1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The KING OF LIES Diverts Blame on Sequestration

Discussion in 'TrumpFest 2016' started by soonercruiser, Feb 19, 2013.

1. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

So, Counting yer chickens before they hatch.

2. Bourbon St Sooner

Bourbon St Sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

And 4 years of massive deficit spending has yielded little to no economic growth. At what point do you admit that the current course is not working.

The goal of fiscal policy is not to prevent recessions. There have been times in the past where policy makers have purposefully taken the country into recession. The latest was in the early 80s when we were dealing with stagflation. They decided to take out the easiest piece to deal with, which was the inflation. It caused a recession and we came out of it with no inflation and a much stronger economy.

Today we have a stagnant economy with an unsustainable debt bubble. The easiest part of that to deal with is the debt bubble. If the gov't shows it serious about dealing with the unsustainable budget deficits it will increase business confidence in the long run.

XingTheRubicon likes this.
  3. XingTheRubicon

XingTheRubicon SoonerFans.com Elite Member

you might as well have written that in Latin ^^^^^^^^

4. FaninAma

FaninAma SoonerFans.com Elite Member

You are going to be disappointed.

5. FaninAma

I think we all agree. The thing we disagree on is that it can be done with massive government spending.

6. diverdog

diverdog New Member

The problem is cutting spending is not a zero sum game. It will affect far more than government programs.

Correct me if I am wrong Reagan was saved by a decrease in oil prices and a massive increase in deficit spending.

7. okie52

okie52 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Saved for what...1986? Because that is when oil prices took a nosedive.

8. diverdog

diverdog New Member

Even larger deficits.

I forgot to add he also devaluated the dollar.

9. FaninAma

Thanks to the Democratic controlled Congress not following through on the spending cuts they promised. Reagan was a good President but Tip O'Neil played him like a fiddle on this issue.

10. diverdog

diverdog New Member

Reagan spent plenty on his own.

11. FaninAma

I never said he didn't. I just wanted to point out that the budget cuts promised by the Democrats in their negotiations with Reagan never materialized.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  12. TheHumanAlphabet

TheHumanAlphabet SoonerFans.com Elite Member

He is building in defacto reparations to the former slave population... Regardless if they can prove lineage or not...

13. Bourbon St Sooner

I don't know if "massive" deficit spending drove the economy of the 80s. Productivity increases led by advances in technology probably had a lot more to do with it. Anyways we know that massive deficit spending isn't pumping up this economy.

My point was that they had two problems they had to deal with. They chose to tackle the easiest thing to quelch - inflation - at the same time driving the economy into recession. That allowed business confidence to return and growth to pick up.

14. diverdog

diverdog New Member

And it was Carter's boy Volker who did the dirty work.

15. Bourbon St Sooner

Volker did the dirty work after Reagan brought in Friedman on his council of economic advisors. Before that he sat there with his thumb up his ***.

16. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

Apparently never.

As was pointed out earlier, we are not past the point of no return, but we're damn near close.

It's hard for me to see us getting through this without a recession though, the trick is to get it over quickly, then get the economy moving the right direction. Doing the same old thing isn't going to get us there.

17. Sooner5030

Sooner5030 Well-Known Member

8% growth in government debt in order to get 2% growth in GDP when total government debt already exceeds 100% of GDP is insane.

Borrowing does not "create" growth.....it just reschedules it from the future.

18. SoonerorLater

SoonerorLater Well-Known Member

The only question at this point is when we will be checkmated. Maybe this can be kicked down the road for a little longer but the end is near. There is absolutely no chance this doesn't end in financial collapse. None whatsoever.

19. diverdog

diverdog New Member

Are you talking about supply side economics?

20. Bourbon St Sooner

If you just look at the current national debt it's manageable. But if you take into account the current deficit spending and lack of economic growth, we are clearly on a path to financial disaster.