1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still think we can't get into the playoffs if we win out?

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by SoCalBigRed, Nov 16, 2015.

1. SoCalBigRed

SoCalBigRed Well-Known Member

AP Top 25: Oklahoma State, Oklahoma move up rankings

2. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

Since i have 200 and my son a 100 on OU to win it all at 35 to 1 odds Im Praying we win OUT LOL

3. soonercastor

soonercastor New Member

ND needs to lose to stanford and we will control our own destiny.

When it's all said and done we will probably have a slightly better resume, however we lost to a team that they destroyed and their loss is on the road to the #1 and they're Notre Dame.

If they lose we're in the clear, if they don't there will be a debate and I think they get the nod ultimately

4. swardboy

swardboy SoonerFans.com Elite Member

FWIW Notre Dame alumni Mike Golic thinks OU will jump ND with one loss records, even with a ND win over Stanford, which lost this weekend to Oregon.

5. BigTip

BigTip Well-Known Member

Arggggggh! I just hate this because it is so true. That's why I hate Notre Dame so much.

Imagine the horror if ND was in the SEC. They would have to lose three times each year to not be in the play off discussions!

6. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

He's not the only one, I've seen a couple of other talking heads speculate the same. It's based on a conference championship making the difference (it applies to OSU too). It requires one of the teams to win out against the other big12 "3", so TCU and BU are effectively eliminated under that scenario. I still think other things will happen such as North Carolina beating Clemson that would let the big12 winner get in.

7. SoonerMarkVA

SoonerMarkVA New Member

That would be huge, and *really* shake things up.

8. Pride1Mom

Pride1Mom Member

The best thing that OU has going for it is the TRADITION AND THE LARGE FAN BASE. People love watching OU, even the ones that HATE us love watching us. But the idiots they have on the council do not KNOW anything about the Big XII and think that what they see in the Big 10 and SEC is great football. They were amazed at Texas A&M and Missouri, and in the BIG XII those programs were in the middle of the pack!!!

9. tycat947

tycat947 New Member

Actually, Dr Tom knows about Big 12 and he's using every fiber in his body (along with NU alum Barry Alvarez!) to dis the Big 12. Dr Tom is hypocritical scum!

10. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Maybe we should all play out our seasons first before we worry about what the poll will look like in December :D

11. BoulderSooner79

Sacrilege !

12. BoulderSooner79

I don't see the tradition or TV money coming into the equation. Certainly it shouldn't. I think the games themselves will draw huge interest regardless of the teams exactly because they are playoffs combined with how big college football has become. Ratings certainly has and will continue to factor into all the other bowls where the particular bowl committee has leeway on who they invite.

13. TAFBSooner

TAFBSooner Well-Known Member

You're thinking logically. I like Forde's bracket: #1 Clemson v. #4 Oklahoma, and #2 Bama v. #3 Domers.

Revenge on the orange tigers, then OU v. ND for the National Championship.

14. Soonerjeepman

Soonerjeepman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

actually had a friend, huge ksu guy telling everyone of FB about cheering for OU or OSU since they have the best shot to getting in....ALMOST a "sec" type deal..lol. Honestly I'd want a Big12 team in, even if it wasn't OU. But as long as we have a shot if we win out then so be it.

15. BigTip

BigTip Well-Known Member

The Bedlam winner, assuming both teams win this weekend, will be the outright Big 12 champion.
    I think it would be really, really difficult to leave them out of the final four.

16. I obviously hope we do get in but I honestly won't be upset if we don't.. Don't lose to a ****ty team that you are much better than.. and it's your rival, so there is no excuse for coming out flat against them for 3 straight years.

When you do that, you are putting your hope in other teams and the committee... Take care of your business when you get the opportunity.

17. BermudaSooner

BermudaSooner Well-Known Member

I see a lot more scenarios and probability of getting in if we win out, than probability of getting left out. The only real concern at this point it ND, and possibly Florida.

If OU were to hammer TCU and OSU, as long as ND doesn't hammer Stanford, we likely leap frog them. If OU just wins those games within 10 points, and ND hammers Stanford, they probably keep their spot above us. Both just barely win, who knows.

Florida beating Bama in the SEC championship game could be interesting as well. The committee puts such value in Bama, that beating them could cause Florida to jump into the picture.

Would love to see Meat Chicken beat OSU, and OSU beat Iowa in the Big 10 champ game...that could clear a spot.

Lots of football to be played...probably good if OSU beats Baylor this weekend. Would probably be the biggest OU-OSU game ever.

18. JLMSOONER

JLMSOONER New Member

I hope Clemson graduated most of its players from last year. Granted we are a better team than we were last year, but that was a huge black eye.

19. jkjsooner

jkjsooner New Member

But that would drop Bama out of the playoff race. They're not letting a two loss team (especially one who lost their last game) in.

I think you will have one team from the Big 10, one from the SEC, and one from the ACC either way. Iowa and NC both are lower now but should probably jump if they win out over OSU and Clemson.

My only concern is that OSU loses in their championship game but still goes to the playoffs giving the Big 10 two slots. (I guess I could worry the same about Clemson but I don't see the committee doing that if they lose to UNC.)

20. TAFBSooner

TAFBSooner Well-Known Member

If Florida wins out including SEC championship, would that drop 'Bama (11-2) below us?

Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future.