1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Northwestern Players want to "unionize"

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by 8timechamps, Jan 28, 2014.

1. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

According to ESPN:

[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This will be dead on arrival. Student athletes are not employees. Wouldn't mind seeing the student athletes have a spot at the table going forward, but this is all about money, and it's not going anywhere.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]An education should be adequate compensation for a student athlete. I think today's 'immediate satisfaction' environment is driving a lot of this.[/FONT]

2. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Cut their schollies and recruit more kids.
    Meh.

3. Therealsouthsider

Therealsouthsider New Member

...fine, if they don't win they get fired

ss

ouflak likes this.
  4. ouflak

ouflak Oh wow! Oh wow! Oh wow!

You mean the way you only have to be 18 to go into professional baseball or hockey, or just 19 to go into the NBA (was also 18 until a few years ago)?

*shrug* They could. There's absolutely nothing stopping them from effectively ending any of these young people's possibilities of ever getting an education, perhaps permanently. In fact, they could ask Obama to go all Reagan on these guys and ban them from ever attending another university in the United States for the rest of their lives. After that success in crushing this, all of the coaches, ADs, and university presidents can get $100,000 raises in celebration. The money's there. That's for sure.

I wouldn't have a problem with this. In fact, if these young people are successful, I hope that is specifically written into any and every contract.

5. BetterSoonerThanLater

BetterSoonerThanLater SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Who's gonna pay their union dues?

This may be the dumbest thing I've seen in a long time.

6. ouflak

There are no dues at this time. You just are a member if you want to be and are a football player.

7. OUinFLA

OUinFLA Older Clique Member

I'm holding out for the Fans Union (sure to be shortened to FU) to be organized.

Medical coverage for undue stress is a must.
    Less than 10 win seasons are grounds for strikes.
    A seat at the table for coaches salaries is a given.
    Annual evaluation of staff is a must.
    Fan Union desires for popular player playing time is non-negotiable.

I'm sure you can add many other "union" requirements.

SoCalBigRed and Flagstaffsooner like this.
  8. Breadburner

Breadburner Well-Known Member

I wish we all had the balls to boycott all sports.....T.V.....and the internet to show all these entitled ****s who is the boss.....

9. Turd_Ferguson

Turd_Ferguson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

10. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

All Cheer leaders to dress more Skimpily and Have Huge Titties.

Cant believe you left that out Bill.

11. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

I hate to say this, but if graduate student teaching assistants are employees, then student-athletes can make the case as well. But really, what does that designation get them that they don't have already?

TAs are poor college students with an additional job that gives them a small stipend to counter/defray the cost of attending school. Is that the status that student-athletes want?

It's hard to not see the big money that coaches, schools and conferences are getting from TV deals and endorsements and not want a piece yourselves. At the same time, I'm not a fan of these teams because of the players, I'm a fan of OU, period. Kid decommits from OU, I'm not gonna follow him to LSU or wherever he LOIs. Kid transfers to Syracuse, bye bye that's the end of it.

12. OUinFLA

OUinFLA Older Clique Member

A major oversight on my part.
    I should not post in the early part of the morning.

13. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I never said that. I'm totally for the athlete, I think they should get a bigger stipend but I also know the value of their scholarship. I also know what can happen to your body when you put on football pads. I used to play.
    And school presidents are pocketing this success? Ha.
    I would venture to guess their job tougher than playing free safety.

14. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

At least wait till ya have had ONE cup of coffee or 3 beers yer choice .

15. badger

I also like the "fan union" idea. Didn't the Cleveland Browns have fan spokespeople back when they were getting Raven'd?

Here goes:
    1- You are free to raise ticket prices, but don't also subject us to more ad crap at the stadiums. We can see plenty of ads watching at home on TV, thanks
    2- You are free to require designated TV timeout time, but limit the commercial breaks to 2 minutes or less at any given time. If the TV timeout is over this limit, give the doofus with the orange sleeve the off-stage cane. Or, provide gongs for fans to strike when his time is up.
    3- You are free to set your own prices for in-stadium concessions. However, it should be expected that fans will continue to sneak in cheaper alternatives through security.

I really don't expect the stadium thing to last at the rate they're jacking up prices for the privilege of sitting on a hard bleacher in the sun/cold/rain/snow with long lines to everything necessary (food, drink and potty). So, I'm keeping the demand list short. Eventually, we'll have to start making TV demands instead.

16. jkjsooner

jkjsooner New Member

That has nothing to do with the NCAA and you know it. It is a NFL rule and it makes quite a lot of sense considering the physical demands of the sport.

The NBA added that year (and the D league) because the result of drafting high school kids was extremely detrimental to the league. Too many teams were gambling on trying to get the next Kobe or Garnett and too many of those were failing in the league. It would be much worse in the NFL.

If you want push for an NFL D league. The few who actually are good enough to make the D league out of high school (probably not a lot from Northwestern) can play for a couple of years making peanuts in relative obscurity.

17. One4OU

One4OU New Member

This will be interesting. Obviously any outcome will be years after the NW players have come and gone.

What will be interesting is decision to classify them as a student-athlete or employee. I think the scholarship contract that is signed and its content will be the key for the players, maybe even use actual graduation rates to imply they are their for sports only.

If they do somehow win this will that mean anything goes for recruiting? A school stipend may be better than a bidding war for players. Also how will this affect title 9? If they are employees does that mean equality for men and womens sports is irrelevant?

18. ouflak

Just to be clear are you referring to the NCAA, athletic directors, and media producers that are pocketing billions, and fully expect to pocket billions more in the near future with the current arrangements (thus are entitled)? Or are you referring to the student athletes who many here claim are getting 'paid' with a 'free' education.

Yeah I was just wondering what you meant by 'instant gratification as it is currently possible to get the 'instant gratification' of being a millionaire at the age of 18 if you are good enough to play in MLB or NHL, and only year later for the NBA. I assume then that this is not what you meant by 'instant gratification'?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  19. badger

Dunno... didn't the SOTU last night emphasize equal pay for equal work? I know that some might argue that it's harder to play football than do rowing, but... a whole new can of worms might be opened with this in mind. If football's 65 men's scholarships are suddenly not in play in Title IX discussions, either more men's non-revenue sports will be added (hahahahahahahaha) or women's non-revenue sports can be easily dropped while staying title ix compliant. Lawsuits, anybody???

Really, the NCAA needs to stop dicking around with the scholarship limitations and just let programs field full teams in sports rather than the equivalency crap that has resulted in a lot of sports becoming marginalized at the college level.

20. Curly Bill

Curly Bill I'm a shootist

It's totally stupid!

But...if they wanna be considered employees we need to collect those back taxes from their "wages."