1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please No Number 1 Seed

Discussion in 'Sooner Basketball' started by Mookie91, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Mookie91

Mookie91 Member

This a 30/30 waiting to happen.

2. hawaii 5-0

hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

This team needs to go into the NCAA Tourney with a chip on its shoulder. A #2 seed would help do that.

5-0

3. Rock Hard Corn Frog

Rock Hard Corn Frog New Member

I understand the sentiment but I think we need at least 2 more wins, probably 3 for that to happen which would mean the team in playing better basketball.

Blowing a 26 point lead at home was bad of epic proportions. I don't even think it was fatigue as much as finding creative ways down the stretch to have turnovers leading to lay-ups. It was a win though.

I'd take a 2 seed today and run with it though.

4. SoonerorLater

SoonerorLater Well-Known Member

These long scoring outages are a real concern. When you live by the 3 you can expect can expect to string several scoreless possessions together from time to time but these runs the last games have been pretty awful. If Baylor has even an average night from the free throw line we lose the game.

5. Soonerjeepman

Soonerjeepman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

amazingly the stats were basically reversed in the second half. (score wise)

yes, 2 horrible droughts (ut and bu), not a way to do into the tourney. We just had some total brain fart plays. Give bu credit, they stepped it up def but some of those issues were self-inflicted.

6. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

A 1-seed a guaranteed placement in the second round/the one with 32 teams so why are you all against it?

The year my daughter was born, two 2-seeds fell to 15-seeds (Duke and Mizzou). It's happened before, whereas 16-seeds are from the worst conferences that barely field scholarship teams.

I get that a 16 will eventually beat a 1 and we don't want to be the first (and I know it's happened in WBB so don't even bother mentioning that). But still... GUARANTEED ADVANCEMENT! Don't fight it!

7. rock on sooner

rock on sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Welp, IMO, OUr Sooners gotta win the conference tourney to get a one
    seed at this point....#6 in the AP, which, oddly, is important in roundball
    but doesn't mean much with the pointy type pigskin.

More importantly, I'd like OUr guys to beat KU at least once this year...

8. hawaii 5-0

It's the old 'we were voted down so now we have to show 'em we were really deserving of a #1 seed.' Against Kansas State it seemed the Sooners were playing like they just had to show up and they'd win. I want them to go into the NCAAs with a chip on their shoulder, hungry to prove to the World they're deserving.

5-0

9. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

The chip on the shoulder should already be there from tourney endings of disappointment past.

OU was supposed to beat North Dakota State in 2014. Why didn't OU beat Michigan State in the Sweet 16 last year? We were the 10 side of a 7-10, but still... why did we lose by 15 to San Diego State in 2013?

Let alone this season so far... Kansas was down and out this season, it was finally supposed to be the year this group wins in Lawrence and someone else (especially us) was going to win the Big 12 regular season...

But by all means, that 2-seed will surely motivate this unmotivated group a bit more. :p

10. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

If there's anything this team doesn't need, it's motivation to work harder. This team has shortcomings, but not in the work ethic department.

11. hawaii 5-0

I've seen lots of times this season where OU would build a lead only to relax abit, let the guards get driven on for a layup or easy dish to a big man for a dunk. Or simply make sloppy passes like those that let Baylor back in the game.

I've also seem OU take quick shots that were less desirable, low percentage when it wasn't necessary.

I wanna see OU play a full 40 minutes. Both on offense and defense. That's Lon's job.

Maybe others are watching a different game.

5-0

12. Eielson

This team lives in the gym. Cousins literally slept on a couch in the locker room if I'm not mistaken until he came out of his slump.

13. Sooner95

Sooner95 Well-Known Member

I think teams have simply figured out how to defend us. Pressure the guard because our post play is just not that threatening.

Now if we are shooting the rock well, we are pretty hard to beat. Transition game going, knocking down 10-11 treys a game, we win those.

A #1 seed will be hard but not impossible to snag still. Our SOS is still pretty damn good, Virginia, NC, Nova ahead of us, one IF not all of them could very well falter in Conf tourney play. Door is still open.

1 or 2, we are still going to play in OKC for the 1st/2nd rounds. Pretty big advantage there. It does seem brackets are slapping us out West...which may not be the worst thing. One thing we know the West #1 seed will most likely be the worst #1 seed...

Having said ALL of THAT. The parity in hoops this years simply means this. This team plays up to its fullest it can win the National Title. There is no unbeatable team this year.

Beat TCU tomorrow, get a WVU loss and land the #2seed in BIG12 Tourney. Win a game get to BIG12 title game, see what happens. I personally would like to see KU in the Big dance for a 3rd time and reverse 1988 on their asses.

Pricetag likes this.
  14. hawaii 5-0

Anyone remember when Lattin was blocking about 5 shots per game ?

Good times......

Also, Buddy is being guarded much closer the past 10 games or so. Lon needs to plan for Buddy to get more help via screens. Curry seems to continue to launch a lot of 3s.

5-0

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  15. Sooner95

Sooner95 Well-Known Member

I'm going to correct myself a bit here after looking into some more data.

Kansas is a lock for a #1. Don't think anyone can argue that.

Nova is a lock as well. They host G'town in final game (Win), and then really just need to win one game to make BigE Semis, which will lock them in.

For the final two #1 seeds, it's between OU, MSU, NC & VA.

Is MSU runs it out and makes the BIG10 title game, they'll be a 1.

NC/VA, tough one...I can't imagine the committee not putting an ACC team on the One line, and I'm not even including Miami in this scenario.

Put it this way, it's going to be difficult for OU to snag a #1.

Thoughts?

16. DrZaius

DrZaius Well-Known Member

tons of 15-2 upsets....

no 16-1 upsets....

just sayin

17. Eielson

If we beat Kansas and take the Big XII tourney, we're grabbing a #1.

18. Eielson

Assuming, of course, that we beat TCU. That's not a safe assumption, though, as this has been one of the most disappointing seasons on the road that I can recall.

19. hawaii 5-0

I agree with Eielson. Our road games have been less than stellar overall, considering our talent.

We shouda been up by 20 against TCU at the half. Instead.......

About Buford..... I really like his potential, but he's a work in progress. I'd like to see him down on the post more rather than looking for the '3'. His build reminds me of Waymon. Waymon had that low post move where he took a step away from the basket and went up for the soft shot. He wasn't even jumping high but it was an automatic move that was so smooth. Or, he should be getting the ball in the low block and immediately be taking one or two steps and be above the rim for an automatic dunk or a sure foul. Instead he takes baby steps, still leaves himself away from the basket and often gets the ball swatted out of his hands. Needs to develop hand strength. He could also learn that 'Calvin Pierce Move' when he gets the ball about 8 feet along the baseline, drives the baseline and comes up underneath the backboard for a reverse slam. Always was a crowd pleaser, and Donte is known for his powerful dunks.

I felt for Lattin today. Played like a freshman and quickly went back to the pine.

5-0

20. Soonerjeepman

Soonerjeepman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

the rpi and bpi, that everyone claims are great indicators, as of last week has OU at 6th and 7th I believe. With unc holding 1st in one of those. It'll take OU to win the big 12 or at least get to the championship game for us to get a 1 seed.

I said on ouhoops, all this "talk" about unc being a lock for #1 is going to do that....regardless of their schedule. It's reputation. Same with MSU. We actually MIGHT be in danger of going to a 3 IF we lose the first game against isu.