1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

And that's all for the Chip Kelly show...

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Snrinhouston, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Snrinhouston

Snrinhouston Active Member

…so which college will go after him?

Or will he sit on the sidelines for a year hoping the Texas job opens up?

2. swardboy

swardboy SoonerFans.com Elite Member

More importantly to me, how does this shake out for Sam and Demarco. I'm sure Lane will do just fine.

3. Jacie

Jacie SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Makes you wonder if places like sa*et and usc are taking a look at the buyout and thinking, "Hmmm . . ."

4. Snrinhouston

Snrinhouston Active Member

^^^^^ exactly

5. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I think the trades for Sam and DM is what got him fired.

6. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Every single one that needs a coach.

7. Jacie

Jacie SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Chippy was paid $2.8 million his last year at duck u., while his philly contract was $32.5 million for 6 years (that's $6.5 million/year for the math challenged). So the idea of going back to college would mean taking a pay cut unless he could get a deal on par with Saban or Harbaugh.

8. swardboy

swardboy SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I see he was "released" for a little over $13 million. He can take a year off.

9. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I was going to say that USC was going to fork out that kind of cash for him, but then I found out that they hired their interim coach. Phew!

I think Miami would be wise to consider forking out the big bucks. Other than that, I can't see any reason not to take the year off.

10. Pride1Mom

Pride1Mom Member

It amazes me how STUPID the pro teams are! I am not a pro football fan, because rarely do you ever see a true TEAM effort. The Patriots are an exception. I watch the pro games only because the college games are over, and I love the game itself. The Redskins when Joe Gibbs was coach played like a team. Dallas has NEVER figured it out.

11. mainline13

mainline13 Member

Not considering myself to be math challenged, I divided it for myself and came up with 32.5 / 6 = 5.4167. Not sure about your challenges .... Proofreading, at a minimum. :sneakiness:

winout likes this.
  12. Soonerfan88

Soonerfan88 Well-Known Member

I really doubt he would go to texas. One article I read, maybe from pro football talk, said Kelly really didn't like dealing with recruits or boosters because of all the ego stroking necessary for both of them. That doesn't sound like someone who would be happy in Austin.

If he doesn't get another NFL job, I would predict he sits out the year so he can take his time and find the spot he wants.

13. winout

winout New Member

"The smarmy one ©" doesn't like dealing with people. Needs to be an OC not a head coach.

14. Breadburner

Breadburner Well-Known Member

Rumor has it he can't coach college until 2017......

15. nighttrain12

nighttrain12 Well-Known Member

Sam has done pretty well though. Not using DeMarco the right way is why he has been struggling. I think the coach didn't relate to his players well. Going from college to the pros is not always an easy or successful transition for coaches and I think that was Chip's biggest problem ... himself!

16. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Sam has been okay, but he is not as good a fit as Foles was. How many of those zone read plays did Sam end up keeping? :) Both Sam and DM were not good fits for his offense. Kelly's record as coach was 10-6,10-6,6-9 which is not bad by NFL standards. But he only had personal control this last year and many of his moves were head scratchers. That's what got him fired, not the one bad year coaching. But it will work out fine for Sam and DM. Heck, it will work out fine for Kelly in the long run.