1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bosworth wants the Sooners to move on from Stoops

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by bmjlr, Oct 7, 2016.

1. bmjlr

bmjlr Active Member

The Red River Rivalry is this weekend (11 a.m. ET, FS1), and there’s no doubt it's a massive game for both Texas and Oklahoma.

Texas coach Charlie Strong has been the subject of hot seat talk all week, and things aren’t any calmer at Oklahoma, where even despite a win over TCU last week, there is still concern about the overall state of the program. The Sooners are just 2-2 this season, with embarrassing losses to Ohio State and Houston.

The losses are so embarrassing, in fact, that Oklahoma legend Brian Bosworth appeared on FS1’s “Speak for Yourself” and was asked point blank if Bob Stoops should be gone if the Sooners falter down the stretch:

“That’s kind of a conversation that’s quietly been had over the last five, seven years. I’ve had that from a lot of the alumni. You look at the great traditional programs; the tenure of a coach that has had the great success that Bob has had has been remarkable. Especially as long as he’s been there.

"But it’s not only what you do during the season that matters. It’s how you finish the season in bowl games. And what we’re doing over the course of these seven to eight years is we’re getting embarrassed in the bowl games. It weighs heavily on the alumni, and it weighs heavily on the tradition, and it weighs heavily on us as players, because it’s just unacceptable going out there; I understand getting beat, but I don’t understand getting embarrassed. That just means the players are packing up the bags at the first sign of the avalanche starting to happen.”

He continued, explaining it wasn’t just Stoops but his entire staff:

“That comes from the coaching staff; not just Bob. That comes from all the coaching staff, energizing the players and letting them understand that the journey you’re on is going to define you who you are. So this small window of opportunity that you’re going to be here for four years, make that the strongest window you can, and don’t look at it like ‘this is a bridge that can get to the next level’ because the next level isn’t guaranteed for anybody.

"But I’d really like to see to see Oklahoma find and start to cultivate that next coach. Talking about that offensive coordinator that came in last year [Lincoln] Riley did a good job, but that’s only one year. We need to get the discipline back, the recruiting back, the strength of the recruiting back, the top notch guys to come in and take us to the next level.”

Those are obviously some damning comments from Bosworth, and just so there was no confusion, host Jason Whitlock followed up. Was Bozworth really saying Stoops should be gone?

“Well, I appreciate everything that Bob’s done, he’s had a great run. He’s put up more wins than any other coach there. But the game passes much faster sometimes than the coach that’s currently coaching can keep up with, if he’s not making the strategic changes on his staff to bring in the types of players that are going to keep him at that top level of winning the conference championship.

"But more importantly how are you going to compete once you get into the bowl games and you’re playing the teams that are competing consistently for the national championships? The Alabama’s, the Ohio State’s. Those guys are doing something each and every year to rebuild the programs. They’re losing great players and yet they’re still coming out the following year to build the momentum throughout the season.”

My oh my, there is a lot to peel back here.

Bosworth’s comments seem to fall in line with a lot of the emotions Oklahoma fans have expressed in recent years. After winning a national championship in his second year, Stoops has been known more for his catastrophic losses than big wins. The Sooners made it to the national title game in 2003, 2004 and 2008 only to lose to LSU, USC and Florida, respectively, and lost to Clemson last year in the College Football Playoff.

While there have been big postseason wins since -- most notably, the Sugar Bowl against Alabama a few years back -- most seasons have been highlighted by overinflated rankings and disappointing finishes. This year specifically has been tough.

It’s also led many to wonder whether Stoops is the right guy to keep leading OU. Obviously it would take something catastrophic to fire him, but would Stoops look to escape to another job (maybe LSU?) with the fan base clearly divided and unhappy?

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...the-sooners-to-move-on-from-bob-stoops-100616

2. Indy Sooner

Indy Sooner Member

He's certainly not alone.

3. nighttrain12

nighttrain12 Well-Known Member

Saying this right before OU/Texas is bad timing by the Boz.

4. Flying Scotsman

Flying Scotsman "Love me two times, baby. Love me twice today..."

Is this Bosworth's indirect and idiotic way to fire up this team for Saturday?

5. Sabanball

Sabanball Well-Known Member

i thought the Boz had wised up over the years. I guess he hasn't.

6. King Crimson

King Crimson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

not really. i mean, he showed some contrition about a decade ago....and we forgave him. now, he's back to being spokesperson for something that doesn't exist, really.

funny Boz is talking about the game passing a coach by.....i mean anyone who saw Miami torch late 80's Sooner teams with the forward pass might have suggested the same. anyway, i was in Norman last week and Switzer is quoted as saying Brian has "burned his bridges". i think Boz is on an island, if Barry is distancing himself.

i get what BB is saying but Oklahoma is one year away from the football playoff. i'd need a couple 6 win seasons back to back to start thinking about ending Bob's tenure.

7. King Crimson

King Crimson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

it's my experience of 48 years now that former players are about the most unreliable yet astonishingly vocal people to involve in coaches evaluation. i've lived in Boulder, Colorado most of my adult life and watched the former players and Bill McCartney era boosters hire Jon Embree. colossal stupidity.

8. Jacie

Jacie SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I just don't want OUr current coach to become the Sooner version of Paul Pasqualoni, the former Syracuse coach who was there forever, who always had winning seasons but whose best year(s) was behind him.

The Orange made the right decision, addition through subtraction and three coaches removed from PP may finally have the right guy. But replacing a legend is not so easy, as the whorns learned after releasing Mack Brown or in OUr case, The King.

So far, Stoops has managed to keep Oklahoma relevant (Sooners have done more in the last few seasons than traditional rivals i.e. nebbish, are on par with the accomplishments of FSU and Notre Dame, while upstart Oregon has begun to decline to their previous level of mediocrity and seen even USC & sa*et tumble from being Top 5 or 10 year in and year out) in an era dominated by Bama and tOSU.

If he keeps OU in the hunt for conference championships and now, a spot in the playoff, then I'd say the game has yet to pass by Bob Stoops.

9. SoCalBigRed

SoCalBigRed Well-Known Member

Oh wow... I can respond to posts now. Shocking.

10. BermudaSooner

BermudaSooner Well-Known Member

Boz was absent from the pre-game video this weekend against KSU. He was on the video for ULM and tOSU. Coincidence?