1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any chance MStoops will leave on his own?

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by echo101, Jan 4, 2018.

1. echo101

echo101 Member

Guess I'll take some initiative and do some posting. Hopefully some of you will join me.. So what about Mike? What are we going to do with him? That defensive display we just witnessed was absolutely horrid. Seems no one is happy with him. I say it's way past time to cut the cord.

2. severs64

severs64 New Member

Have to agree. He's not solely to blame, but enough of it falls on his shoulders to make the call. Bob made the smart call to bring in fresh new blood on offense, now Lincoln needs to do the same for the defense. The only real negative is potentially losing some recruits. Of course we could gain others depending on the hire. Also, I love that Bob still has a presence with the program, and think that might diminish if Mike is pushed out. But something's gotta change in a major way.

3. Speck

Speck Member

I just don't understand how he could even want to be here. I am no hater but a lot of people have really negative feelings toward him and I sure would not want to work in those conditions. I think it is time for a scenery change for both him and OU.

4. Sooner70

Sooner70 Active Member

OU has some good individual players, but for some reason, the Ohio State type effort just didn't materialize in the Rose Bowl. Those up the middle gashes & missed tackles spelled defensive doom. Seems like MLB was out of position a lot.

The squib kick was a dumb call, and lead to a FG that made the difference in the final score,but anytime you score 48 points, you should be able to win a game.

5. Sooner in S.C.

Sooner in S.C. New Member

It seems to me he has one defensive masterpiece a season. A few years ago it was florida st, then Alabama in the Sugar Bowl, Auburn last season, this year it was Ohio St. His defense used to be brutal hit you in the mouth types, i don't see the attitude or the killer instinct the defensive units had when he first got here. I also feel like his recruiting isn't where it was. All that being said who knows who we could get if he leaves? Promote Ruffin McNeil would definitely not be the answer, Kish would probably go to, and to agree with a previous poster Murray was out of his gap A LOT, to me that's coaching.

6. oleNorm

oleNorm New Member

7. oleNorm

oleNorm New Member

It seems to me that we sorely need some good defensive backs with 6 foot 3, 4 or 5 inch height. OSU is recruiting receivers of that size and I will be surprised if our 5 foot 10 or 11 inch guys will be able to properly defend those big receivers that are on the way.

8. pappy

pappy Well-Known Member

What team has 6'3", 6'4", 6'5" defensive backs? Nobody, not even the NFL.

9. pappy

pappy Well-Known Member

It's time for Mike Stoops to hit the road. I don't care if he is fired or he resigns as long as he leaves. His defenses are passive, weak, soft. He had a month to get ready for Georgia and played them like he was facing Texas Tech. It's not about the players OU is recruiting. The talent is there, the coaching is lacking. OU finished defensively behind TCU, K-State, Iowa St and Texas in the big 12. Those teams all faced the #1 ranked offense in the country (OU) and TCU faced the #1 ranked offense twice and still finished ahead of OU. The only one team in that group that you can try to make the argument has more talented players on defense is Texas. Mike came back in 2012 and there have been 6 recruiting classes and OU has finished 2nd to Texas 3 times and had the #1 recruiting class in the big 12 3 times. It's not the players, it's the coaching. Mike hasn't adjusted to the modern offenses.

Basically at this point if you believe Mike Stoops will suddenly figure it out and OU start playing decent defense again then I have to think that you also believe in the following...

Andre Roberson being a good shooter
    Lavar Ball being able to beat Michael Jordan 1 on 1 in his prime
    Unicorns
    Blade Trinity is the greatest movie of all time
    Carrot Top is the greatest comedian of all time

echo101 likes this.
  10. spaceman

spaceman Member

11. echo101

echo101 Member

I was one of those that felt like Bob had been here too long and needed to move on. In the beginning I really liked Bob and what he was doing for us but the longer he was here the more he was resembling Mack Brown. I don't question both men were good coaches when they were having their best years but the times were changing and both were left behind. Everything needs an occasional face lift..even a football program. I'd like the see the Stoops days over but now with Drake committing to play here it looks like the Stoops era will be extended even that much longer. ... This is all just my opinion on these things and not intended for argument.