1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big 12 recruiting: OU up, OSU uh oh

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by badger, Dec 4, 2015.

1. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

So a Tulsa area (Collinsville specifically) 4-star linebacker recruit just decommitted from OSU and rumor has it he's heading to OU instead :)
    Link

It is at least the second OSU decommit since Saturday's blowout :stunned:

ESPN also had a fun read on how OU can fix the Big 12's recent recruiting woes.
    Link

I know five stars don't always pan out for OU or others, but fun read on this "bye" week

2. CowboyMRW

CowboyMRW Wrestling is OSU

OSU, OU, Baylor, Tech, and Texas have all brought in at least one 5* these last 5 years.

Secondly to Levi Draper specifically, most people thought he was OU bound from the get-go. He committed to us out of spite since Mike Stoops was an absolute *** on his visit to him. Every reasonable OSU fan saw the writing on the wall immediately, and to even the most orange sunshine pumpers, once Bosworth got involved they knew it was over.

3. badger

Cheer, up, MRW. It's basketball season now.

oh wait

4. oupride

oupride New Member

58-23

5. CowboyMRW

The kid is a helluva player, but I'm not salty about losing him. He was never ours anyway.

Doug Gottlieb will be here next year to coach, and there is some pretty good talent on the team, and hopefully a real coach can utilize it.

6. CowboyMRW

Congrats on the *** beating

7. dwarthog

dwarthog Well-Known Member

How are those 5 stars panning for those SEC schools?

8. badger

Easy question to answer: Every SEC recruit has five stars, so simply look at each team's record. Since we can assume Alabama is the only SEC team since that's the only one ESPN ever mentions, all of the SEC's five-star recruits are headed for the playoff after winning the SEC title.

Did you type that with a straight face

9. swardboy

swardboy SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I believe a tackle from Webb City, Missouri decommitted from Missouri to go to OU.

OT Tristan Castillo 6'4" 280 lbs. All-State selection by coaches in 2014.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  10. CowboyMRW

Which part? There is talent on the team, they just are fundamentally bad. Everyone knows Ford is gone after this year, and I think Holder will have to go with a name to get people to come back. For whatever reason, OSU fans in any sport, will only support an alum as a coach, so I think it'll be Gottlieb, and I think he can be a pretty good coach. We have the facilities to match up with anyone in the nation, now we need the coaching and fan support.

11. Soonerjeepman

Soonerjeepman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

interesting...didn't know he wanted to coach. Serious question..has he ever coached? I though he was only a commentator.

12. badger

The part where you suggested an alum with no coaching experience (I even checked his Wikipedia page for anything obscure) is a "real coach" that OSU will hire to resurrect the program of Henry Iba and Eddie Sutton.

Not that I'd mind as an OU fan, mind you. Just wait until he starts appearing in ads for OSU's official credit card. Hell, maybe they'll plaster his face on it

yermom likes this.
  13. CowboyMRW

He's wanted to coach for awhile, but no, he has not ever coached before. There was a lot of push for him to get the KState job after Martin left. Many people thought he had it wrapped up before they ended up going with Weber.

He played PG under Eddie, and his dad was a big time HS coach in California and his brother coaches somewhere, so he knows the game pretty well. Plus I think he's a pretty good commentator when I watch him do games.

I honestly think that he's the only one that could bring fans back though, especially since Self isn't coming back. I see him as maybe a Hoiberg hire, as in high risk / high reward. Would be nice to see Bedlams mean something again.

14. FaninAma

FaninAma SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Mike Stoops acting like an ***? Say it ain't so! LOL. Actually Mike has been very nice the only 2 times I have met him. Bob, on the other hand, was not very personable and he is known to show his *** from time to time.

15. Soonerjeepman

ah, I agree, I've like his commentating...just didn't think he had any experience. You really think the alumni would go for that? I understand the alumni thing (think john blake at OU--ugh) but I see osu's basketball rep being better than an alumni guy (no matter how good) who has no coaching experience...just my 2 cents

16. Soonerjeepman

actually met Mike in Wichita, I was coaching HS bball and we were in a tournament that had a kid from Garden City, Zona was there to recruit him for football, like 3 coaches..lol. I thought it was Mike, so I went up to him and talk for a few. He seemed decent then. Course I also never blew coverage on a route either...

17. CowboyMRW

I love OSU basketball. It was my dream growing up to play there, i definitely was not good enough though. I would honestly take a full GIA every night and a basketball NC over a football NC personally.

But now, no one goes, and I mean no one. That's gonna be a huge red flag to hire any type of decent coach that has other options. So I think Holder's first priority has to be filling the stadium, and at OSU, the only way to do it is a well known alum I think.

Kinda crazy to think about, but if that 2005 class had fully made it to campus and stayed a couple years how different we are today. Or if Holder had hired Brad Stevens instead of Ford.

18. CowboyMRW

I think it was Richt who came in and met with Draper and said, "We don't need to watch any of your latest film, we are gonna offer you on the spot." The next day, Mike came in and basically told him that he's watched film, but isn't sure if he's going to offer. He was going on vacation this next week, and would mull the possible offer over and let Levi know when he gets back.

Mike gets back to Norman and Bob asks how it went and if he offered, and Mike told Bob about it and Bob ripped into his ***. Bob personally took over his recruitment that day, and has been his lead recruiter since.

With Levi and the other three 5* LBs you have, do you anticipate moving to a 4-3 or staying at a 3-4. I don't really see any pure pass rushers on your team like Striker is, but a 3-4 is the best way to maximize that ridiculous LB talent.

19. soonergirlNeugene

soonergirlNeugene New Member

That second link is one of those ESPN insider articles. I just can't bring myself to give them money.

20. Piware

Piware Well-Known Member

Good for him. Glad we got him but no kid of mine would go to Mizzou for anything. Coach gone, campus run by anarchists and a stink college town 70 miles from anything does not a recruiting center make.