1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OU president believes Mixon and Shannon will be 'better people'

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by milesl, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Tear Down This Wall

Tear Down This Wall Well-Known Member

Again, if he'd just called some white guys fags, and some of his homies n*ggers, he'd still be sporting the scarlet and gold today. He could transfer here because Stoops, Boren, and Castiglione tolerate men beating women.

The only problem is, black quarterbacks don't get a fair shake here. We don't even recruit them much anymore, much less give them playing time. Outside of ENA, whose fumble during his first game in 2005 got him benched and moved to WR (until his white replacement was kicked off the team prior to the 2006 season), there hasn't been much in the way of black quarterbacks here during the Stoops era.

Quarterbacking at OU must be one of those "white privileges" the academics get so worked up about.

2. KantoSooner

KantoSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I'm trying to imagine you making that remark to any of those gentlemen's faces.
    But, no, it's like divding by zero; the entire premise just plain doesn't work.

3. Tear Down This Wall

Tear Down This Wall Well-Known Member

Gladly. The proof is on my side, so what different would it make? They don't like to hear the truth?

4. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

That's true! Thanks for letting me use your name-tag, btw. It got me a good seat with all the other long-term members.

5. EatLeadCommie

EatLeadCommie New Member

LeSean McCoy, is that you?

Stoops has employed a drop back QB every year until last year when he didn't have a choice and the pickins were slim. You don't see a lot of pro-style black QB prospects out there. They are usually classified as dual-threat. I'm sure if he could find a Jameis Winston Sans Rape Baggage he would. So if you want to blame Stoops for the style of offense he uses, go ahead and be my guest. But to say that black QBs don't get a fair shake from Stoops is missing the mark.

PT and RB were neck in neck in 2005 and PT stunk it up in the opener. It made sense to go to the freshman, who was presumably the face of OU football for the next 3-4 years.

6. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

You're welcome. Now fetch me a drink, boy.

7. mainline13

mainline13 Member

I've seen a number of people mention that Mixon "broke her face," but I've wondered all along, since he knocked her out, did someone catch her on the way down? Did pillows appear to protect her from - I don't know, a sidewalk, or concrete floor, or maybe one of those big picnic tables? I'm just asking, as I am not familiar with the place this all went down. And like nearly everyone, I haven't seen a video. In all likelihood, since she was unconscious, none of those things would likely have broken any bones. Probably.

8. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Could have been, but that is irrelevant. The punch knocked her out which caused the ensuing impact. And the remarks from the media people that saw the video said it was shockingly violent.

9. Soonerfan88

Soonerfan88 Well-Known Member

Also, there was a lot speculation about all the supposed broken bones that required extensive surgery. Molitor ran back to Texas as soon as she could and just a week or so later was posting pics on social media that didn't have any damage on her face. I'm pretty sure it was posted here in one of the threads right after it happened.

Even with the gay slurs, all reports have Molitor initiating first & second physcial contact before Mixon hit back. In the FSU case, dude is cutting in line when she does the slide/hip check thing we all do to block a cutter. He gets physical when he shoves her then grabs her arm. Definitely different scenarios to me.

10. Eielson

Really? I'd heard the opposite, and that Mixon would have been viewed as more of a victim had it been a guy instead of a girl harassing him.

11. KantoSooner

KantoSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Has Molitor been popped dealin' since then? Just curious.

12. BoulderSooner79

Maybe I'm miss remembering, but i'm pretty sure. Go lookup the story from the media who viewed it. I read a few accounts and they all were very similar. I certainly don't remember any hint that Mixon was a victim - that was only on homer fan boards.

13. BoulderSooner79

A quick lookup of one of the accounts:

From SoonerScoop's report on the video, writer Eddie Radesovich describes the moments leading up the punch, and its delivery:

Mixon begins to walk away and appears to say something to [Molitor's male friend] as he starts his exit out of frame. This is when Molitor initiates the physical contact with a two handed push. Mixon barely budges, clenching both fists by his side. Mixon now flinches/lunges at her. This is when Molitor strikes Mixon with an open hand across the left side of his neck.

Neither the push or the slap are significant in the least bit. What made the viewing even more uncomfortable -- perhaps more than I expected -- is the difference in size between Mixon and Molitor.

Following the slap across the left side of his neck (she can barely reach his face), Mixon unloads a violent right handed hook. There's really not a nice or clean way of saying it. Molitor immediately falls to the floor from the stirke, hitting her face on the edge of the table in the process. Mixon immediately bolts out of frame.

The guy that was standing there is still in view and is now joined by two other girls. They help a very, very wobbly Molitor up off the ground. She is bleeding from her nose, refusing the help being offered.

14. Eielson

You're right about the punch being violent. He landed quite a punch from what I've heard, and I'm sure it wouldn't go over well with the public.

After looking through some of the media reviews, though, I'm sticking to what I'd heard about him being somewhat of a victim. She called him over. He calmly left, and was attacked by her. He lunged as a warning, and then she attacked again. Then came the punch.

I don't condone men using violence against women, but I'd be lying if I said I felt the least bit bad for this woman, or that she didn't have it coming. He was certainly in the wrong, though. If she had been a man, Mixon would have been viewed as the victim. There's only so much I'm going to fault somebody for packing a meaner punch.

15. Salt City Sooner

Salt City Sooner New Member

I remember it being reported that the D.A. said that had it been a guy that Mixon hit, he wouldn't have filed charges at all.

16. Eielson

Yes. This is what I remember. I couldn't remember who said it, though.

Obviously it wasn't a guy, so that changes things, but still.

17. BoulderSooner79

It wouldn't go over well with a rational human being, let alone the public. I doubt there would be any defenders if Sooner fans were omitted. Victim of circumstance maybe, but he helped create the circumstance according to many reports. A 200lb+ guy who is all fast twitch muscle clocking a clearly impaired 120lb chick is firing a howitzer in response to a pea shooter. If Mixon felt a least bit threatened, they should torch his man card.

I haven't changed my opinion since it happened - I don't need to see the video to understand how it would appear. I probably would have done the same thing as Stoops/Boren. But only because Mixon turned 18 that day and had not officially been with the team - just the unsupervised summer 7x7 workouts. If it had been any player that had been with the team for a season or more, I would have immediately given him the boot.

18. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

Seems the DA said that if Mlitar had been a Guy Mixon would not have faced ANY charges. Something like that any way.

19. BoulderSooner79

So? Molitor is a chick and charges were filed. But even if no charges had been filed, Mixon would have dismissed from OU had the video gone public. A couple of ex-players said that Stoops explicitly calls this out every year when he talks about player behavior. "If a girl hits you, you better run away (in a great way)" or something like that. The implication being that a player is off the team if he hits a girl regardless of any legal justification. I assume Mixon was not around long enough to get that message since fall camp had not started and he did not enroll early for spring. Once a message like that is delivered, a coach has to follow through or he'll lose control of the team.

20. Eielson

If you expand your omission from Sooner fans to include friends, family, and the entire black community, then yes, you're right. An LSU player could be completely set up, but we're not going to rush to his defense if he's kicked off. When do we ever give teenage athletes the benefit of the doubt if we don't have a personal interest?

I've heard nothing of the sort.

I'm not as willing as you are to punish somebody for simply being strong or powerful.