1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New DB coach?

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Sooner in Tampa, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Sooner in Tampa

Sooner in Tampa SoonerFans.com Elite Member

There is not a lot of solid information concerning the search for a new DB coach, but I read this on TheFootballBrainiacs site and was instantly intrigued by the possibility...

2. SoonerMarkVA

SoonerMarkVA New Member

I'll be shocked if Stoops goes this far outside his circle. I frankly hope I'm wrong, and he'd be willing to consider going that far.

3. Scott D

Scott D SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Buckley is the make a splash guy, the 'sensible' guy is Vines.

4. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I think Viney would be an easy hire if the defense was in better shape. The fact that our secondary is FUBAR makes me think we need to bring in a big name guy that can tell Mike to STFU rather than promoting a grad assistant. Viney has already been with us two years, correct? Replacing BJW with a GA doesn't seem like it would do the trick for our defense. I don't know, though. Perhaps BJW was that terrible.

5. SoonerMarkVA

SoonerMarkVA New Member

Yeah, that's pretty much my take. I guess we can't know if Vines is going to be the next coaching guru or not, but so far Stoops' policy of "promote from my inner circle" has sucked. We need fresh blood to challenge what appears to be the group think going on within this staff. Monty certainly fit that bill, and he has worked out great so far.

6. cherokeebrewer

cherokeebrewer New Member

Promote Courtney 'Chip' Viney, replace Tim Kish and hopefully Mike finds another job...That's my story...

7. ouduckhunter

ouduckhunter New Member

Lordy, if ever the time was right to go outside his circle, it's now. If he does it's either because he just started drinking, or because he just quit.

8. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

Is Buckley coming up in conversations locally, or are they just throwing a name out there? I think he'd be a great addition, but I'm not sure how realistic it is.

9. rock on sooner

rock on sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Hmmm, lessee, a DB coach with NFL history and connections? Recruiting 101...
    send the coach of the DB's to the homes of the desired high school stars to talk
    up your program...couldn't hurt!

10. Sooner in Tampa

IF his name isn't coming up...it should! I mean really, it just makes too much sense NOT to at least explore it...I mean...a coach who puts on the cleats and SHOWS the players what he is talking about!! NO BRAINER

11. Breadburner

Breadburner Well-Known Member

I would sure check out Buckley up one side and down the other before I hired him.....

12. SicEmBaylor

SicEmBaylor Baylor Ambassador

We just hired a new DB coach as well with a very similar background to Buckley. I really don't know how well I'm sold on NFL position coaches transitioning to college ball.

13. KantoSooner

KantoSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Why? is he suspected of criminal activity? Has he been involved in scandal? "Open and notorious conduct involving moral turpitude"? Does he owe you money? Did he not call your sister back the next day?
    What manner of shadiness do you imply?

instigator likes this.
  14. Sooner in Tampa

He is the DB coach at Louisville...WTF are you talking about?

15. lexsooner

lexsooner Well-Known Member

He just doesn't do enough with all of his charities? Maybe people would feel better if Buckley changed his first name to "Cody" or "Wyatt" or "Brady?"

16. Scott D

Scott D SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Depends on how much of that same article that was linked in the OP you believe in relation to Vines. How much input does a GA get in terms of coaching the players. Would it be his problem that the schemes possibly weren't tailored to the talents of the players? Was the problem the "position coach" which let's be honest...wasn't really BJW, and it was very likely Michael Stoops. Was it because the secondary was pretty young for the most part? Was Julian Wilson really in the eyes of people here the second coming of Eric Bassey? If Vines is really as good at making the right connections with the right people when it comes to recruiting and the players on scholarship like him and credit him for development is he not worth taking a chance?

I don't have a preference to be honest, just as long as Mike Stoops isn't coaching secondary players or recruiting them I'm perfectly fine. The biggest edge Buckley can give is perhaps bringing in some of that Florida talent that had parents who watched him at Florida State.

17. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

I agree completely. I would love to have him on the staff, I was just curious if it had leaked out that OU was in conversation with him. Since there's no apparent connection to OU, I wonder how realistic is would be for him to come to OU. Then again, as much as some fans may bitch, Stoops' name carries a lot of weight in coaching circles, so I would be surprised if there weren't some interest on his part.

18. Eielson

I'm going to do something rather unusual for message boards, and admit I was wrong.

I'd felt like we were pretty average most years in pass defense, and just plain bad this year. I think I listened to message board fans too much, though. While we weren't unbelievably dominant, we were pretty darn good in the two previous years. If you look at the following statistics, you should notice something:

2014: 118th
    2013: 30th
    2012: 29th

I say this over and over, but the thing I hate most about message boards is that fans overreact with unbelievable predictability. With Mike, it's pretty obvious here. He's done a fine job overall in the secondary, but had one awful year. I knew that we had some issues in our secondary that made things look worse than they really were in the big picture, but I did't realize how good we've been.

Some of you may be looking at 30 and 29, and think that sounds painfully mediocre, but you need to take a few more things into account. The "#1 pass defense" was San Jose State. Do you really think they're the best? Many non-P5 schools undeservedly were ranked ahead of us. Also, even if they are in a P5 conference, it still may be misleading, because the Big XII can throw the ball around a lot better than most other conferences.

IMO, one of the best, although still not perfect, statistics is how you rank in your conference. OU ranked #1 and #2 in 2013 and 2014. That's pretty impressive.

With all that said, I switch my vote to Viney.

19. birddog

birddog SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Never heard of Vineyard til I read up on him. I think as far as a db coach he fits in well. He's not too far removed from his playing days at UCLA(finished at nmsu). He can prolly recruit really well because he's young and energetic. It's not a position that demands a ton of responsibility but going from a guy that coached for 42 years to Vineyard seems pretty damn appealing. I say bring it on.

20. Eielson

From what I've heard, it sounds like Viney and Monty might as well have recruited our entire defensive recruiting class by themselves.