1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time to let this board go...

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by echo101, Dec 18, 2017.

1. echo101

echo101 Member

What's the point of wasting internet space when no one seems to care? I had hopes this place would be worthwhile but it isn't. Any news posted here is weeks old at best. Time to just let it fade away quietly. So sad..

2. CFB_Lummys

CFB_Lummys New Member

Agreed. Dead...

3. echo101

echo101 Member

you'll find me at Land Thieves..

4. severs64

severs64 New Member

Even dead, it's still better than LandThieves

5. Tear Down This Wall

Tear Down This Wall Well-Known Member

Sad. This was the liveliest board back in the day. We met each other at games and in different cities for lunch. It was pretty neat.

Two main problems arose that killed this board:

(1) Overzealous "monitors" that banned people too often, and
    (2) Overzealous "monitors" that banned people too often.

It got the point of the monitors becoming internet police and banning people for the simple offense of disagreeing with them.

Take heart, the same thing happened to Hornfans.com as well, but not to the degree that it eventually did here. Hornfans still hangs on because there isn't an alternative. For Sooner fans, there was an alternative in Landthieves.

In the big picture, it's just an internet message board. When the monitors - or whatever they were called - got out of control with the banning, people just got fed up with it and left.

6. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

TDTW killed this board.

7. Monster Zero

Monster Zero Member

Okay. There's gotta be some reason.

8. Tear Down This Wall

If only. I was never knighted "moderator." I figure the moderators simply banned everyone, then left.

TheUnnamedSooner likes this.
  9. echo101

echo101 Member

the only thing that can bring this board back to life is for us to CONTINUALLY add to it. without us it's for sure dead. there are more options out there other than land thieves but it's probably the liveliest of the bunch. with everyone's help we can have something special here... invite others to join us..etc..

10. manateepower

manateepower Member

I used to post on this board many years ago, and unfortunately TDTW is right. SF was once popular and thriving, but then you had moderates such , who would go as far to permaban members who gave legitimate criticism to Stoops and the coaching staff (all of which turned out to be correct, by the way), effectively killing any interesting discussion outside of "Let's get it started" and "Fuck Texas"

It wasn't just the mods either, I can think of a few frequent posters off the top of my head who were complete dicks to new posters or anyone else who wasn't in their clique: constantly harassing them, negging every one of their comments, and generally making their lives a living hell until they left for good.

Add to all of this, the pointless, constant overhaul of the site to progressively worse layouts (I mean, look at this fucking page, I feel like I am using a Netscape browser), and you will realize that SF got it exactly what it deserved.

This site would be a great case study as to why you don't let incompetent, bullies run everything.

birddog and echo101 like this.
  11. Sooner in Tampa

Sooner in Tampa SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I can't believe how bad this place has gotten...it used to ge so much fun. There are so many posters that used to reside here and made this place a blast..and some that didn't but it was still fun to banter with them.

12. severs64

severs64 New Member

I'd say it all started when a Cornhusker was made moderator. That didn't sit well with a lot of Sooners. Then some of the funnier posters just grew up or lost interest. Guys like Beano's Fourth Chin, Czar Soonerov, Norm in Norman, etc. Those farking guys.... Then mods like CCDean runt off all the liberals, including some pretty good posters. I think there was a certain arrogance with the management of the board; a sense that they could do whatever they wanted, cuz "We're Soonerfans.com". Then the tailgate was shut down, and that's when it really started turning into a ghost town on the forum. And Olevet and his posse were there to run off any new guys, for reasons known only to them, but probably because they were bored.

And now, looking at manateepower's post, I guess there's no moderation at all, not even a language filter. So, we got what we always wanted :) Just need to start a T&A thread, and we'll be back on top in no time!

Really, though, most every board started with a handful of posters, and it only takes a few to have a conversation. Having seen what the other boards are like, I'll just stay here. Even if I'm the only one.

birddog likes this.
  13. manateepower

manateepower Member

What can I say? it wasn't my best post. Fuck off.

