1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New O coord

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by ObiKaTony, Jan 11, 2015.

1. This... I'd say 99 and then tapering off in 2000 and pretty much going away.

Spread offense and Air Raid are not the same.

2. TheHumanAlphabet

TheHumanAlphabet SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I would tend t agree with SoonerMarkVA, how soon does Stoops handcuff Riley on play calling? Stoops has been dictating this offense since just before Magino left, IMO. We have been playing Iowa ball for years. Now the hope I have, sionce Riley is new, he will have a free hand to install plays outside of Stoops comfort level. Perhaps this years and last year's poor O playcalling at times has opened his eyes to more agressive calls. I can only hope...

3. Tear Down This Wall

Tear Down This Wall Well-Known Member

4. Scott D

Scott D SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I find that I neither dislike or like the hire.

5. Tear Down This Wall

Make a special column for those who were clamoring for Scott Frost before last night's game.

6. rock on sooner

rock on sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Heh....

7. yankee

yankee New Member

I am excited about the hire because it's not Josh Heupel and it's someone that appears to have a system, and a system that appears to work very well.

All these annoying debbie downers in this thread appear to have watched a lot of East Carolina football the last few years and have come away unimpressed with their offense. Had no idea we had so many experts. Why didn't Bob defer to them for their vast knowledge? He's clearly losing it. Damn you Bob.

8. KantoSooner

KantoSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I remember citing 'personal correspondence' as a source in a high school paper I was writing on Henry Kissinger. I, too, was an expert.

BTW, my history teacher didn't buy into the concept.

9. dwarthog

dwarthog Well-Known Member

He was so yesterday....

10. winout

winout New Member

We don't need a dual threat qb... just one that can throw and scramble occasionally. Stoops should be preparing these guys for the NFL and "run and gun" offense isn't it.

11. yankee

yankee New Member

Baker is that guy.

12. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

jkm the stolen pifwafwi SoonerFans.com Elite Member

My guess is that Bob was looking for an OC that has proved that he can call plays and coach up his QBs at the same time.

13. winout

winout New Member

Great. I hope so.

Yet "the King" would be running what UO and Auburn run.... interesting. I guess he just can't shake his wishbone past.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  14. cherokeebrewer

cherokeebrewer New Member

I really like this hire and don't understand the criticism before he's even called his first play as a Sooner. He's a good recruiter, young, smart, intense and experienced. If not us, another major program was sure to hire him at some point.

15. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Because he hasn't run whatever pet scheme each criticizer wants.

16. OUmillenium

OUmillenium New Member

Welcome to the board Coach Stoops!

17. Tear Down This Wall

This is a Sinking Mack Brown-esque hire.

Mack hired Bryan Harsin from Boise State. Riley is Harsin...without the conference titles and major bowl wins.

Where is Mack now? Not on a college sideline.
    Where did Harsin go? After a brief step down at Arkansas State, he tucked his tail between his legs and went back to Boise. He quickly figured out he was nothing but G5 material.

Like I said weeks ago, Stoops doesn't want anyone with original ideas rocking his sinking ship. So, he goes for another, younger version of Heupel - a Leach disciple with no conference titles to his name.

In that regard, Leach must be extra pround - the kid's offenses set school records, but don't help win conference titles. Just like Mike at Texas Tech and now Wazzu.

The dumbing down of the OU coaching staff continues.

18. Tear Down This Wall

Here's my guess at young Lincoln's innovation:

Instead of throwing the ball four yards behind or past the line of scrimmage sideways, he has the OU QBs only throw three yards behind or past the line of scrimmage.

Also, Perine's gets 5-10 less touches per game. Hard to set school passing and receiving records when you are handing the ball off to your best player. Don't want to mess up the kid's resume/history of setting school passing and receiving records. That's what's important in the scheme of things.

19. KantoSooner

KantoSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

What could we do? Belichek was busy.

20. Breadburner

Breadburner Well-Known Member

It's going to be more like what Baylor runs.....If it gets executed properly...Running backs will thrive in this system......