1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AP releases top 100 college football teams of all-time

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by bmjlr, Aug 2, 2016.

1. bmjlr

bmjlr Active Member

The Associated Press wanted to find a way to rank every college football program against each other. Luckily, it has a long-running metric that can help with those calculations right in its back pocket.

The ranked list of 100 programs, released Tuesday by the AP, is the organization's first list putting schools against each other using all-time success as a measuring stick.

"College football is rich with history, and the AP poll is a unique measure of how the sport has changed through time," deputy sports editor Noreen Gillespie said prior to the list's release. "The all-time list lets fans interact with that history, and debate how the nation's top programs fared over time."

According to the AP, the rankings were based on total poll appearances, number of times ranked No. 1 and AP national championships. The AP poll started on Oct. 19, 1936, with 20 teams before getting reduced to 10 teams (1961-67) and then expanding back to 20 in 1968. The AP Top 25, as we know it today, started with the 1989 football season.

Check out the 1-100 list below, but head over to the AP for breakdowns of the top 25 teams and point differentials for the remaining 75.

Ohio State: 77.24 percent of all AP polls
    Oklahoma: 71.08 percent of all AP polls
    Notre Dame: 69.45 percent of all AP polls
    Alabama: 67.54 percent of all AP polls
    Southern California: 67.36 percent of all AP polls
    Nebraska
    Michigan
    Texas
    Florida State
    Florida

I only posted the top 10. Here is a link to the rest.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...s-top-100-college-football-teams-of-all-time/

2. Mazeppa

Mazeppa Well-Known Member

I guess all those times texas was overrated in the polls got them a higher ranking in this poll. And no Oklahoma was never overrated. :)

3. Sabanball

Sabanball Well-Known Member

I don't guess championships figure much into the methodology they used, which is the ultimate goal. I don't disagree with you guys at no. 2 but putting Bama at no. 4 is an absolute joke. Both of our programs EACH have more NC's than Ohio State, Texas, and Michigan--COMBINED.

4. Widescreen

Widescreen SoonerFans.com Elite Member

What are you talking about? OU doesn't claim Ladies Home Journal national championships so OU doesn't have more NCs than those other schools combined.

5. Sabanball

Sabanball Well-Known Member

Sorry, I did not account for Michigan's two NC's.

6. TheHumanAlphabet

TheHumanAlphabet SoonerFans.com Elite Member

The Houston Chronicle is crying that UT was 6, 6! positions lower than OU. It is a poll not to be trusted...

7. cratica

cratica New Member

That's actually really interesting. Pretty awesome that we are #2. Hopefully we'll surpass Ohio State soon. I remember the days of the wishbone offense growing up in Del City in the 70's. Fun times.

8. Jacie

Jacie SoonerFans.com Elite Member

The Houston Chronicle is crying that UT was 6, 6! positions lower than OU. It is a poll not to be trusted...

If they hadn't sucked so much since the AP came out . . .