1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Okay Kool Aid drinkers...

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Curly Bill, Oct 12, 2013.

1. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

jkm the stolen pifwafwi SoonerFans.com Elite Member

As I've been saying since last spring, we are weak in the middle of our D. We showed signs of it against ND, but they didn't press it and kept trying to use it to open up their normal offense allowing Nelson (or Sanchez) to come up with a big play. Today we played without Nelson and without Phillips and a borderline unit became really weak in a hurry. The major difference was that -1 and 0 yardage plays became 3, 4, and 5 yard plays. This allowed them to just run the ball for most of the 1st half. Ndulae had a lot of tackles where he'd already been pushed back 3 yards. I just think we are still another year or 2 away from having a good interior line.

On offense, I don't even know what to say. This offense is such a mishmash of disjointed parts. The OL isn't very good at run blocking, but the FBs are so good at it that it works. WRs great in the passing game, but crappy run blockers yet we have a QB who is inconsistent at best at hitting them. Personally, there just seems to be a disconnect between what our OC wants our team to do and what they can do.

2. Curly Bill

Curly Bill I'm a shootist

Uh-oh, you done sorta said the SEC is better than the Big 12! We got a coupla posters around here that went all haywire last week about the untruth in that! Maybe seeing a trash Texas team beat us today will temper their enthusiasm for making that argument?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  3. dossett5

dossett5 New Member

How much control does Josh have? After 20 years of dealing with the egos of head coaches I'm going to guess Bob creates a game plan of what to call on certain down and distance and that is what is called. Josh alerts Bob of adjustments made by the opposing d and is a sounding board for Bob. Bob is not wired to let anybody take over his offense. We have not run any type of game management offense since Bradford's freshman year.

4. soonerhubs

soonerhubs SoonerFans.com Elite Member

1) OU was exposed for its weaknesses. I'll concede that they were overrated, and that they were outplayed and outcoached.
    2) Surprise! Surprise! So was this team, Einstein! This is the team that I said didn't belong in the top ten, as well, if you'll go look: http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=332850061

Honestly, I think Stoops and company should stay the course with what they're doing. It's a year removed, but I feel this change of philosophy has staying power.

5. bluedogok

bluedogok SoonerFans.com Elite Member

On defense I think they are improving but don't have the needed talent yet. On offense, I have no clue.

6. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

Completely healthy, this is a Top 10 team (not a Top 5 team, Top 10). With the injuries we are piling up, we are a 21-25 team.

7. TheHumanAlphabet

TheHumanAlphabet SoonerFans.com Elite Member

So, delete the game off my TIVO before I can watch it?

8. Curly Bill

Recruiting has not been a strength the past few years, and it isn't looking great for this coming class. Unless we are becoming much better at evaluating talent than others are, we are not getting that needed talent.

9. SoonerorLater

SoonerorLater Well-Known Member

I don't know. Maybe, but even completely healthy our DL is pretty ordinary at best. Our QB play is limited. I don't see this team as one that can come back from behind. Before the season I saw this team as an 8-4 type team. I would think that we are kind of in the 15-20 range at full strength. As we are now we are flirting with dropping out of the top 25 though after next week we probably go to 6-1.

10. Jason White's Third Knee

Jason White's Third Knee SoonerFans.com Elite Member

During most of the first half Alexander was horrible. Looked like he needed to know what the game plan was.

11. bluedogok

I thought starting the season they would be a 10-15 at best, I think 15-20 is a bit more realistic.

12. Jason White's Third Knee

Jason White's Third Knee SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I never do what I am about to do; Josh was incredibly predictable today. While formations give you a good idea of what the play call is, today it was remarkable. When we put in specific personnel, there is no versatility. And for the love of God, Ford blocking for Millard was pitiful.

13. Curly Bill

That was odd. Maybe that was our attempt at being sneaky? LOL

14. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

It was a variant of the Wishbone outside dive (which has a further option look off of it with the QB). The major difference was 2 fullbacks and 1 halfback vs 2 halfbacks and 1 fullback.

15. SOONER44EVER

SOONER44EVER SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Inverted Wishbone?

16. bluedogok

Pistolbone

17. Curly Bill

It wasn't odd in that I didn't know what it was, it was odd in that while I like Millard I don't wanna see him toting the ball while a halfback that we're apparently pretty high on is lead blocking. I'd like to see a lot more of Ford out there, but not as a blocker.

18. Jacie

Jacie SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Well, I said if I had to choose between beating sa*et and beating the domers, then let it be the domers but seeing the reality of it is b*tch.

19. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Depends. Do you let people tie you up and beat you for your own pleasure?

20. Curly Bill