1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Knight

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by ObiKaTony, Nov 21, 2015.

1. SoonerorLater

SoonerorLater Well-Known Member

Obviously all of you are wrong about TK

""It's been a very tight battle among those three guys," said head coach Bob Stoops in a statement on the team's official website. "Baker, Trevor and Cody have all made substantial progress and I feel we can win with any of them."

Bob Stoops - Aug 24 2015

2. birddog

birddog SoonerFans.com Elite Member

There is nothing else he could say. Trevor has been thru alot and stoops will always be loyal to his guys f they do things the "right way" off the field as well.

3. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

And we did win with TK - weren't you watching? Stoops never said anything about needing a 23-7 lead to begin with nor needing a do or defense of a 2 pt attempt to get that win, but he may have implied it.

4. Piware

Piware Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same thing myself. Is he just snake bit from his previous injury? He did have some paralysis for a while and it was a scary injury.

5. SoonerorLater

Well that's a pretty narrow view. I thought we won because of the "substantial progress" that Trevor Knight has made. How could it be otherwise? The OU coaching staff by their own admission viewed this as a tight battle. In fact so tight, they just couldn't decide who would be the starting QB until twelve days from the start of the season.

6. soonergirlNeugene

soonergirlNeugene New Member

Yeah, you hate to bash the guy after what he went through. Certainly hasn't been the same player he was before the hit. I know he wasn't lights-out amazing before the Baylor game last year, but he wasn't ever so sloppy with his release.

7. VA Sooner

VA Sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

So... do we go back to a pared down play book to include a few easy passes and the single-read option play since we have a stable of good running backs? Regardless... the defense will have to bring their A game and know they are going to be on the field for a lot longer. Secondary is good enough to play with the OSU receivers and hopefully the pass-rush will be on fire.

8. VA Sooner

VA Sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Also... OSU was held to a paltry amount of rushing yards against Baylor's defense... hope our boys up front can match that.

9. SoonerorLater

That will absolutely not be necessary. Lincoln Riley has the utmost faith in Trevor Knight

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/oklahoma-qb-mayfield-uncertain-oklahoma-st-game-35358750

------------------------------

"There's not anything in this offense he can't do," Riley said. "This is a guy that came as close as it could be to starting the season as a starter and a guy that's won a lot of games, a lot of major games."

10. BoulderSooner79

If Riley doesn't say something like that, he should be fired.

"Knight was terrible and we're probably doomed given his limited capabilities if Mayfield can't go. We'll do what we can by handing off to Perine everytime and going for it on every 4th down. But if the line is anything less than 20 points in favor of the pokes, I take that easy money."

11. SoonerorLater

Coaches need to know that it isn't a crime to give a forthright, honest answer. I think he should consider using your quote.

12. aurorasooner

aurorasooner Well-Known Member

While I think the change from JH to LR was for the best, we may have to rethink some of the JH hate from last year because he obviously had his hands tied with the lack of a quality QB.
    Of course he recruited these guys to be D-1 QBs as well, before BM fell into our lap.
    If the NCAA had sided with OU, and not handed down any penalties at all against BM because he wasn't on scholarship and was paying his own way, it would've been interesting to see who the starting QB would've been last year from the outset. IMO, BM behind the quality OL we had last year would've been a killer, but I don't know even if he was eligible if he would've been given the nod over TK.

btw, I don't have any problems with the NCAA making BM sit a year, but I don't agree with the ruling that he should lose a year as well.

With Baylor having 3 serviceable QBs and playing respectable with each, TCU doing the same, and OSU having 2 serviceable QBs, it's also going to be interesting to see if LR can do the same and bring a 'Bama type TK back to the table if BM can't go against OSU, or if TK rides the pine in favor or our 3rd teamer.

13. BoulderSooner79

I believe that Mayfield and/or OU is still petitioning to get that year back which would make him a RS Soph this year. We'll see.

I think the hardest thing about OU having more quality at backup is the need to have someone scramble like BM does in order to succeed. I don't think you can teach that. If our O-line makes big strides going into next season, I think we'll be more sound at back-up QB. The other 3 big12 competitors have stronger O-lines; especially Baylor where it is a strength of their team.

14. kenth68

kenth68 Member

You can't teach that, but you can surely look for it in scouting/recruiting.

15. BoulderSooner79

Perhaps, but I don't think it is a common skill - at least not at Mayfield's level. It's more straight forward to scout/recruit/develop O-lineman that can better protect the passer.

16. 100 percent agree and the play calls looked like single reads also..

17. Pride1Mom

Pride1Mom Member

VA Sooner....what Trevor Knight lost was confidence. He played with a lot of moxie his freshman year. Also, TCU is a VERY good team, they just have a bone head coach wanting the two points early in the game. The OU defense changed and TCU started scoring on them.

18. East Coast Bias

East Coast Bias Active Member

Maybe it was a confidence issue? And wasn't the TCU game last year when everything blew up on Trevor?Katie Perry did not help either....

19. birddog

birddog SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Its maker bayfield but whatever. Knight will be successful in whatever he does and if thats helping maker get us #8 im all for it. But he needs to help from the sideline.