1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tennessee...I don't get it

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Serenity Now, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Serenity Now

Serenity Now Well-Known Member

They gave up 557 yards at home to BG. The first downs advantage of theirs was 29-24. BG is no powerhouse. It was 21-20 with 5:31 left in the 2nd quarter. We had some challenges getting the offense going but not to that level.

They "finished strong" last year is what we're told. They finished pretty average if you ask me. Iowa, Vandy, Kentucky, SC in OT were their 4 wins. They squeaked by Vandy who won 3 games and went 0-8 in conference. Vandy outgained them and they were even on 1st downs. Their win against SC was akin to our losses to OSU/KSU. The headline calls it a "miracle". Iowa? ISU beat them last year. Where did ISU finish in conference? Last. They won two games all year.

Momentum is minimal from my perspective. Will they be better? Maybe. Maybe not.

I don't know what makes anyone think this game is going to be so much different than last year's game. I'm not predicting some 34-10 win but I'm also thinking that we should be able to move the ball on them at least to the level that Bowling Green did and contain them to under 20 points with our defense.

OUmillenium likes this.
  2. KantoSooner

KantoSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

3. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I hope this year's game is very different than last years game. We got the type of big plays early that gave us a lead and then we needed 2 INTs in the endzone to keep them from making a comeback (1 was a pick 6). And while that was going on, our offense went totally dormant and could barely squeak out a 1st down. Our offense will have to be much more dynamic and consistent this time or that big tailback they have will wear us out before it's over. Both teams are very different than last year, so I think the game will play out very differently too.

4. swardboy

swardboy SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Thank you Serenity Now for the perspective. Takes a few butterflies out of my stomach!

After our air game "took off" Saturday I felt much better too. And you know Perine and Mixon are going to be a ground force to reckon with soon...hopefully it will be THIS Saturday.

5. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

What's wrong with butterflies in the belly? I thought the excitement was part of the total CFB entertainment experience. :friendly_wink:

6. tnraider1

tnraider1 Well-Known Member

I definitely have my concerns, but I also think this is a game we should win. Our history against mobile QB's and the overall ability of their running backs against our restructured DL worries me a little. Their fans will bring the noise which may impact our young OL, who had a couple of false starts at home last week. But BGSU threw the ball all over them too. If not for 3 uncalled PI's on 3rd down in the 3rd qtr (2 inside the redzone) and an unforced fumble on a read option inside the UT 5 yard line in the 4th qtr, that game would have been much closer. If Mayfield brings the accuracy he showcased last week, we will score in bunches. But the OL will have to fend off a pretty good pash rush and give him time to find the guys downfield.

7. tnraider1

tnraider1 Well-Known Member

Dobbs is a serious weapon, unlike Worley from last year who was a sitting duck in the pocket. He can change the game with his arm and with his legs. Looking at tape from last year and the BGSU game, He tends to work the pop passes, WR screens, and slants pretty well and also does well at finding the RBs in space. He is not however a big threat with the deep pass, which was our secondary's real weakness last year. If we can slow the running game down and force him to throw, we will be in good shape.