1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bob Stoops' Program Is The CFB Version Of Charlie Brown, Lucy And The Football

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by FaninAma, Oct 10, 2015.

1. FaninAma

FaninAma SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Did you think we would lose to the 1-4 dumpster fire known as the Texas football program? If you did I' d laugh at you. The apologists are always lowering the bar. We'll see how low even they allow it to go.

2. SoonerorLater

SoonerorLater Well-Known Member

Most people here aren't apologists just because we don't think the coaching staff should be fired after losing a game. Even a bad loss. I looked at this team as something like an 8-4 type team. At this point they are right about where I would have thought.

Going into the season there was some question about the offensive line and the secondary. Now there is no question about the offensive line. They aren't very good. We're fortunate to have Mayfield at QB or things would be much worse than they are.

3. graphster

graphster New Member

I didn't expect us to win the Big 12 this year, given how good TCU and Baylor are. But I do think it was reasonable to expect us to be able to beat everybody else (especially a Texas team that was reeling and isn't very good), and then at least be competitive in those games at the end of the season. This was supposed to be the year we made strides to get back to competing for championships. Instead, we're arguably worse than we were last year.

Imagine where we would be sitting right now if Tennessee wasn't the worst fourth quarter team in all of college football.

4. FaninAma

Again, how low and for how long? You are an apologist and that is OK but OU football will not survive on the die-hard apologists support alone. We didn't lose to a good non-conference team. We lost to a terrible, horrible team that also happens to be our biggest rival. Remember how coming off the great Sugar Bowl win last year was supposed to be our year? Yet here we are still another year(s) away from the level of Baylor football. Sad, just sad.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  5. SoonerorLater

SoonerorLater Well-Known Member

What you are lamenting is the very nature of football. Every week 50% of the teams win, 50% lose. Sometimes it's us, sometimes it's the other guy. I'm not sure why it is you would expect that OU is going to be the best or one of the best teams in the country year after year. It doesn't happen that way. It didn't happen that way for Bud or Barry either. Just a few years after Bud ran off 47 straight he was fielding a team having a losing season. Something that Stoops hasn't experienced to this point. If your enjoyment of OU Football rests on winning every game or being in a championship hunt each year then you are likely to be disappointed for the near future.

6. FaninAma

Like I said , you're an apologist. You find reasons to excuse subpar coaching performances. If this were 2008, 2010, or even 2011 I would be right there with you. But Stoops has now managed to lose to 2 of the 3 worst Texas teams of the past 30 years. He also salvaged OSU's season last year with THE stupidest play call of the last decade. If I thought it would get better I would be on your side but the evidence doesn't support your side.

7. Snrinhouston

Snrinhouston Active Member

I'm with you. The evidence is overwhelming that Stoops cannot maintain the historical OU standard of competing for National Titles.

For those who think otherwise, I wonder if they think O.J. didn't kill Nicole Brown or Ronald Goldman.

8. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

O.J. was acquitted in a court of law.

9. Snrinhouston

And how did he fare in the civil trial?

10. BoulderSooner79

I was just throwing out an irrelevant fact to help you take your mind off OU football before it ruins your whole weekend. Personally, I just went out for a bike ride in this beautiful fall weather and I'm over it now.

11. Curly Bill

Curly Bill I'm a shootist

So...people can't argue about Sooner football without it ruining their weekend?

This is part of the lame argument some use when you're not a "real fan" - that you must be miserable in your real life.

As for me at least, I'm perfectly capable of arguing that Bob Stoops is now sucking it up, and still enjoying the rest of my life. But maybe I'm the only one that can compartmentalize that way?!

BoulderSooner79 likes this.
  12. BoulderSooner79

CB, I wasn't worried about you - I'm sure your life is peachy. Just worried that our friend in Houston is posting from the ledge.

13. Snrinhouston

Thanks for the concern. Bob doesn't send me a bday card or help me with the lawn care. I am able to keep it in perspective

14. FaninAma

I didn't know commenting on a football board about football constituted a mental health issue. I think the only mental health issue should be why any serious Sooner fan should still care about the program at this point? It will only change when the automatic sell-outs of Owen Field come to an end.

BoulderSooner79 likes this.
  15. Snrinhouston

You are 100% right. That's probably the only thing that will get Boren's attention. I'd encourage Sooner fans that want regime change to watch the games at home, if at all.

16. Pride1Mom

Pride1Mom Member

I have gone to this game more times than I would like to admit. Some of you on this board weren't even born yet. Every year it is the same, the fans care more about the game than the players. Sometimes it is the Texas side, and sometimes it is the OU side, but the coaches can never get it through the players heads that NO MATTER what the teams' records are you can toss those out when this game is played.

This year Texas had NOTHING TO LOOSE! So they played like it, and OU came out flat. I don't care what the OU coaches said, anyone could see it on the field. I was not impressed with play calling, nor the defense when all Texas did was run the ball. I was hoping for half time adjustment, but that did not happen either.

17. PrideAlum

PrideAlum Member

There has not been a more true statement written. This game was the Longhorns bowl game