1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Mont makes list of Best College Bars

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by 8timechamps, Sep 4, 2013.

1. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

Really, they just listed the best bars at the top 25 ranked football schools: Here's the LINK.

Bonus: They mentioned the queso at The Mont!

2. okiewaker

okiewaker New Member

Not real fond of their food but the queso is outstanding,,,great atmosphere too.

3. Boomer.....

Boomer..... .....Sooner!

There's nothing wrong with a swirl and some queso, but I wouldn't think of it as a best college bar in Norman much less the nation.

4. 8timechamps

Agree with both of the above comments. I had no problem drinking at The Mont, and I think everyone knows they have good queso, but I was surprised it made the list for the best bar in Norman.

Eskimo Joes made the list for OSU, and that seemed right to me. I've never really spent much time in Stoolwater, so that and Hideaway are about the only places I've been.

5. SoonerBBall

SoonerBBall Well-Known Member

The Mont's service is atrocious. I have never been at a bar where the waitstaff was as rude and disinterested.

6. The couple of times I went, it was OK and I enjoyed myself with friends..If that's one of the best, the scene out there must be terrible.

7. SanJoaquinSooner

SanJoaquinSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Good to hear the Mont got better.

8. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

i've never had problems with The Mont, but it's not THAT special in Norman

9. SoonerStormchaser

SoonerStormchaser Emma's Daddy!

In my 11 years of living in Norman, I never once went to the Mont or O'Connells...even when I was a student.

And yet I survived...

10. the_ouskull

the_ouskull Well-Known Member

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

11. fadada1

fadada1 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Used to hit the swamp in Gainesville whilst in grad school at UF - 'bout twice a week. Fantastic wings... And the scenery was world-class.

12. 8timechamps

What's the best place to go in Norman nowadays?

It's been a looooong time since I was there for anything other than a game.

13. sooneron

sooneron Soonerfans.com Elitist

The Mont makes it because it is pretty much the Norman institution, thanks to O'Connell's being domained. It's popularity, like many bars, ebbs and flows. One minute it's thick with students, the next year it's not. Kids are fickle. The queso is good and the swirls are too on a hot day... or cold. It's sort of a rite of passage for so many that went to OU. You go there, have your queso and swirl and write some **** about an ex in the books. The best place to sit is really on either side of the fireplace in the corner booths. The mister system outside can make a hot day unbearable. I hate/love the place.

8timechamps likes this.
  14. SoonerBBall

SoonerBBall Well-Known Member

No doubt. It must have taken you a hell of a lot of cocaine to enjoy an evening spent at the Mont.

15. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

i don't know. they kinda all run together anymore... i guess the impression of campus bars drops a bit when you have lived here and worked on campus or been in school forever

i haven't had the queso or a swirl in probably too long though.

McNellie's and The Garage downtown are cool, and likely new in the timeframe since you have been here, i'm guessing. I haven't been to Das Boot Camp yet, but people seem to like it. it's like a smaller, cheaper Royal Bavaria

16. GDC

GDC New Member

I was not part of any kind of "in" crowd but I always liked the Library, and Bison Witches was ok.

17. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

oh, i forgot about Blu

i always seem to get dragged there for some reason, so i guess it's pretty popular, and somewhat new? to me at least. i remember it as Tony Marbell's

trivia at Bison Witches was fun, and the pizza at The Library is really good

18. BajaOklahoma

BajaOklahoma SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I miss the Jock Strap.

19. Boomer.....

Boomer..... .....Sooner!

I remember it as Cosina De Mino.

20. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

i was trying to remember what it was before that :D