1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ESPN fears the Stanford band

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by BoulderSooner79, Jan 1, 2016.

1. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I'm watching the Rose Bowl and ESPN broadcast a bunch of the Iowa performance at half time. Then the Stanford band took the field in some formation and they switched to a blimp view from way up high where you couldn't see the field. There was a long awkward pause and then switch to a commercial. They never came back to the band. My guess is that they had no guarantee the band wouldn't do something politically incorrect, so they chickened out. Weenies.

2. rock on sooner

rock on sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I'm watching the game as well and paid particular attention to when the
    Stanford band came on the field...I was pretty sure that it would be some
    kind of entertaining and then, no voice over, long pull back from the field
    and turn to focus on the freaking mountains....weenies aint the word I'd
    use!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. FaninAma

FaninAma SoonerFans.com Elite Member

The Stanford band is a joke. I could round up a hundred drunk frat/sorority types and put on the same type of stupid juvenile show. Their schtick is old and tiresome. Acting like an idiot isn't cool or cutting edge.

4. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

something about a giant cow and farmersonly.com or something

5. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

and i disagree. their band is actually fun.

i don't hardly pay attention to ours anymore.

6. rock on sooner

I've spent a few years in Lacrosse, WI for Octoberfest when the U of WI
    Alum marching band alums brought up the rear of the parade with their
    absolutely out of sight routine that brought cheers from the crowd AND

7. rock on sooner

I went for another brew....the band was hung over, in some cases
    still drunk, the brat was hot, beer was cold...fun to be enjoyed by
    all! That is what I was expecting from the dayum tree and ESPN
    screwed it up....jus sayin...

8. BoulderSooner79

I know some folks that went to the game and it wasn't much to see. Usually, the band does something to make fun of the opposing team or their fans and that's what I was curious to see. I figured it could even be political this year since we are approaching the Iowa caucuses and the clown car of candidates descending on those poor folks. Or maybe just something about corn. But I guess it was just something weird about snapchat. I like to see what they are up to since I have a degree from Stanford, but they have become way too tame in recent years to be interesting. Lost their edge.

9. winout

winout New Member

I remember the VW that was strategically placed for Vanessa Williams when they visited OU in 1984.

it was something like this:
    W
    V

BTW, we are 4-1 vs Stanford.

10. aurorasooner

aurorasooner Well-Known Member

That Rose Bowl HT show couldn't be any worse than the Orange Bowl CFB playoff halftime show yesterday that were an endless string of commercials with a few promos of the ESPiN New Year's Eve show which followed the later game. There was just a brief summary of the 1st half right before the 2nd half started, and that's when we switched the main monitor back over to the game channel.

This whole CFB thing being on one network is the chitez imo. Sure glad there are other options than watching brain-dead constant back-to-back info-mercials. Thank goodness for 'net radio where you can get some interesting views/opinions of the 1st half and some FB talk.

11. FaninAma

FaninAma SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I'd be embarrassed and pissed if I was paying $40,000 a year for my kid to go to Stanford and they acted like that on National television. Like I said, if I want stupid and silly as my entertainment I will break out my DVD of Animal House. I've seen more originality from a bunch of toddlers in a Montessori classroom.

They're not funny, they're not original and they sound like ****. And their act is old.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  12. Jacie

Jacie SoonerFans.com Elite Member

The Stanford marching band gets a pass way out of proportion to the talent they display. Yes, they can run around and eventually make a formation on the field but to equate that with what every other college marching band does makes calling them a marching band an insult to all the others.

Marching bands march in tight geometric patterns, playing their instruments as they do it. Their movements are synchronized such that when they do come to rest in a recognizable formation, it is almost magical.

The Stanford marching band is like one for the kids who couldn't follow instructions or failed the tryout.

13. BoulderSooner79

They are not for the lights-off, missionary position only crowd, but no rule they should be. If I want to see a traditional band, I'll watch the tOSU band (which I do). If my kid got into Stanford, I'd be thrilled and I wouldn't give a crap if they joined the Stanford band. I know they would grow up and be the next CEO of some company. And it wouldn't matter at all if they acted like a goof ball when they were an 18-22 yo.

14. Soonerjeepman

Soonerjeepman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

well, I didn't think they played anything worth a crap...but again tv didn't have any sound from there.

They definitely are over-inflated egos...they act like a$$es, yet they think everyone "loves" them...they have their reputation...whatever. To this 51 yr old they look like idiots. Just my 2 cents..

15. BoulderSooner79

The Stanford fans and alums like them for the most part and that's all that matters. I happen to be both and I look forward to seeing what they have up their sleeve. If you expect a precision marching band, you're not going to get one as that is a non-goal. They absolutely do not think that everyone "loves" them. In fact, they have stated that one measure of a successful performance is to have the opposing fans boo them. Their performance is based on parody and satire aimed to entertain the home fans. That's always a hit and miss proposition and they have certainly laid some eggs. But they have also come up with some pretty clever skits. Just this 59 yr old 2 cents.

16. Soonerjeepman

Soonerjeepman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

true...the beauty of the message board..we all have our own opinions..

cheers!

17. SoonerStormchaser

SoonerStormchaser Emma's Daddy!

That was the Okie State band.

18. Tear Down This Wall

Tear Down This Wall Well-Known Member

This is a network that gave Bruce Jenner dressed up as a woman an award. Yet, a little sophomoric humor from a college band is too much for them?

19. BoulderSooner79

Seriously! The snapchat thing was last year. I guess the skit yesterday (as yermom said) made fun of a specialty online dating site for farmers along with a corn field maze and a reference to cow tipping. Pretty tame stuff, but I wonder if ESPN just didn't want the boos from the Iowa fans coming through the audio (which they ware doing). I wonder what would have happened if some of the pro athletes would have booed Jenner at the awards ceremony?

20. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

My uncle and I were watching trying to figure out what the heck that cow was doing.