1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2013 WCWS in OKC

Discussion in 'Sooner Baseball, Softball, etc.' started by Lott's Bandana, May 25, 2013.

1. zeke

zeke New Member

Congrats to the Sooner Softball Team !

2. deweydw

deweydw Well-Known Member

That off speed pitch threw me for a loop just watching on tv. Looks like she has her regular wind up. Full head of steam. And then the ball seems to go in slow motion. It was freaky to watch. At first I thought something was wrong with the HD.

3. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

jkm the stolen pifwafwi SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Its called a flip change. When her hand comes down she actually rolls it over and then flips it at the plate with her palm down taking almost all of the speed off of it. Strangely enough, Amanda Freid had the exact same pitch in 2000 for UCLA and it got crushed over the fence for a HR.

4. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Thanks. What I didn't notice when it happened was that the batter was almost standing on the plate. Good and brave call by the ump.

5. Lott's Bandana

Lott's Bandana SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Because of the new parity in the sport, better athletes, two dominant pitchers and killer lineup, the Commentator made this gem of a point last night after the game, proclaiming this year's OU team to be the best ever:

"Lauren Chamberlain leads the NCAA's in RBI's...WHILE BATTING LEADOFF ALL YEAR!!!!"

I've never heard of this, thought about it, then fell off my couch.

8timechamps likes this.
  6. rock on sooner

rock on sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Points to the quality of 7-8-9 hitters...super ball club!

8timechamps likes this.
  7. Lott's Bandana

Lott's Bandana SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Yep!

And the number of solo shots she had out of the 30 total HRs for the year.

8. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

There are a couple of Zona and UCLA teams that were up there, and even Tennessee had a team about a decade ago that was among the best, but I don't think there has been a better team at the college level than this year's Sooners. At least from an offensive standpoint. I've never seen a team be so complete from top to bottom. I'm also not sure there have ever been two better pitchers on the same team than the two OU had this year. Ranking "all time" teams is always subjective, but this Sooner squad has to be right up there.

Regarding Chamberlain, I'm with you. I knew she was leading the NCAA's in RBIs, but I had never put it together with the fact that she was the lead-off hitter. That just magnifies how great the line-up is (especially 7-8-9).

Next year will be interesting. Chamberlain and Vest return, and I think Georgia Casey is actually being groomed to pitch next year...but, there are a lot of pieces to be replaced. The best part of winning it all is that recruiting should be a lot of fun for Gasso & Co. this year!

9. tulsaoilerfan

tulsaoilerfan Ready for Baseball Season

I find it utterly unbelievable that they outscored their opponents by over 400 runs this season; now that's a dominant team!!

10. Sabanball

Sabanball Well-Known Member

Congrats on winning the WCWS. With all that's happened lately in your state, it's nice to see you all be able to smile about something. Boomer Sooner!!

Lott's Bandana likes this.