1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seau's Family Sues NFL/Helmet Manufacturer

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by FaninAma, Jan 23, 2013.

1. EatLeadCommie

EatLeadCommie New Member

Money is a big part of it and should not be underestimated-- for the lawyers and Seau's family, who have seen his NFL pension dry up due to his death.

2. cyclonesooner

cyclonesooner New Member

Back in the 1960's-80's when fb officials were pretty darned good at consistently penalizing players for using the crown of their helmets to spear or tackle with, or pile on well after the play was over, we didn't have near as many problems and it made for a better game. But over the last 20 years, spearing with helmet has trickled down from the pro game to high school ball. There is no excuse for it. Those in charge of making and enforcing the rules have only themselves to blame.
    Most of the video you see where someone is seriously injured or paralyzed, poor tackling with the head well down is nearly always the culprit. The same goes with the holding penalty in football. Call what the rule book says. Hands can't grasp outside the framework of the body. If they do it, call it..

3. jkjsooner

jkjsooner New Member

I get suing the NFL because for years they allowed teams to push guys on the field after injuries. In too many cases teams' medical staffs were there to represent the team's interest.

but the helmet manufacturer? They are the ones who have tried their hardest to protect players. They spend millions yearly tring to improve the helmets. What exactly does the Seau family expect?

There is a strong argument that the helmets are too good and that increases risk because of reckless play. That's hardly a valid criticism of the helmet manufacturer.

4. jkjsooner

jkjsooner New Member

I think one of the best ways to make the game more safe is to go back to the days where substitutions are limited. If guys have to play almost every down, you wouldn't have 320 lbs linemen.

Rugby doesn't seem to have the prevalence of serious head injuries that we have. It might be in part because of the lack of padding but I think that the game also requires a different level of stamina which reduces the size that rugby players can be.

There is also a fundamental difference in the nature of the games. American football because it is based on the 10 yard first down concept, hitting in a way that stops the opponent without giving up any ground is very important. As one person said, rugby is about tackling and football is about collisions.

I suppose that's one reason football will always be a dangerous sport...

5. CobraKai

CobraKai New Member

I think all of the former players that took a head-rattling hit from Junior Seau should file a class action suit against Seau's family.

6. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

Such a true idea. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.