1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OU president believes Mixon and Shannon will be 'better people'

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by milesl, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Whoops! Didn't mean to walk into an Aryan Brotherhood meeting.

2. Tear Down This Wall

Tear Down This Wall Well-Known Member

Agree. Funny thing is, if Mixon (black) had been knocked out by the girl (white), we'd have heard no end of how she must be a racist.

Black athlete breaks the face of a white women...meh...not racist at all, we're to believe.

The bottom line has become this:
    (1) Anything negative that happens to a black person is racist.
    (2) Anything negative that happens to a hispanic might be racist; however, if illegal, for sure, anything that happens to them is racist.
    (3) Nothing negative ever happens, apparently, to Asians, Indians, etc. because they are too busy studying.
    (4) Anything negative that happens to a white person is just the white person's own fault.

The main problem for blacks, we're led to believe, is "white privilege." We're never told, of course, how Asians, Indians, Iranian, West Africans and other ethic groups somehow succeed in spite of it. We're not even supposed to ask about those cultures and people.

3. FaninAma

FaninAma SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Edit: Not worth responding to.

4. Tear Down This Wall

Tear Down This Wall Well-Known Member

5. Eielson

So much for those well thought out opinions!

6. Curly Bill

Curly Bill I'm a shootist

I was in favor of Mixon being given a lollipop and a medal for not letting a drunken piece of trash get away with hitting him first (her possessing female genitalia be damned).

Do I win some sort of award as an anti-racist? And when you think about it supporting equal rights!

7. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

Why not? The dumb**** meeting was over anyhow, may as well make good use of your time.

8. SouthFortySooner

SouthFortySooner Well-Known Member

I'm not sure of the reasoning behind, "I'm going on record", or "I'm on record" statements. Is someone keeping records?

If they are, I've always wished he had hit her twice.

9. SoonerForLife92

SoonerForLife92 New Member

Girl and DA declined to press any charges.

10. FaninAma

FaninAma SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I am sure Boren didn't care that Mixon crushed a few of the girl's facial bones but I would have thought Mixon using the F word to describe a gay person would have set the PC-avenger side of Boren off like the N word did in the frat case. Like I said, I guess it all depends on who uses the epithet and whether or not they can bring a little $$$$ to the University.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  11. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

We went through a miserable (by OU standards) football season without them and I'm still not entirely sure what Joe Mixon and Frank Shannon did to warrant not playing last year. The only two OU players of note that I'm sure of what went wrong to cause them to miss the season was DGB (a long list) and Baker Mayfield (breaking Kliff's heart).

Isn't it amazing how the "crimes" can be so different and the punishment (no playing OU football for you!) can be the same?

Moot at this point. I hope all took the year off to become better people and players, and I certainly hope Baker's lesson is learned by others: Never, ever play football at Texas Tech. Don't walk on, don't preferred walk-on, don't sign anything, especially a letter of intent. Even if it's your only Big 12 option, go to UTEP instead. Or UTSA. Or SMU. Tech bad.

12. EatLeadCommie

EatLeadCommie New Member

This FSU QB being kicked off the team made me think of Mixon, especially since the FSU guy had his tape released and it really wasn't terrible (whereas Mixon knocked his girl out, the FSU guy just made her cry). It really isn't fair to the FSU kid that the way FSU handled Winston dictated how they'd overreact in his case.

13. badger

Kind of like how the NFL messed up Ray Rice dictated how they overreacted to the Adrian Peterson case. It happens. Life's not fair.

14. EatLeadCommie

EatLeadCommie New Member

15. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Both the Rice and FSU QB videos really show how much the public responds to video and in turn, how the people in charge respond to the public outrage. The Rice video didn't look that bad to me as it was fully inline with what I expected after already seeing the video of him dragging her limp body out of the elevator. And yet, the punch video made a huge difference after the fact. Now imagine the Rice/FSU QB video taken up a notch to break facial bones and you have the Mixon video. How OU kept the thing out of the public is a mystery to me.

16. badger

Do you know how much TMZ would pay for that video if Mixon is as elite as his five-star recruiting status implies he will be? Do you know how quickly some teenager/college age minimum wager would sell that video for a lowball offer if given the chance?

Run Samaje run! Return, Alex, return! Air raid, offense, air raid! :D

Bench, Mixon, bench :(

17. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Well, a full year has passed, and Mixon was suspended. The girl was knocked out, and he only hit her once, thankfully. The case was investigated. The video would be a smash hit(intended) for TMZ or whomever, but unless the NCAA wanted to sling its weight around more, OU may be out of the woods on the Mixon debacle.

18. badger

You might be right; there are definitely closet skeletons on other top players that have been allowed to remain locked away.

The lesson in all of this appears to be walk away. Don't confront, don't engage.

And for the love of all, don't walk on to Texas Tech :mad:

19. KantoSooner

KantoSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

from what Mixon was apparently showing prior to his ankle sprain, there's no way he'll ride the bench this year. I would love it if he absolutely exploded this season.

20. Eielson

Truth. I think Perine is more likely to ride the bench than Mixon (assuming they're both healthy and out of trouble).

I don't think either rides the bench, though.