1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2012 CWS Playoffs

Discussion in 'Sooner Baseball, Softball, etc.' started by Sooner95, May 28, 2012.

1. marfacowboy

marfacowboy New Member

Hell, it's going to be hard to pull against SC. They've paid for 100% my daughter's grad school work. I wish we were playing someone else. If we lose, four of the eight spots could go to SEC schools, two from each division. Say what you want, but that's impressive.

2. Lott's Bandana

Lott's Bandana SoonerFans.com Elite Member

How about #4 seed Stony Brook winning their regional and now taking on LSU? Pretty cool.

What the hell is a Stony Brook?

3. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

A brook. With stones in it. Dumas.

4. Sooner11JK

Sooner11JK New Member

OU USC
    BA .265 .271
    Opp BA .257 .224
    ERA 3.27 3.14
    Opp ERA 4.65 4.50
    HR 36 41
    HR Allowed 24 36
    SO 502 499
    Opp SO 418 408
    Fielding % .968 .980
    Sched Strength 50 40

With the exception of the glaring difference in fielding percentage, these numbers are strikingly similar. Bear in mind that L. Dale is a pitchers' ballpark and Carolina Stadium is a hitters' ballpark. Take out of these numbers what you will.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  5. IndySooner

IndySooner New Member

I've been telling people they don't hit the ball like they have in the past. They have really good pitching, though. This SHOULD be a very low scoring series. IF (in huge capital letters) we can play defense this weekend, we'll have a really good shot to be in this for three days. If we don't, we'll be 2 and BBQ and watching USC defend another title in Omaha.

6. marfacowboy

marfacowboy New Member

Doesn't mean a lot to me. They played a significantly more difficult schedule than we did. If we get good pitching, and we have every reason to think we should, we have an excellent chance in this series. Throw out all the stats to date, except for perhaps what we've done in the post season. And even then, you might throw the hitting stats out. I think our bats are coming alive.

7. IndySooner

IndySooner New Member

Their schedule wasn't THAT much better than ours. Sure, they played in the SEC which is a beast, but our non-conference schedule turned out to be just as good as anyone's.

8. Sooner11JK

Sooner11JK New Member

. Look at the bottom stat. SC's schedule ranked #40, OU's #50. Not a lot of difference when you're talking about more than 300 teams.

9. marfacowboy

marfacowboy New Member

I don't agree with that ranking. They play series against Florida, Kentucky, Vandy, Miss. State, Arky and LSU. Regular season series against three teams in the Super Regionals. We swept Baylor and played TCU once, I think. Arky once, which we won. It's not close.

10. Sooner11JK

Sooner11JK New Member

We also beat Oregon in Eugene. 7-2 against teams in Super Regionals. Not too shabby.

11. marfacowboy

marfacowboy New Member

I think we have a great shot at getting through this series. I just think the schedule difference is more significant than what's been stated. Heck, doesn't really matter now, does it? It will be a good series, and if OU wins, they won't be accused of having an easy path.

8timechamps likes this.
  12. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

When does the series begin?

13. Sooner95

Sooner95 Well-Known Member

check the schedule thread. Starts Saturday.

8timechamps likes this.
  14. 8timechamps

Thanks 95, didn't even notice the sticky!

15. ouflak

ouflak Oh wow! Oh wow! Oh wow!

16. 8timechamps

How 'bout Stony Brook? Beating LSU 6-1 ▲7th

17. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

Stoney Brook to the big show. Heh. Suck it LSU.

18. Lott's Bandana

Lott's Bandana SoonerFans.com Elite Member

T'was a magnificent beatdown.

Rooting now for the SeaWolves to continue to do well.

19. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Arkanpig and So carolina both undefeated and playing each other tonight.. On the other side, Ariz. Wildcats undefeated. I suppose I want them to win, instead of the Pigs or the roosters, both of the despised SEC, SEC, SEC, Blech!

Kent State, Fl State crims, and UCLA are all still alive in the one-loss bracket as well.

First choice Kent St, then Ariz as*holes, then maybe UCLA would be my top 3 faves.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  20. marfacowboy

marfacowboy New Member

My daughter was a track athlete at Arky and is now in grad school at South Carolina. We hoped for a good game and got one. I figured the Hogs were set up pretty well. Their pitching depth makes them really tough in a tournament like this.

Midtowner likes this.