1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyprus bailout causes run on banks

Discussion in 'TrumpFest 2016' started by pphilfran, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Midtowner

Midtowner New Member

I don't think our 5th Amendment would allow that, and if it would, what would it even mean?

2. sappstuf

sappstuf New Member

I'm sure that is comforting to the average Cypriot of whom you were speaking...

The Russians with real means had their money safely in Dubai before the vote was ever taken...

3. diverdog

diverdog New Member

I think all of this was a bluff and a shot fired over the bow of Cyprus by the ECB/EU to tell them to get their **** in order. That includes getting rid of some level of corruption and gangster Russian money.

4. Midtowner

Midtowner New Member

And what a financial boon this will be to the Cayman banks. Do I see an uptick in Russian travel to the Caribbean in the near future?

5. Midtowner

Midtowner New Member

Your evidence for this is what? Healthy skepticism?

6. pphilfran

pphilfran SoonerFans.com Elite Member

probably

7. TheHumanAlphabet

TheHumanAlphabet SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Now New Zealand wants to shave the banking accounts... It has only started...

8. diverdog

diverdog New Member

Or Delaware.

9. pphilfran

Voted down by Parliament...

10. TheHumanAlphabet

TheHumanAlphabet SoonerFans.com Elite Member

So is the EU gonna kick them out?

11. Midtowner

Midtowner New Member

What happens now is that the national bank will fail, likely causing entitlements and other obligations of the government to go unfunded. There'll be a run on the bank and Cypriots are going to feel pretty bad for not voting for this thing when they lose all of their savings.

I understand the EU guarantees accounts up to 100K Euros.

12. pphilfran

Hammer hits nail

13. pphilfran

They do say they have a Plan B....though I haven't seen the thing...

14. pphilfran

To get the bailout money they need 7 billion US in cash from somewhere...

If they don't then Germany won't agree and then Mid's take hits the road running...

15. Sooner5030

Sooner5030 Well-Known Member

[video=youtube;JMf_KwQ2Xlk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JMf_KwQ2Xlk[/video]

16. BigTip

BigTip Well-Known Member

Another reason to buy gold.
    Real gold. Not derivatives.

17. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

you know, until it's illegal

18. BigTip

BigTip Well-Known Member

That's another advantage. A whole bunch is very easy to hide. From everyone.

19. sappstuf

sappstuf New Member

Rich people can act in ways that regular folks can only dream of.

I would call it a universal truth or common sense..

Talk of Russian oil companies bailing out the banks in exchange for gas rights means that while you think the 10% rule would stick it to those rich Russians, the actual end result is those Russians may actually get richer just from the proposal of the 10% rule.

Unintended consequences...

20. cleller

cleller SoonerFans.com Elite Member

In that video a few posts up they mentioned that in 2010 deposits into Cyprus banks from Britain were almost double that of Russia. One of the men speaking is a libertarian leaning British Member of European Parliament. (Nigel Farage) He makes his position clear: get your money out of Southern European banks; you've got to be mad to invest in the Euro Zone.

Talk about contagion.