14. Sooner in Tampa

Sooner in Tampa SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Ehh..the is some truth to servers post...posters just grew up and lost interest for sure, but there are other reasons as well.

When there was an influx of "Sooner Fans" from another board, shit started getting unbearable. There was way too much "us vs. them" crap going on during those days. It ran a lot of long time posters off. And, lets not forget the TopDawg faction that went away for various reasons. Too much infighting.

There are a TON of old posters that I miss...OUinFla, HarryBeanbag, Sic'em (R.I.P), and crawfish...I could go on, but it is what it is.

As far Dean "runt all of the liberals" I call BS. It's not how it went down, but again, it is what it is.

The constant board changes certainly haven't helped either...

15. severs64

severs64 New Member

Well, SOMEbody runt em off... that's just my overall fuzzy memory of events, which may or may not resemble the actual events. I just think of CCDean when i think of running people off. Read this thread, not sure if it refers to liberals, though: http://www.soonerfans.com/forum/index.php?threads/unbanned.178825/.

I think the influx of "Sooner Fans" was when OUInsider pissed off a bunch of its' posters, and several came here. Once they found they couldn't have a t&a thread, they left pretty quick. In fact, i think that's how Landthieves got started. Again, that's my own cliff notes version.

Looking at some the history, there was quite a dropoff after Sicem passed away.

Also, there was a board change, like you said, where the new board had a different URL, and people kept hitting the old board, which was confusing

Manatee, I wasn't complaining about your post, just using it as evidence that there was no language filter in effect

16. echo101

echo101 Member

Times are changing and lots of football to talk about. Mods don't need to be so thin skinned. Let us talk and keep this board alive even if you don't like a thing or two of what we say. .... Saw some future OU defensive stars today in one of the sports sections and looks like we're bringing in some bad azs players. I'm really looking forward to seeing these guys take the field.. Mike or no Mike.

17. Tear Down This Wall

Yeah on C&C Dean...except, I can hardly be called a liberal! ;) He ran poster off, left and right...middle. Olevet as well...to the point where I wondered if Olevet was just a bit being played by a poster to simply act like the biggest Oklahoma redneck for show.

There were others. It got stupid and personal, so most migrated to landthieves...which is actually full of people even more arrogant and trigger happy with bans than C&C Dean was.

Agree with the above point about most criticisms of Stoops and some coaches did end up being true. Along those lines, I criticized Jerry Schmidt for years regarding his old school methodology and the number of injuries that couldn't just be coincidence. Now, he's gone because...it's rumored that the type of criticism I leveled years ago was true.

(That being said, I'm not crazy about the new hire: a guy who wasn't even working as an S&C, and whose last college job was with Mack Brown's flame out at Texas. We're now celebrating part of the staff that helped bury Mack being brought on board? Hard to believe.)

Anyway, when you are talking football - or politics or whatever - there has to be room for disagreement without banning. That wasn't the case here in the end.

The way the moderators circled the wagons was ridiculous and ultimately killed it off.

(The tech changes didn't help either, that part is right as well...hence, I again had to get a code out of e-mail to login. But, again...wasn't that just part of the paranoia of the folks moderating the board, the whole re-register and use codes every 30 days bit? On a college football discussion board?)

Finally, if there is no language filter any longer, then, yes...fuck all ya'll old school soonerfans.com motherfuckers!

SouthFortySooner likes this.
  18. Speck

Speck Member

From what I remember this board was hacked pretty hard and it was down for an extended period of time, like a few weeks. It was never the same after that and had a hard time getting traction again.

19. echo101

echo101 Member

Speaking of the new hires I'm wondering about this Beamer guy. When I saw his interview I thought he was a good hire but now I'm hearing the GA fans are saying he was their weak link and glad he's gone. That worries me. I had hopes Linc would hire an up and comer much like himself.

20. severs64

severs64 New Member

Looks like he has experience with special teams, and we really need some help there. I'm tired of it looking like we don't even try to return punts anymore. Fair catches in enemy traffic EVERY SINGLE TIME, bleah

echo101 likes this.