1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facility upgrades

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by 8timechamps, Jan 23, 2014.

1. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

During last weekend's big recruiting visit, several recruits were told (by Schmidt) that OU is in the process of "building" a new weight room facility. I say "building" because as of the last official word, it's still in the analysis phase. Regardless, Schmidt must feel pretty confident if he's telling recruits about it, and that would gel with what we had heard earlier (about possible upgrades).

If you've never seen the weight room, it's located on the first floor of the Switzer Center. There's nothing "old" about it, but I've always thought it didn't quite reflect the program (the way the other facilities do). It's very narrow, but spans the length of the Switzer Center. Anyway, I starting thinking about this and a thought occurred to me, if they are going to upgrade the weight room, what exactly does that mean?

There isn't really any more room for them to expand, so outside of moving it to another building, I would think that's not really an option. The other option would be to make major changes to the end zone/Switzer Center. If I remember correctly, the way the stadium sits, it's not really possible to just bowl in the south end. Instead, they would have to scrape it and redo the entire south stands. While that would be a massive project, it would certainly take care of any expansion to the weight room as well as adding additional seats.

Thoughts?

2. sooneron

sooneron Soonerfans.com Elitist

I'm not sure if the south ends of the opposing sides (East West) match up perfectly either. I have always wanted them to bowl in the stadium, we'll se what happens. Dozing the South Endzone and enclosing would approach the $ that the East Side upper deck cost, maybe more in 2014/15 dollars. That's a lot of effing concrete to pour.

3. CatfishSooner

CatfishSooner New Member

I hope they bowl in the South Endzone!

4. swardboy

swardboy SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I swear somewhere I read that Shmidt said it would be a $350,000.000 job. That's massive.

Edit: I'm pretty sure I read it from some recruit's interview about his visit. I thought it was a misprint, or the young man mispoke. But if it's tied into stadium renovation it makes more sense.

5. birddog

birddog SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Good to see we are lifting weights. Perhaps we can compete in the big 2 now.

6. 8timechamps

If that's the number being thrown around, then that would lead me to believe it is, in fact, a major project. I'm sure the University will release information when the study is done, but it's starting to sound like a big time change.

7. birddog

birddog SoonerFans.com Elite Member

And instead of bowling the stadium maybe we can throw in some folding chairs to fill out the south ez. :). Kinda like a&m did when they tried and phailed miserably to break the world record for loudest stadium. Didn't seem to phase our boys at all.

8. TheUnnamedSooner

TheUnnamedSooner Well-Known Member

About a month or two ago I was one of the randomly selected season ticket holders to participate in a survey/give suggestions on upgrades. There wasn't much about weight room and such, more on upgrades to the football stadium and basketball. Looking at adding loge (sp?) seats and maybe some club like seats in the end zone as well as redoing the west press box.

I also thought it was interesting they asked our thoughts on tearing down and rebuilding LNC. Which I said was a ridiculous idea.

9. 8timechamps

Very interesting.

Sounds like whichever way they go, it's going to be more than just the Press Box facade upgrade we initially heard about.

10. 8timechamps

As long as we don't have a dog cemetery next to the stadium, I'm good.

11. Therealsouthsider

Therealsouthsider New Member

...I think we already have a dog buried somewhere under the stadium...mex the dog in 1928

ss

12. EatLeadCommie

EatLeadCommie New Member

Well they're definitely re-doing the press box so I wonder if all the other stuff is a foregone conclusion as well. The LNC should be replaced, but only if the fans will fill it. I was watching the ISU game the other day and the turnout sucked.

13. tycat947

tycat947 New Member

I think the $350M is a number that includes expansion/renovation of OMC ($250M) and renovation/new building of LNC ($100M). I also think these numbers are the limits set. May not spend the total amount. Once the two facility master plans are updated, they will then decide what renovations/expansions/new building will occur and when.

I would also think potentially with Headington Hall opening, they will more than likely raze Jeff House and Jones House and renovate Bud Wilkinson House in order to move the study center from under the north stands of OMC. So, they may be thinking of building a new weight room/other facilities where Jeff House or Jones House is now. Just a thought.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
    8timechamps likes this.
  14. Therealsouthsider

Therealsouthsider New Member

...building a new weight facility where Jeff house is makes sense (closer to the indoor facility), always thought it a little odd that it was adjoined to the Switzer center...plus with the weight room moved there will be ample room for more trophies:excitement:

ss

15. oupride

oupride New Member

It will probably take more than $350k to bowl the stadium.

16. Boomer.....

Boomer..... .....Sooner!

17. Mjcpr

Mjcpr SoonerFans.com Elite Member

They know a guy.

18. TheUnnamedSooner

TheUnnamedSooner Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I said. Because of attendance a whole new LNC would not be worth the millions of dollars. Upgrading it would make more seems until attendance increased. Increasing attendance I think it's the biggest challenge. Even with a better performing team attendance isn't great (from what I see on tv). I think it will be hard regardless considering the Thunder are less than 30 mins away.

19. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

I loved looking into the weight room back when I visited the practice field south of the stadium --- the big motivational quotes on the walls, etc. But, if it's not good enough for our guys, by all means upgrade it

20. KantoSooner

KantoSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I think we should get Punkah Wallahs. You know. Those guys with the over sized fans who kept Maharajahs cool on hot days. Having a coupla those guys following each player from weight station to weight station, fanning him, would probably be a real inducement for 18 year old elite athletes.