In some youth teams you'll force a throw to third because they're unlikely to make a perfect throw and are just as likely to throw the ball away and score that run.

That being said, these girls have skills in the field. They're better than I ever was for sure especially considering just how bang/bang the plays are at 60 feet.

8. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

Yes that girl had a cannon (probably ~65 mph) but the odds were astronomically against her putting a 120 foot throw on a relay within 6 feet of home plate (which was where it was going to have to be to get Turang). Even that throw where she gunned Turang on that slap the ball started sailing high and to the right (and she had no angular momentum from the pivot on the relay) and it was about 1/2 the distance.

9. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

Baseball logic doesn't hold through to softball (coaching it I had to eliminate a lot of things that I took for granted). The problem with this scenario is that the outfielders aren't as deep as you think they are. The outfield fence is 70-80 feet closer than a baseball field and they play shallow. The throw from center on a single up the middle is about the same throw a baseball shortstop would make in the hole.

The reason that it seems so easy to score is how inaccurate girls are throwing a softball. For guys playing baseball, you typically have two fingers on the ball. A lot of these girls have to have 4 on the ball to hold it right and that causes all sorts of weird rotations.

10. SanJoaquinSooner

SanJoaquinSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Fixing my pre-OU National Championship meal. Marinated chicken, sautéed with green peppers, green and white onion, ****ake mushrooms, and tomatoes.

11. VA Sooner

VA Sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Ready for my national championship game.... comfortable in the armchair, beer in hand.

Play ball!

12. VA Sooner

VA Sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Damn, JKM. Is there anything you're not knowledgeable about?

13. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

Kind of a "meh" start. Although, this team always seems to look "meh" the first time through the order.

Also, Could Brianna Turang be any cuter?!

14. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

This team seems like it likes to fall behind and then crush a teams soul, hopefully we don't wait to fall behind tonight

15. 8timechamps

It's almost like they need to create a challenge. Whatever works, just win the championship!

16. Collier11

No doubt, this winter and spring has really been good for OU sports after a disappointing football season. Hoops team made the tourney a year before expected, softball possible national champion and baseball in the Super Regional

17. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

This is one piece of knowledge I'd have rather not learned. Teaching young girls athletics is so frustrating you start wondering how Bobby Knight was so restrained he only threw chairs.

18. 8timechamps

BOOM!

3 Run shot for Kelani!

19. Collier11

BOOMER SOONER BABY!

20. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

That was so on the coaches. WTF throwing that low inside crap to a lefty...