1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone really think Stoops...

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by ObiKaTony, Jan 8, 2016.

1. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Boy, did Stoops and OU hurt some people's feelers by making the playoffs, but not winning it all. If only that Vol comeback didn't happen and if Parker could have miss-judged the ball on that 2-point try, there might be some sanity to this thread. The butt hurt runs deep at the realization that Stoops is sitting pretty for a couple more seasons. I guess reality does bite.

2. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

jkm the stolen pifwafwi SoonerFans.com Elite Member

It didn't take a beat down at the hands of clemson to show me how far we'd fallen, I could tell that by playing teams like Tulsa (I'm assuming you are talking about last year since this year we were a clapping penalty and 2 red zone INTs away). I've been complaining about our lack of talent AT CERTAIN POSITIONS since 2007. Every one of those positions has a new coach now. If they end up being bad at evaluating talent then you have a case (since his main responsibility is hiring position coaches that can evaluate and develop elite talent).

Our overall talent level has increased markedly over the last several years except for OL and WR. I'm still not sold on Bedenbaugh being good enough to get us to the next level. And I have no clue why Norvell continues to get jobs, that guy would do better picking random WR names out of a hat.

3. winout

winout New Member

It is interesting that leading into this week's NFL games we were second to only UGA in number of players on the roster of competing teams. Tenn. was third. None of those teams has realistically competed for a national title in the last few years. Is it coaching?

4. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

If you look at the list, our superstars (the guys that made a crazy impact here) are kind of graying. http://espn.go.com/nfl/college/_/letter/o.

Interesting Notes:

Now that Davin is out of the NFL (and he graduated in 2004) we have ZERO guards but 3 centers and 5 tackles. In other words, a microcosm of our OL play where we struggle up the middle
    We have 3 Linebackers - Loftin (2007), Lewis (effort), Nelson (hurt)
    Post 2008, we have a lot of guys who were good here but not outstanding (arguments could be made for some)

5. Since71ASooner4Life

Since71ASooner4Life Active Member

So are you going to name those who will win?

6. manateepower

manateepower Member

This apologetic needs to be stickied. It's been addressed time and time again.

I have NO IDEA who is going to win. I don't have a crystal. All I can do is go off of the information that we currently have.

While I don't know who is going to win, I DO know that history has shown us that generally coaches who stay around for too long can get stale and complacent after some early success (see lloyd carr, frank beamer, bobby bowden, and I could name many more), and generally do not all of a sudden gain an elite coaching ability out of the blue. Especially not one who is hiring Chaplains to coach the OL, overweight 35 year olds with no play calling experience to run the office, and allowing Tim Kish to coach in ANY CAPACITY.

Getting blown out in a semi-final game is NOT evidence to the contrary. It's just a reflection of how far we have to go to be an elite college football program. I am not confident that a guy approaching two decades and talking about not wanting to coach too long because of family history with health issues is the guy.

Take a chance on a younger, less arrogant and stubborn guy. Who? I don't know. Let's find out. If the Athletic Department is doing their job, they should be doing this kind of research constantly. Keeping an eye as much of the coaching talent as possible.

7. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

I'll give you Bowden. However, he didn't win his first national title until his 27th year (the other in his 33rd year). Talk about a guy that very rarely won the big one, that is your guy (12 consecutive top 10 finishes, 2 national titles during that stretch).

Frank Beamer on the other hand, played in one national title game in his career - that 1999 game that Bowden won. He only finished in the top 10 5 times in 28 years. Stoops has finished in the top 10 in 10 out 17 years.