1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What texas CAN do...

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by 8timechamps, Oct 8, 2013.

1. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

We all know how pathetic the texas defense is this year, so whether it be on the ground or through the air, OU should be able to move the ball and score.

As inept as Texas has been on defense, they're not a complete mess on offense and will have the best RBs we've seen all year. After last week's ISU game, Mack said they gave up on the run game too soon. That, combined with a desire to keep the score down, leads me to believe we'll see a healthy does of the whorn running game. It appears we have a pretty stout line this year (and I was very impressed with Jordan Wade last week), but texas knows we are wounded at linebacker. I think the whorns will try to establish an inside running game. Young Mr. Alexander is going to have to step up and prove to texas that he's not a weak link. If Franklin gets the nod, he'll have the same task.

McCoy, while not as terrible as we make him out to be, isn't going to win the game for them. But, if he's allowed to get clean looks, he can keep drives alive.

FirstandGoal likes this.
  2. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

I wont be surprised by a Close hard fought game Nor by a Blow out, OU wins either way.

8timechamps likes this.
  3. Jacie

Jacie SoonerFans.com Elite Member

We already know he can throw the hail mary . . .

8timechamps likes this.
  4. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Texas will com fired up. Then lose focus.

5. 8timechamps

My prediction too.

6. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

They will play a lot of man coverage; especially after our WRs showed problems getting separation last week. Not saying they will cover as well, but that's their tendency anyway. Sure would be nice to have a receiving TE matched up against an LB. Maybe we'll use Millard in that role, he seems to like putting the hurt on horns. I see us using a higher percentage of run plays than usual. The thing that is very different than the last 2 years is we don't have the kind of offense to pile up the points and knock them out of the game early. We'll have to be consistent and never let up. As we saw against TCU, a 13-0 halftime lead is not safe even though we totally dominated the 1st half. I don't expect our lead to be much bigger than that at half this week.

The emotional factor here is that no UT starter has ever beaten OU and I'm sure they would love to fix that. I see them as being focused this week and coming out fired up the way others have already mentioned. But a team in chaos will wilt pretty easily if things don't go their way. OUr guys need to play physical and hit them in the mouth early.

7. 8timechamps

I agree with what you said...in theory. :)

Texas' defense is just bad. I don't know if it's a heart/pride issue, a talent issue or a coaching issue, but it could be a combination of the three. I think Texas had two very good defensive players entering the year; Jordan Hicks and Quandre Diggs. Hicks is done, and Diggs, while good, is lost in the horrid-ness of the Texas defense.

I just don't see the Texas defense being able to stop the OU running game enough to stay in the game. If OU ends up with less than 200 yards in this one, I'll be surprised.

As for Texas being "up" for this game, I'm sure they will be, but recent history has shown that that doesn't do them much good.

I've said this several times in the last couple of years; the difference between OU players entering this game and Texas players entering this game:

OU players KNOW they can win. Texas players HOPE they can win. -and that's in a "normal" year. This isn't a "normal" year.

8. VA Sooner

VA Sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I see this being a closer game than most folks expect... the rivalry game always brings it to another level, especially if the public is expecting it.

Then I ready Mike Davis' tweet about his hit on ISU's Broomfield...

That being said... OU 42, Texas 12

9. SanDiegoSoonerGal

SanDiegoSoonerGal Allegedly Pokish

Am I not playing correctly if I say that Texas CAN jump up and bite my ***?

ouduckhunter and sooneron like this.
  10. MyT Oklahoma

MyT Oklahoma New Member

The eyes of Texas are a crying, all the live long day.
    The eyes of Texas are a crying, please make Mack go away.
    Can't you feel the beatdown coming, we do not stand a chance.
    Can't you feel the beatdown coming, OU will kick our a$$.

11. IronHorseSooner

IronHorseSooner New Member

Does anyone know if Phillips will play? I mean, Wade and Peterson played well last week...

12. stoopified

stoopified SoonerFans.com Elite Member

We are in BIG trouble.I saw a clip where UT players were saying they were motivated by the 63 points we scored on them last year and willl play ANGRY. I have to admit however that playing angry did not help them so far this year,considering their blowout losses to BYU and UCLA.

13. stoopified

stoopified SoonerFans.com Elite Member

On second thought the BURNT ORANGE COWS were likely holding back their MIGHTY, RIGHTEOUS, ANGER AND FURY just for us. I am shaking at the very core of my being at what awaits OUr Sooners Saturday . :D

14. ashley

ashley Well-Known Member

Conventional wisdom is that the worse you are in the secondary, and they have to know they are bad, the more zone you play.

15. olevetonahill

Can you post that Vid? I cant find it.

16. Widescreen

Widescreen SoonerFans.com Elite Member

The 55 points we put on them the prevous year didn't seem to make them angry enough to play well last year.

17. olevetonahill

Yea well this time they are REALLY mad.

ouduckhunter likes this.
  18. BigTip

BigTip Well-Known Member

Yup, NCAA rankings in the paper this morning.
    Rush Defense, 117th
    Pass Defense, 49th
    Total Defense, 108th

19. olevetonahill

I havnt watched Much just some of the ISU game, But I have a hard time seein em Stop our O and I dont think their O will be able to much against our D

20. Mac94

Mac94 New Member

Texas SHOULD rely heavily on the run game against OU ... but they SHOULD have done it last week against Iowa St but instead had McCoy throw it over 40 times. What should be the game plan and what they will actually do might not be all that connected. Hopefully OU will jump on Texas early and get a two score lead ... which will lead to Texas panicing and forcing things ... which will lead to turnovers ... which will lead to a the Sooners rolling and the Burnt Orange clad faithful that actually showed up in Dallas headed for the exits by halftime.

Just for grins, since Texas has struggled against the run, if OU gets a huge lead would love it if Knight came in and OU lined up in the old Wishbone formation will Millard, Williams and Ford or Clay. Go triple option on them to run clock and see if they can stop a throwback Sooner attack.