1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

End of a Radio Era

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by Wishboned, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Wishboned

Wishboned New Member

After 27 years of being a fixture of Tulsa morning radio Phil and Brent are no longer a part of KMOD.

They couldn't come to a contract agreement so Clear Channel showed them the door.

I guess everything has to end sometime.

2. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! SoonerFans.com Elite Member

They can get a gig out in Drumright or Cleveland, I think.

3. GDC

GDC New Member

That sucks.

4. Mjcpr

Mjcpr SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I thought they were on until next Friday.

5. Wishboned

Wishboned New Member

There was a change in plans. My best guess was management might have been afraid of what they would say on their last show.

6. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Those guys were funny but some of it was a bit much for public radio.
    I remember seeing them at Hooters during happy hour the Friday evening before OU/Nebraska in 2000. They are big Sooner fans.

7. bluedogok

bluedogok SoonerFans.com Elite Member

The big radio conglomerates are getting rid of these type of local guys who command heftier contracts, they would rather do the same show out of LA or NYC on all stations to save money. It's been happening all over the country.

8. tulsaoilerfan

tulsaoilerfan Ready for Baseball Season

They are bringing in some guys named Biggie and Corbin, or something like that, to take over for Phil and Brent; KMOD can kiss my ***

9. Turd_Ferguson

Turd_Ferguson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Roy Damn Mercer - RIP.

10. Oldnslo

Oldnslo Radioman

They'd had enough. Brent had been talking about retirement for a couple of years. Personally, I don't think that the new guys on KMOD will work out. My friends at Cox have revamped 103.3. Billy Madison show is in the morning, and they've made the station harder rock throughout. Give it a listen, when you're not digging Mix 96 (especially What's Your Problem Wednesday from 7-8 every Wednesday Morning, with me, Dave and Lindsey!)

11. Mjcpr

103.3 isn't classic rock anymore?

12. Wishboned

Wishboned New Member

I enjoy listening to you Adam, but I can't stand their morning show.

13. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

I don't think any radio personality other than Howard Stern gets paid a ton. But yeah, having everyone across the country listen to the same show is tons cheaper than having a bunch of local guys.

Tell em how you feel with your ears. I don't listen to KMOD unless all the other stations I have preset are at commercial (especially those annoying "At the Beach" commercials)

14. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

i want to punch the At the Beach lady

i mostly listen to Bob and Tom now

15. Mjcpr

Me either. I ran across KMOD yesterday or Monday morning and they had some woman on their crying and whaling about some kind of abuse she had suffered and those two new goobers were trying to sound like a couple of therapists trying to talk her down off the ledge. I left the station and when I came back a few minutes later they were still going on on and on with her. I'm thinking that probably isn't what the typical KMOD listner wants to hear from their "Rock Station" but I could be wrong. :D

16. OUmillenium

OUmillenium New Member

I heard some really weak radio the weak after Phil and Brent were gone on KMOD. I always listen to 1430am or Rivals/Yahoo college sports on Sirius/XM. If those 2 are on commercial then I listen to the Sports Animal if they are talking OU.

I will have to check out 103.3 more. I flipped by the other day and heard some good stuff, so what you said about them getting harder makes sense.

17. Wishboned

Wishboned New Member

They just announced that Phil Stone has passed away.

18. tulsaoilerfan

tulsaoilerfan Ready for Baseball Season

RIP Phil you will be missed by many many many loyal KMOD listeners; what a sad deal

19. rock on sooner

rock on sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Not trying to turn this political, but aren't Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck, Ingraham, along with
    Stern and Imus considered radio personalities? Or, is this a local discussion? If so, just
    ignore me.

20. bluedogok

bluedogok SoonerFans.com Elite Member

National syndication talk radio is a completely different market dynamic than local radio.