1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Someone buy Art Briles a map...and, a clue.

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Tear Down This Wall, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Tear Down This Wall

Tear Down This Wall Well-Known Member

They aren't very hip to the New Math of out West, are they?

2. IamBigRed

IamBigRed New Member

That made me laugh out loud. Thanks, I needed that.

3. SicEmBaylor

SicEmBaylor Baylor Ambassador

You people are ****tards, and I'm not even going to respond to your idiocy. Choke on a ****.

PhiDeltBeers likes this.
  4. EatLeadCommie

EatLeadCommie New Member

Yep. Ohio State lost to Virginia Tech. That's all you need to know. If TCU and Baylor were OU and Texas, Ohio State would be on the outside looking in. Ohio State's big win gave the committee what they wanted-- an opportunity to avoid the controversy of Baylor leapfrogging (or not leapfrogging) TCU in the final rankings. Well, Baylor did leapfrog them, but nobody cares because they're #5 and not #4.

Tear Down This Wall likes this.
  5. Tear Down This Wall

We have a winner!

6. FaninAma

FaninAma SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I think there would a less than even chance, depending on each school's OOC wins that they may both gotten in.

7. FaninAma

C'mom SicEm, don't be like that. You know that Baylor should have never been rescued from the ash heap of the old SWC. Count your blessings that other programs carried your team for decades until you could string together a couple of decent seasons.

Until the last 3 seasons I'm pretty sure the Baylor program had a losing record.
    The definition of mediocre:
    [TABLE="class: infobox, width: 22"]
    [TR]
    [TH="colspan: 2, align: center"]Baylor Bears football
    [/TH]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="colspan: 2, align: center"]
    [TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD][​IMG]
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]2014 Baylor Bears football team
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="colspan: 2, align: center"][​IMG]

[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="align: left"]First season
    [/TH]
    [TD]1898 (115 years)
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="align: left"]Athletic director
    [/TH]
    [TD]Ian McCaw
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="align: left"]Head coach
    [/TH]
    [TD]Art Briles
    7th year, 55–33 (.625)
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="align: left"]Home stadium
    [/TH]
    [TD]McLane Stadium
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="align: left"]Year built
    [/TH]
    [TD]2014
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="align: left"]Stadium capacity
    [/TH]
    [TD]45,140
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="align: left"]Stadium surface
    [/TH]
    [TD]Field Turf
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="align: left"]Location
    [/TH]
    [TD]Waco, Texas
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="align: left"]Conference
    [/TH]
    [TD]Big 12
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="align: left"]All-time record
    [/TH]
    [TD]571–547–44 (.510)
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="align: left"]Postseason bowl record
    [/TH]
    [TD]10–10 (.500)
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="align: left"]Conference titles
    [/TH]
    [TD]9
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="align: left"]Heisman winners
    [/TH]
    [TD]1
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="align: left"]Consensus All-Americans
    [/TH]
    [TD]13[SUP][1][/SUP]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  8. bluedogok

bluedogok SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Because the anti-religious nature of the Pac schools that didn't want to admit a "religious institution", the California schools (especially Cal-Berkley) fought that one hard. They already have two private schools, one non-religious private in Stanford and USC that severed ties with the Methodist church in the 50's.

9. Salt City Sooner

Salt City Sooner New Member

Would you happen to have a link for that? I usually go by Sagarin this late in the year & he's got BU's schedule @ 56 w/ tOSU's only slightly better @ 52 (which speaks volumes about what he thinks about the B10 considering the total crappiness of BU's OOC's). FWIW, TCU's ahead of both of them @ 42.

10. SoonerorLater

SoonerorLater Well-Known Member

This is the link

http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/strength-of-schedule-by-team

11. Mookie91

Mookie91 Member

If OU was in Baylor's spot I'd be a little pissed. No team is winning 59-0 in the Big 12 or SEC against the 2nd best team in the conference with their 3rd string QB. The Big 10 is weak but Ohio State is a bigger brand than TCU or Baylor.

12. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

If OU had Baylor's resume, OU probably gets the nod of tOSU. At least that is TDTW's contention and I tend to agree. Of course, we would have the Vols on the OOC schedule, so we couldn't be in the exact some spot.

13. Salt City Sooner

Salt City Sooner New Member

Thanks. Interesting to look at. On one hand, I'm having a hard time believing BU's slate should be that high with the craptastic OOC's they had, but at the same time, I don't buy the top 7 most difficult schedules being all SEC teams like Sagarin says. Like they say, different strokes for different folks.

14. Bourbon St Sooner

Bourbon St Sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Not exactly. In his original post he said that the committee left out Baylor and TCU because the competition in the B12 is weak. But if that's what they were looking at, then no way a B10 team gets in because they were clearly the weakest conference. I get that the committee (ESPN) would prefer to have the Ohio State brand over purple frog and the women's basketball school. What we're incrementally working towards is what we should do now and blow up the current bullsh!t. Have a league with the top 20 or 30 name programs and have the playoffs determined by records like the NFL.

15. Tear Down This Wall

The Big 12 is weak. That Baylor and TCU finish at the top of the conference is the proof. This isn't as difficult as people make it out to be.

And, the Big 12 will get weaker if they add two more programs. Which, again, is why we need to go ahead and leave the Big 12 behind. Whatever "prestige" it thought it had is long gone.

16. SoonerorLater

SoonerorLater Well-Known Member

Yes. IF you want to have a playoff system in college football this is exactly what needs to be done. Not some Politburo like committee arbitrarily selecting their favorites.

17. FaninAma

The Big 12 is unsalvageable. We could have gotten into the lifeboat offered by the SEC and PAC-10 but we instead chose to go down with the ship because we couldn't save OSU. Admirable on Boren's part? Maybe. Stupid on his part? Most defeinitely.

18. Tear Down This Wall

I think Boren and Castiglione mistakenly thought that they had some sort of leverage and power in the deal. They were sorely mistaken. Pac-10 really wanted Texas, and would have taken us along with them. However, they never had any interest in the other eight schools.

Boren and Castiglione were wrong to tie our fortunes to Oklahoma State's and Texas'. No matter how much money T. Boone gave or gives Oklahoma State, it will always be Aggy. And, Texas never was going to play ball without its network. So, they tied a millstone around our necks by insisting we take along O-State with us.

I'm sure that the Pac-10 presidents laughed and guffawed about the whole thing, OU's president thinking he had the leverage to get OU and Oklahoma State in.

It was stupid then and would be stupid now if it were to happen again. I'm not sure why we Boren feels we have to be responsible for Oklahoma State's athletic future. They chose to spend and fund their department the way they did for decades. It's not our problem.

Same with the other schools in conference. At some point in history, some colleges and universities made more of an effort to grow their athletic departments and other did not. No one way was right or wrong. However, that doesn't mean we should have to have everyone who didn't put the effort and money into their athletic department for decades ride our coattails.

We don't owe anything to anybody. They did what they did in the past by choice. We did what we did. As a result, our brand is better. There's no shame in that.

Having stupidly shunned the SEC, and now shut out everywhere else due to numbers, Boren and Castiglione should approach the Pac-12 alone. I shudder at the thought of adding Cincinnati, Houston, BYU, or Boise State, further watering down the conference.

19. Tear Down This Wall

Dear Art Briles:

When you are ahead by three TDs in the fourth quarter, run the ball!

Signed,
    Barry Switzer
    Tom Osborn
    Ghost of Bear Bryant, and
    1,001 other coaches who understand it's okay to win games without setting passing records.

P.S. - Accept victory when victory is at hand.

20. cleller

cleller SoonerFans.com Elite Member

So, Baylor's just another Big 12 choke machine.