1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1976 Orange Bowl ( The Whole Game...!! )

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Blues1, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Crucifax Autumn

Crucifax Autumn SoonerFans.com Elite Member

2. King Crimson

King Crimson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

i've seen that game a few times in the last couple years. we win, but PSU's D was for real.

Crucifax Autumn likes this.
  3. King Crimson

Les Miles comes into the game in the last minute.

4. Salt City Sooner

Salt City Sooner New Member

Fo 'sho. A healthy Holieway had all of 1 yard rushing. Not too many teams can say they held him to that. PSU just wasn't going to let OU get outside, regardless of what Carr was doing to them.

5. King Crimson

i tell ya, some bad dudes/real players who take the coin toss for OU in the 86 Orange Bowl.

Eric Pope, Kevin Murphy, and Tony Casillias.

6. 1890MilesToNorman

1890MilesToNorman New Member

You guys catch when Billy Sims came into the huddle and then back to the sideline late in the game?? Didn't play the down but the announcers called his name out.

thanks fer the link, I really enjoyed watching that again!!!

7. King Crimson

i saw that.

8. soonerinkeywest

soonerinkeywest New Member

Both of these games were great examples of "Defense wins Championships" along with 2000 I own all 3 of them and rely on them to get me through the off season.Hurry the Hell up September!!!

9. Crucifax Autumn

It's never here soon enough for me.

OU_Sooners75 likes this.
  10. Crucifax Autumn

What possible reason could they have for not cutting out the halftime show in the 86 game like they did the 76???? Who gives a rat's *** about Disney and that whole under the sea crap???? Glad it let me skip ahead!

OU_Sooners75 likes this.
  11. MichiganSooner

MichiganSooner Well-Known Member

Really enjoy this so far. Just finished watching the pregame show up to the kickoff. Few observations that young people would be surprised by. To quote the announcer, "this is the first time the Sooners have been on TV in 2 years". At the time there was one game of the week. There was extensive coverage of the pregame festivities instead of having to listen to the east coast bias of the network talking heads. On a personal note, I saw Rick Leach, Michigan QB play football and basketball for Flint Southwestern when he was in high school. And an hour before kickoff, I bought my first color TV just so I could watch the game in Living Color!!

12. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

There were less televised games back then, but that's not the reason for OU's absence. They were coming off probation that banned them from TV and bowl games for 2 years. The '74 squad was actually better than the '75 team and finished 11-0, but bowl-less. They split the MNC polls because the UPI (coaches) poll was not allowed to vote for a team on probation. They were AP champs.

13. MichiganSooner

MichiganSooner Well-Known Member

That's right. I wasn't a Sooner fan back then but I knew the Sooners from across the country,

14. Sooner04

Sooner04 New Member

When Rick Leach awakens in the night with a cold sweat you can bet he's been dreaming of the Selmon Brothers. We beat the dog crap outta that guy.

15. Crucifax Autumn

Yep. That boy took some good ones in that game!

OU_Sooners75 likes this.
  16. goingoneight

goingoneight I said Biiiiiiiitch--

Two things stand out to me:

How much better blockers are... how much worse the passers looked. Thankfully we did it all on the ground. :D

That announcer is a bout as bad as Bob Barry, Sr.

17. tulsaoilerfan

tulsaoilerfan Ready for Baseball Season

Damn, u must be watching a different game than the rest of us watched. :D

18. mikeelikee

mikeelikee New Member

Yep. Ol' Lester entered the game for Meat-Chicken on the o-line, then promptly watches as Dewey Selmon blows right past him. Hilarious!!

19. BigHouseDon

BigHouseDon Member

The Selmon brothers were just awesome. I had just turned 15 when I watched that game live. OU's D was awesome. We really weren't in that game. Our D got pushed around alot and our O just didn't have any answers. Bo considered the pitch on the option to be a pass. That wasn't working either. You guys had some great teams in the mid 70's.

BHD

20. Crucifax Autumn

I already admitted I was a tard! I was pretty drunk at that point...my only excuse!

OU_Sooners75 likes this.