1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

QB update

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Collier11, Aug 19, 2013.

1. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Past two years Bob: Do we need short yardage for a first down or touchdown? Get in there, Blake! :p

The "landry offense" might be out, but that doesn't mean that the start might cede to Belldozer (or a wildcat formation, perhaps???) on short yardage situations.

Then again, Belldozer was just basically holding a giant OSU sideline banner proclaiming what we were about to run on offense

2. EatLeadCommie

EatLeadCommie New Member

That's funny.

3. cherokeebrewer

cherokeebrewer New Member

Our nation could use more folks like yourself. Excellent post!

4. Jason White's Third Knee

Jason White's Third Knee SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Olevet has been offending people on this board for years. Why is everyone in an uproar now? He obviously isn't going to become enlightened on this subject due to a couple of posts. Any derogatory term has ONLY the power that YOU give it.

Getting shot at, or punched in the face is far worse than firing off some slang, but I could punch a guy in the face and drop an F-bomb and get no press. Fire off a racial epithet and I won't be able to run for office. Let's all get a grip, please.

Let's talk football. Oh, and Robert Smith mentioned on ESPN a couple of days ago that TK showed some flashes of brilliance that made him really stand out.

PS- I am not running for office.

5. KantoSooner

KantoSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Yeah, I never got the Paki thing either. Pakistan, after all, means, literally, "Land of the Pakis". If it were a derogatory term, you'd think they wouldn't have used it for their country's name.

6. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Third Knee nailed it --- please don't like the Internet or anyone on the Internet offend you.

BACK ON TOPIC!

Mike Gundy pulls a major copout today.

Stoops>Gundy. What a wussy

7. jk the sooner fan

jk the sooner fan loved by all

is the N word allowed here?

since gook is

a friend wants to know......

8. cherokeebrewer

cherokeebrewer New Member

I have not been offended, but yeah, I still think BB gets the start.

9. Jason White's Third Knee

Jason White's Third Knee SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Yet. He's a busy man. He'll get around to it.

10. jk the sooner fan

jk the sooner fan loved by all

personally i hate a QB platoon situation - but i think in this scenario - where it's clearly a "rebuilding" year - there's nothing wrong with sharing time between the both of them - let them both work with the 1's in a real game at full speed - then make the decision

i realize thats not a popular opinion but once you make a final decision - moving off of that creates even more strife than continuing the battle a couple games into the season

11. cleller

cleller SoonerFans.com Elite Member

OK, so Blevins has again said its Knight over at the KWTV.

Now, what about Bell? Can he get on the field in other ways? Just Belldozer formation, and save his for backup?

Really a tough situation for a good talent. We'll see how it shakes out by the end of the season, for sure.

12. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

For the LOVE OF GOD...STAY ON TOPIC!

That is all.

13. 8timechamps

I'm right there with you. I believe the saying "if you have two QBs, you have none" to be true, but in a situation like this...when the candidates seem almost too close to pick a "winner", why not let one guy separate himself on the field?

OU has three games to find the right starter, after that, I think a platoon situation would be difficult to make work.

14. swardboy

swardboy SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Someone is surely getting the most reps by now in practice. Are they closed to the public?

Or does the rumor confirm the practice scene?

15. 8timechamps

Practices have been closed (for the entire camp).

Until yesterday, SoonerSports was posting daily pictures and interviews with players...then it just stopped. Something's going on.

16. instigator

instigator SoonerFans.com Elite Member

17. 70sooner

70sooner High Plains Drifter

NORMAN — Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops named redshirt freshman Trevor Knight his starting quarterback for the Sooners' 2013 season opener, scheduled for Aug. 31 against Louisiana-Monroe on Owen Field.

Knight, a San Antonio native, beat out junior and once prohibitive favorite Blake Bell in Oklahoma's first quarterback battle since 2007, when future Heisman Trophy winner Sam Bradford won the job.

Knight becomes the Sooners' first starting quarterback not named Landry Jones since Bradford's season ending injury in the 2009 Red River Rivalry game against Texas.

Bell has rushed for 24 touchdowns over the past two seasons out of the short-yardage “Belldozer” package, when he would replace Jones in games, take a shotgun snap and plow forward for first downs and touchdowns.

Last August, Stoops announced Bell was the team's second-team quarterback, causing Drew Allen to eventually transfer to Syracuse for the 2013 season using the NCAA's postgraduate transfer rule.

Last season, Bell attempted only 16 passes, and five of them game in a 69-13 rout of hapless Florida A&M.

Knight passed for 2,092 yards with 27 touchdowns and only three interceptions — and recorded 943 yards and 15 scores on the ground — during his senior season at San Antonio's Ronald Reagan High School.

He had originally committed to Texas A&M in the spring of 2011, but switched his commitment to OU before his senior year of high school.

Knight spent the 2012 season redshirting at Oklahoma and was named as one of the Sooners' Scout Team Players of the Year.

The quarterback battle began in the spring between Bell, Knight and sophomore Kendal Thompson.

Thompson was considered a viable option until suffering a foot injury on the first day of the Sooners' preseason fall camp this month.

18. SoonerMarkVA

SoonerMarkVA New Member

Wow. I'm pretty stunned. I wonder what Bell does in response?

19. SoonerorLater

SoonerorLater Well-Known Member

Not much he can do now. He has two years eligibility and already used a redshirt year. Tough position for to be in for BB.

20. Scott D

Scott D SoonerFans.com Elite Member

As 2001 and 2005 have proven, just because someone is named the starter for the opener doesn't mean that guy will be the starter the entire season.