1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2013-14 OU womens basketball thread

Discussion in 'Sooner Basketball' started by badger, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Soonerjeepman

Soonerjeepman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

takes the sting out of the guy's loss...ugh

2. hawaii 5-0

hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Nice 2nd half.

5-0

3. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

I think my massive headache today is from Sooner womens basketball confusion
    OU 81, oklast 74
    But really, for historic purposes, it makes sense:
    Rather than fight the headache, let's just go straight to stats:
    Star Spencer Sharane: 28 pts, 8 rebounds in 34 minutes, including a perfect 11 of 11 from free throw.
    Tall Nicole double-double: 14 pts, 10 rebounds and 6 blocks in 30 minutes
    Carter the Starter: Gioya played 31 minutes and added 7 pts and 3 steals.
    Halftime deficit: We were down 37-34 at half, plus OSU had been undefeated in the Big 12 on the road so far this season. We got the lead back with 16 mins left.

Sherri, are we still on speaking terms even though I cursed at you last entry? :(

I deserve this headache for being a fickle fan. Here, have some photos:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Next game: 6 p.m. Monday hosting Baylor. TV is ESPN2. Heaven help us it's going to be as difficult as this one.

Boomer...

4. badger

I can be bitter, it's perfectly allowable under rules of fandom.
    [​IMG]
    OU 67, Baylor 81
    Perhaps it was the imminent winter weather, perhaps it was the inevitable loss looming, but attendance at LNC last night as it appeared on TV confirmed what soonerpsycho's masterpiece (that's the GIF above!) tells repeatedly: No one gives a rat's *** about Baylor women's basketball.

When Baylor loses to OSU in football, there's an epic Internet meltdown. When they lose the Fiesta Bowl to the central region of Flo Rida, there's an epic Internet meltdown. When Baylor men's basketball is headed for NIT for worse, there's constant cries to fire Scott Drew and burn the stadium to the ground and throw the tarp at them.

So... does it really matter when we lose to a program that nobody gives a rat's *** about? Absolutely not. PHOTO TIME!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :( Nobody actually believes that sh!t I wrote above, do they? I absolutely wanted this game. I'm sick of losing to BU in football and womens basketball, it has happened far too often lately and I wanted our unranked scrappy squad to pull off the upset at home. They were competitive and succumbed to foul trouble late. I'm proud of their effort and was very sad to see them fall short :(

Sad badger stats:
    Foul trouble: Aaryn, Sharane and Gioya all fouled out. We definitely felt it late when three starters were forced to sit on the bench.
    17 turnovers: This issue is just not going away ever. It's badger's lot in life, she's made to suffer.
    10 missed free throws: 15 for 25, compared with Baylor's 17 of 22.

Sherri?

Next game: 2 p.m. Sunday at Kansas. It's currently set for ESPN3, so NP actually won't make me change the station this game, unlike last night (I changed it back when he wasn't looking)

Boomer

5. Soonerjeepman

Daughter and I headed over to watch. We went when the Pairs twins where playing..got a ton of pics of daughter with the team..Sherri as well...

6. SicEmBaylor

SicEmBaylor Baylor Ambassador

7. badger

I can't think of any sports team that doesn't like seeing its fans at road games. I remember crashing a mostly empty GIA as a student with some older alums (it was basically all of OU's pep band with a few dozen alums on a bus from Norman. We were instructed to decline their beer offers). The Poke pep band was piiiiiiiissed off and basically did nothing but "Ride Ride" during every timeout pointed directly at us (we ended up winning --- it was Coach Goodenough's last season I think)

8. Soonerjeepman

well, daughter and I had a great time. $8 or $12 dollar tickets...can't remember. Sat on the first row behind the bench...had our choice. Ladies played well. Balanced scoring...I will tell ya if you don't like women's ball on TV, go to a game, it's amazing how athletic most of the girls are.

Hook is very good, Vegas is quick and good. They play together very well. OU got off to a slow start, but built the lead to 8/9 most of the game. #42? for ku..good lord she couldn't miss..had 25 at one point. Their big has some nice moves.

Oh, and yes (which I knew this) Sherri is much hawter in person~ lol. I'll try and post a few pics.

* do they stay in a row at the FT line when being introduced at home? They did that at ku. The one thought was solidarity...figured coach has them do that to show no matter who starts we are a team...?

9. badger

I'm glad you all got to witness a Sooner win. Teams always seem to appreciate fans more on the road than at home for whatever reason :)

OU 81, KU 71
    We only led 2 at halftime, but then again, Vegas (Aaryn Ellenberg) only had 2 points at halftime. She ended up with 17, so as she went, so OU went, it seems.

I really have no idea what team will show up in which half or either half or which game or any game, or which players will be on or off, because... this season. I selfishly would love for the women to be having the success and fan interest that the men's team is, but unselfishly, if one program has to be postseason bound and ranked and on national television... yeah.

Game stats:
    6 players with at least 19 minutes: Our starting five has seemingly been expanded to a starting 6, with two more players adding 11 and 12 each. This bodes well for the future and I hope we continue sharing the minutes. There's only 200 to go around, but at least more are seeing the court more often.

Vegas scores: 19 points, as mentioned earlier. Most of these were not threes (only 2 for 5 there) but just baskets in general. I think this is a better way to go forward.

7 for 15 for three: We still attempt them and we still make them, and although I have no concrete info to back this up, I think we are taking less and making more. Is it just this opponent or a trend? Table this stat for future discussion.

14 for 16 for free: Again, making more, taking less, but we have less control over how often we get to shoot these. I've often lamented missed frees in the past, so I can say for sure that this is a stat that has greatly improved since the beginning of the season, which is good, because the refs are whistle happy this year. Gah.

