1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just got flipped by a panhandler

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by diverdog, Feb 26, 2014.

1. diverdog

diverdog New Member

I heard him going "sir, sir can I talk to you?" I just kept walking to my car and he kept following. I was seeing a client and in a not so good area. So I got in and as I was pulling out he blocked my path. So I asked him what was up and he says "I needs money". Now I was furious but I asked him politely to move and he wouldn't so I backed up and went around him. At that point he flipped me off and tried to spit on my car.

I really hate panhandlers and I have had dozens arrested on our corporate property. The problem is that you cannot get rid of these pest. The police can hold them for a day at most. I would prefer to put them on a chain gang.

2. Boomer.....

Boomer..... .....Sooner!

He just needed some beer money.

3. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Diver, you live in Tulsa? Here's why I'm asking.

There's this one guy who always hangs around the same place every day and apparently gets free lunch several times over. He's quiet, non-threatening, and you can walk by without him saying or doing anything.

Lately however, there have not just been aggressive shouters, but also straight-out cons in downtown. I heard from one downtown restaurant manager that the wheelchaired one was pushing it around herself after someone got her a sandwich. I have had more people talk to me since the New Year than in the past decade or so combined.

Admittedly, I gave one the Packer hat I was wearing once. It was extremely cold outside, and while I didn't believe his hard luck story, it seemed apparent that he was going to be spending hours outdoors in near/below zero wind chill. He asked for it (after I said I didn't have any money), saying he was a big Packers fan, so I obliged.

4. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

jkm the stolen pifwafwi SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I wonder how many times this same conversation has been had over the millennia?

5. diverdog

diverdog New Member

No I live in Dover Delaware. We never had this issue until the economy went south. Most of our problems are not home grown but rather rejects from places like Philly and Baltimore.

6. badger

I've been there. Had relatives in Delaware who recently passed on. No sales tax must be sweet :)

I'm amazed that with as many stories out there from professionals, the police, and everyone else that people still give panhandlers money. Perhaps people just don't want to deal with them and know that money will make them go away

7. Breadburner

Breadburner Well-Known Member

I ask them for a money first...Throws them completely off there game.....

8. Jacie

Jacie SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Dealing with panhandlers was practically a daily occurrence for me in Dallas. I decided early on they were not my job since given their number and habit of staking out routes I walked from bus-to-office-and-back, I could have easily been approached multiple times on any given day. For me the line it the sand was someone touching me in any way. Had a couple of incidents in 11 years and am fortunate neither of those spiraled out of control. It made me much less sensitive to the plight of the homeless to be put into such situations.

9. Taxman71

Taxman71 New Member

All 4 corners of May & Memorial in OKC....24/7.

10. SoonerStormchaser

SoonerStormchaser Emma's Daddy!

The panhandlers there are nowhere near as bad as the North African panhandlers I've encountered in Italy...or those goddamn Gypsies!

11. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Him being one of Cruelamerica's victims, you should have been pleased to help him out. Show those folks that the USA is now a kinder, gentler nation. We have Obear, and you should want to make him proud.

12. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

You haven't really experienced a panhandler until you've parked your car (in your parking garage) at 5:30 am on a cold winter morning, walked to the stairwell to get to the ground floor, and somewhere around the 3rd floor realize you have walked into a panhandlers bedroom. Complete with sleeping dog and small picture (in a frame) next to sleeping/passed out panhandler.

It was so sweet. The smell of human urine added just the right touch to the hallmark occasion.

13. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! SoonerFans.com Elite Member

shaking your head "no", as you look down and walk away, pretty much as soon as they approach you, usually works well.

14. SicEmBaylor

SicEmBaylor Baylor Ambassador

One of the many panhandlers by campus used to flip me off every morning on my way to class. It was sort of sweet that he always remembered.

15. badger

If you're a big dude, perhaps. If you're a little girl, it helps to look like you're fully aware of your surroundings and ready to fight/flight if threatened

16. SicEmBaylor

SicEmBaylor Baylor Ambassador

This is true.

17. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

Because you a Little Gurl?

the_ouskull likes this.
  18. badger

He swore off being a Baylor man when the team wouldn't stop wearing highlighter yellow

19. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

The economy going south had/has nothing to do with panhandlers. They're lazy/drugged/drunk/worthless ****s who aren't willing to work and would rather bum money from those that do. In other words, if Obama had a son...

20. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

Heh