1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So much for freedom of the press

Discussion in 'TrumpFest 2016' started by TitoMorelli, May 19, 2013.

1. TitoMorelli

TitoMorelli New Member

Not that I'm a real big fan of AP or the MSM, but I still believe in the First Amendment:

The President and CEO of the Associated Press told CBS News that the Justice Department’s seizure of phone records was “unconstitutional” and has hurt the agency’s ability to report on the news. It’s not that the government doesn’t have the right to seize phone records, Gary Pruitt said, but the methodology was “so sweeping, so secretively, so abusively and harassingly overbroad" that it violated the Constitution.

While investigating the source of a leak that led to a story about a failed terror plot in Yemen, the Justice Department "issued a secret subpoena for the phone toll records for 21 AP phone lines and these were phones lines for reporters, direct lines, cell phones, home phones but also the office numbers," Pruitt said. The Justice Department is required to make its request as narrowly as possible. Plus, it should have informed the AP first, although it claimed an exception to that rule saying it would threaten the investigation. “But they have not explained why it would and we can't understand why it would."

Now AP reporters are having trouble getting sources to talk. "Officials that would normally talk to us, and people we talk to in the normal course of news gathering, are already saying they're a little reluctant to talk to us,” Pruitt said. “They fear that they will be monitored by the government."

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slat...lls_phone_records_probe_unconstitutional.html

2. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

i'm pretty sure i would use a burner for **** like that

TitoMorelli likes this.
  3. Midtowner

Midtowner New Member

On the one hand, we're happy with Bradley Manning being locked away. On the other, we're bemoaning the downfall of the freedom of the press. Which is it we value more? Secrecy or freedom?

4. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

personally, i like Bradley Manning, but you know, i'm a communist.

5. Sooner5030

Sooner5030 Well-Known Member

Huh? How is Manning even brought up in this conversation? He voluntarily took an oath and also signed a statement that he would not disclose information that he would gain access to while he served. He was compensated for his service but he did not hold up his end of the contract.

get over it

6. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

he should have just followed orders, huh?

7. Sooner5030

What the hell are you talking about? No one is allowed to leak classified information.....it's against regulation.

You watch too much TV. He wasn't some innocent civilian walking down the street who stumbled on some cables and wanted to get the "truth" out to a bunch of yermoms. He volunteered to serve in the Army and do it in a occupation that handles sensitive data. Part of that is to be trained to properly handle the data and follow all regulations in safeguarding it. He used the Army's trust to gain access to the SIPRnet in order to release information that he knew he did not have the authority to release. He was a Soldier and falls under a different set of rules than some civilian reporter.

8. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

9. Sooner5030

That cable revealed a letter TO the state department from someone claiming that those events occurred. Big deal. He still didn't have the authority to release it. Which is why his *** is in jail. Get over it.

10. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

11. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

A person shouldnt have to use a burner to feel safe from an intrusive government, Yet arnt you in favor of Gun control?

Manning swore THIS oath along with Millions of others. He broke it Nuff said

Oath of Enlistment.

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."
    (Title 10, US Code; Act of 5 May 1960 replacing the wording first adopted in 1789, with amendment effective 5 October 1962).

12. Midtowner

Midtowner New Member

Leaking information is always against regulation or policy or whatever. In the military, the problem was that things which were classified really shouldn't have been. For example, why should the video of the helicopter attack where the journalist was killed have been classified? How did that protect national security?

13. olevetonahill

Dont Matter what you or That PFC thought. It was way above His Pay grade to decide to leak the ****.

14. sappstuf

sappstuf New Member

Just imagine how much better the military would operate if PFCs could do whatever the **** they wanted! ;)

15. olevetonahill

matlock is a ****in idiot.

16. olevetonahill

dint really need to be said twice . LOL

17. cleller

cleller SoonerFans.com Elite Member

So because Bradley Manning got in trouble for leaking military info, no one should be upset that Obama is quashing the press and the constitution?

There's some kindergarten logic for you.

KABOOKIE likes this.
  18. olevetonahill

Ok so matlock by your logic. Say your secretary decided on her own that what was said an done between you an a client dint really need to be confidential, and sent the info to anyone who wanted to look at it. She should not be punished . Right?

Boy you are gonna grow up hard some day.

19. Midtowner

Midtowner New Member

She'd be fired immediately.

But I don't really see the difference between Manning and the high level leaks occurring regarding the IRS scandal or Benghazi or whatnot. The only difference is that one kind of leak is politically expedient for the folks in charge and the other's not.

20. olevetonahill

Course you dont see a difference yer an Idiot.