Morgan is too a point guard, haters: She added 15 pts and 9 assists. She clearly doesn't want our season, her senior year, to end early and the effort shows in the box score.

Tall Nicole double-double: 11 boards and 10 points. She was even a perfect 4 for 4 for free. Yay, Nicole!

No photos or Sherri quotes today, sorry. Neither KU nor OU had anything on their sites (but KU had a lot of pink photos due to it being their pink day).

Next game: 6 p.m. Thursday hosting West Virginia. Maybe we can return their weather travel favor (on the mens side this past week) and deliver them a flight delayed loss. TV is Fox Sports 1.

Boomer

10. Soonerjeepman

Nicole, ummm....had several close put backs or post moves that didn't make it. She plays her heart out and had a good game, but man if she had any "dominance" in her we'd be really good.

11. badger

1. Shock and Denial: Our losses are quality losses!
    2. Pain and Guilt: We're no longer ranked and we keep losing and I'm a bad fan for pointing both out
    3. Anger and Bargaining: **** ****ity **** **** ****. If we make the postseason, I'll never question Sherri again!
    4. Depression, Reflection, Loneliness: We suck this year, but I guess we've had down years in the past. Does anyone else still care about this team?
    5. The Upward Turn: Hey! We just beat ISU and OSU and they're both ranked!
    6. Reconstruction and Working Through: Well, we're still losing, but a lot of tournament teams have losses!
    7. Acceptance and Hope: We're not making the postseason, but there's always next year.

WVU 76, OU 75
    Take some Oklahoma bottled water on the way home with you. I hear that you need it more than us, even if we're in various stages of drought!

Sherri, I really don't have much else to say. Do you?

Next game: 12 pm Sunday at OSU. TV is ESPN2

I've accepted that this season's a lost cause, but I can still be a fan even with the lowest of winning expectations.

Boomer Sooner anyways

12. PrideMom

PrideMom New Member

I think it is time for a different approach to women's basketball. Obviously OU is not recruiting the TOUGHEST athlete. I am tired of watching a slug-fest at every game. The refs are getting worse, and it is time that OU gets new assistants that can get the type of athlete that plays that way. One of the reasons we got season tickets to the women's games was that in the beginning you actually saw basketball as it was meant to be played, with set plays, etc. Now you see pushing, slapping, tripping, and anything goes attitude on the court.

13. oudanny

oudanny New Member

I'm afraid that until we improve our talent level and get more athletic players it isn't going to matter much how we play. I'm not advocating playing an "anything goes" style of basketball but effort and heart will only take you so far. From what I've seen, next year doesn't look any better.

14. badger

btw, I'm well aware of Sunday, I'm just giving Sooner womens basketball the silent treatment till next game I think :(

15. tycat947

tycat947 New Member

Thank you!!! :excitement:

16. Ruf/Nek7

Ruf/Nek7 New Member

Why no Ellenburg tonight against the whorns?

17. Salt City Sooner

Salt City Sooner New Member

Concussion; she got decked on a killer screen last game. Heck of an effort by The Guys to pull one out tonight, esp/ w/o Vegas & KK getting hurt. Morgan was 1 board & 2 assists shy of a triple double.

18. badger

Oh me of little faith.
    Texas 63, OU 64
    Ya see what I did there? Last night was our pinkie game... let's go straight to photos:
    [​IMG]
    Nicole Kornet (aka "other nicole")
    [​IMG]
    Morgan Hook:
    [​IMG]
    Kaylon Williams (aka "Kay Kay"):
    [​IMG]
    They really go through a lot of paper in their locker room, don't they? This is ex-Sooner Jozsef Szendrei with Kay Kay:
    [​IMG]
    Sherri giving Gioya Carter a hug:
    [​IMG]
    More of Sherri's pink outfit:
    [​IMG]
    Don't give each other concussions, girls! (Other Nicole and Morgan):
    [[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Seriously, I am so very sorry that I was pouting this weekend and after. I never want to give this team the silent treatment or the 7 stages of denial or a loss lamenting GIF or whatever the hell else I've done this season. Everything is up from here. Aaryn will be back from concussion, our team will hang tons more paper in their locker room, everything from now on is back to normal, yes?

Sooner stats:
    1-point-lead: We led by one at halftime, 27-26. That one point was the end score difference and we've gone both directions this year, either blowing a halftime lead or coming back from a halftime deficit, so really, there's nothing to see here. Moving along...

Morgan Morgan Morgan!: Y'know how futbol fans like to shout MESSIMESSIMESSI a lot? Well, Morgan deserves something like that for 15 points and 8 assists, 9 rebounds and only 3 turnovers in 38 minutes. She's having a lot of senior moments this year, and thank goodness this one resulted in the win over the whorns.

Horrendous shooting: Not to put a damper on things, but we shot 4 of 13 from three and 16 of 25 from free. Fortunately, texas sucks

10 to 10: 10 assists, 10 turnovers. Then again, when everyone on both sides misses shots, why bother worrying about turnovers? :D

Sherri?

I recommend the SS.com recap here. Or, just read this part:

Tee hee, Texas. You lose!

Next game: 7 p.m. Saturday hosting Kansas. TV is FSN (Sooner Sports TV).

Boomer!

19. hawaii 5-0

hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sweet win over the whorns.

Sometimes it feels there's nothing 'gelling' this team together. Lots of running around with no productivity.

Other times they pull it together and walk away with a big smile and high-fives for everyone.

Way to go Lady Sooners !

5-0

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  20. oudanny

oudanny New Member

An ugly win is better than a pretty loss but man, that was really ugly. Hook was a warrior. Congrats!