1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mixon is gone...

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by SoCalBigRed, Jan 5, 2017.

1. SoCalBigRed

SoCalBigRed Well-Known Member

Sigh...

He should have stayed. Could put some more distance between himself, and the incident. Could grow up, some more, and be the feature back, on a National Title contender.

Bad move, imo.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2017/01/05/joe-mixon-oklahoma-sooners-nfl-draft

In his statement, Mixon expressed gratitude to Oklahoma’s coaching staff for the “second chance” they gave him. He also wrote that he will “use my own experience as a platform to teach other young men never — and I repeat never — to make the mistakes that I made.”

2. SoonerStormchaser

SoonerStormchaser Emma's Daddy!

Both he and Perine will be busts...

3. Monster Zero

Monster Zero Member

I think it's the right thing for him. He's putting distance between himself and "the incident", right now. He was given a second chance and at least by public accounts he's only misbehaved once... I hope he moves on and turns that experience into something positive for himself and for others, and I hope he and Samaje both have long, profitable careers in the bigs. Westbrook too, btw.

Time for some new guys to step up at OU now, which is the nature of the game, isn't it? Who's on the recruiting board at RB and WR?

4. Jacie

Jacie SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I think his presence would have been a continued talking point for Sooner detractors, just see the fallout for Musberger who defended him. The distance for Mixon will come by leaving Oklahoma, not being here to remind everyone. It is too bad for all the reasons already listed but for him it is the best decision.

5. oudivesherpa

oudivesherpa Well-Known Member

I wish him well. He is a first round talent that will be lucky to be drafted by the third round, one more year would have made the Molitor situation old news and he would have been a first rounder in 2018. But most agents will encourage kids to leave early and the kids want the good life now. OU should have a Business Professor talk with the athletes on the concept of time value of money and run some scenarios for them on the value of going in a higher round. Mixon lost at least $2 million by going in a later round than if he would have waited. Perrine,however, made the right decision, his draft stock was at its maximum and it was best that he get the money now. Too bad agents don't talk over the economic implications of a students decision.

SoCalBigRed likes this.
  6. KingDavid

KingDavid Well-Known Member

If Mixon falls beneath the 40th pick, I will be surprised. If he makes it into the third round, I will eat my shoe.

He is Leveon Bell version 2.0. Minus the 6th gear.

The most desperate GMs will not be able to pass him up with a 2nd round pick.

If he'd have stayed, as a feature back behind this o-line (plus Flowers/Meier) and with Mayfield . . . Mixon would invariably have forced his way into the top 10.

He will be a bargain in late round 1. He will be a steal in round 2. Grand theft anything after that.

7. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I have to agree with KingDavid. Some GMs won't even look at him which will hurt competitive bidding, but there are plenty of teams in desperate need of his kind of talent. Whatever backlash results is more than fixed by results on the field. Look no farther an OU fans support for Mixon. And I'm sure Tyreek Hill is selling jerseys in KC. But I have to disagree with KingDavid on one point - Mixon does have a 6th gear.

8. UberSooner

UberSooner Active Member

Early 2nd round, gag order on financial settlement with Molitor. End of Story. It's the right move at this point for everybody in my opinion.

9. SoCalBigRed

He would have gone 1st round, probably 1st RB chosen, in next year's draft.

What I wouldn't give to have a healthy, motivated DeMarco back... And we're watching another one, walk out the door.

10. KingDavid

KingDavid Well-Known Member

The sixth gear was only in comparison to Bell, fyi. Mixon can fly. But I don't think he is as fast as Bell. At this point.

11. SoCalBigRed

Mixon is a shiftier runner than Bell, who plows into guys more often, than Joe. Both like to lower the shoulder, and inflict pain on contact... but, Bell invites it more.

Joe's got livelier legs, and his shift into that extra gear, is much more sudden than Bell's.

12. BoulderSooner79

I don't watch much NFL, but I've seen Mixon put distance on plenty of DBs at this level and they are usually pretty fast. The combine will be interesting.

13. Peeb

Peeb Active Member

Not...sure...if...kidding.

Without wading into the off-field drama for Mixon, these two guys are big-time athletic talents who should be expected to make a fine living on Sundays.

Annointing the guy who just broke the Billy Sims record as the next-big-NFL-bust seems horribly negative. I've always loved Samage and will miss him.

14. Monster Zero

Monster Zero Member

Thank you.

15. Okiemofo

Okiemofo New Member

I think Mixon made the right decision for at least a couple of reasons, maybe more. For one thing, no reason to chance getting hurt. If he's good enough to play in the NFL then go on now and be making the money. Another reason.. and probably the biggest reason he left is because he may have been academically ineligible to play next season. If that's true then for sure he made the right decision to leave now. Good to know there were no bad feelings between him and the coaching staff.

16. BoulderSooner79

Academic ineligibility is often a chicken and egg situation. The player becomes ineligible because he already made the decision to declare long ago and has managed his classwork accordingly. (short timer).

17. Okiemofo

Okiemofo New Member

Yeah.. I didn't think of that but definitely a possibility.

18. King Crimson

King Crimson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

if it's academic issues then let him go.....not like the university and program didn't go to bat for him. take a huge PR hit. i like the kid but he's not making grades.....whatever.

i was always curious about his weight vis a vis he's breakaway speed. i think 10 lbs less he was a streak. but, we built the O on Perine and such being bangers a bit.

19. Jacie

Chosen #48 overall by the Bengals. They got a first-round talent for their second-round money. Go Joe go!

20. Jacie

Mixon "looks like a beast" in practices

June 18, 2017

Cincinnati Bengals rookie running back Joe Mixon has reportedly come as advertised, looking like a potential Pro Bowl running back during OTAs and minicamp practices.

1. Bengals running back Joe Mixon hasn’t wasted any time impressing his coaches. His high-end acceleration and size/speed ratio have stood out, as has his work to improve in pass protection, which is often what keeps rookie backs off the field. Asked how he looks, one Cincinnati staffer answered: “Like a beast.”

Aside from the overall skill set Mixon possesses, the Bengals had an under-the-surface need at the running back position this year. After an outstanding rookie campaign in 2014, Jeremy Hill has had various struggles, while Giovani Bernard is rehabbing a torn ACL, which he suffered in Week 11 last season. Rex Burkhead also left for New England in free agency, leaving a great opportunity for Mixon to be added to the group.

As Mixon continues to wow his coaches, expect more of the focus surrounding the rookie to shift to what he is doing on the football field. Many of the Bengals’ starting spots still seem to be sewn up, but the running back spot provides a bunch of questions this year. If Bernard ends up missing time (while still recovering from his injury) to start 2017, it would not only pave the way for an additional youngster to make the team, but it very well could propel Mixon into the starting role.

But, even if the versatile Bernard is back as the season starts, Mixon might continue to show enough during training camp and the preseason to get the lion’s share of the carries in 2017. The early rumblings seem to warrant a big role from the rookie back.