1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Baker for Heisman finalist

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by jdg, Dec 7, 2015.

1. jdg

jdg New Member

Finalist revealed:
    Derrick Henry Alabama.
    Christian McCaffrey Stanford.
    Deshaun Watson Clemson.

2. Flagstaffsooner

Flagstaffsooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Awards should be given after everything is over.

3. cvsooner

cvsooner Well-Known Member

"I'm here to git mah boy's trophy back" is all I can say.

4. BB37

BB37 Active Member

Unfortunate, but not a big surprise. Sitting and studying for finals instead of playing probably cost him an invite.

5. tycat947

tycat947 New Member

Really a shame but hope he keeps that chip on his shoulder to show everyone how wrong they are!

6. swardboy

swardboy SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Tuck fexas.

7. Since71ASooner4Life

Since71ASooner4Life Active Member

Perfect

8. jdg

jdg New Member

Zach Sanchez on twitter: They jus woke up an even bigger monster inside 6 ...

9. BetterSoonerThanLater

BetterSoonerThanLater SoonerFans.com Elite Member

It's pretty ****ty. He wasn't going to win,but to not even get an invite, and only invite three.

I hope BM stomps a hole in Watson, and whoops bama's *** in the NCG.

Screw everyone else! Keep the tour rolling, play with that chip on your shoulder, and kick ***!

10. jdg

jdg New Member

http://oklahoma.247sports.com/Bolt/Mayfield-snubbed-in-Heisman-Trophy-voting-41834183

Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield was one of the biggest differences in the Sooners’ success this season, leading the team to an 11-1 record, the Big 12 Championship and a spot in the College Football Playoff.

But that apparently wasn’t good enough for Heisman Trophy voters, who didn’t pick Mayfield as a finalist for the award, which goes to the top player in college football. Instead, Alabama’s Derrick Henry, Clemson’s Deshaun Watson and Stanford’s Christian McCaffrey will head to New York.

Mayfield completed 68.6 percent of his passes for 3,389 yards and 35 touchdowns to five interceptions, the second-best touchdown-to-interception ratio in the country. And Pro Football Focus, which grades players on a play-by-play basis as coaches and scouts do, rated Mayfield as the top quarterback in the country this season.

Even more importantly, Mayfield turned a position of inconsistency for the Sooners into a massive strength and was at his best when Oklahoma’s back was against the wall.

Oklahoma wouldn’t have made the College Football Playoff without Mayfield. Without him, the Sooners wouldn’t have been close. And because of that, a Heisman ceremony without Mayfield isn’t close to right.

11. Okie35

Okie35 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

He will be a front runner next year. It's no big deal would've been good for him to go but f the distraction. Now there's an even bigger chip there.

12. BetterSoonerThanLater

I bet if you were to ask him, baker would take the NC over the heisman.
    **** stiff arm trophy, he will win it next year. Meanwhile, I hope he uses this as motivation to bring home the trophy that really matters!

#8. Baby!

13. cvsooner

cvsooner Well-Known Member

Yeah, a NC trophy would look better than a Heisman this year. Next year he can get the Heisman too.

That said, honestly, though his performance was/is amazing, I have to say that overall, with everything, the guy who impressed me the most was Christian McCaffrey. [ducks]

Most all purpose yards in history. One of only three guys to do over 3,000 yards in college football history. Absolutely amazing.

14. Mookie91

Mookie91 Member

Thank god, Baker is cocky enough needs a bit of humility

15. BetterSoonerThanLater

don't confuse cocky with confident. he definitely has a chip on his shoulder, but He single handedly has helped bring the swagger back to this team. Besides... he's walked on to Two different FBS schools. no one else can say that. I'd say he deserves to be a little cocky. he walked in, walked on, and kicked ***. he's backed up his attitude, the players respect him, and I have never seen him be disrespectful.

16. S.PadreIsl.Sooner

S.PadreIsl.Sooner Well-Known Member

Motivation....

17. Soonerjeepman

Soonerjeepman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

yup

18. Mookie91

Mookie91 Member

Cocky leads to mistakes

19. Soonerjeepman

wow dude...seriously?

you think OU would even be close to playoffs without him? He's transformed this team. I don't think he's cocky at all...he's confident in his abilities and his teammates.

man, lighten up and enjoy the ride. I for one didn't think OU would be in this spot...hell yeah!

20. Soonerjeepman

Senior linebacker Torrance Marshall was named the game’s MVP with six tackles and a clutch interception in the first quarter. But his most memorable moment of the night came before the opening kickoff.

When team captains met for the pregame coin toss, Marshall told Weinke, “I’m here to get my boy’s (Heupel’s) Heisman Trophy back.”

Marshall wasn’t actually able to steal the Heisman from Weinke, but he did help Heupel earn another trophy. It was one much more important to the Heupel, now the Sooners’ offensive coordinator, and OU’s program as a whole.

Before Bob Stoops arrived in 1999, the Sooners had just completed a third consecutive losing season. But here, two years later, OU sat atop college football for the first time since 1985.